Serial numbers

rockmanostrem

Recruit
Hello, l'm getting a derelict 1975 26' Yukon Delta houseboat for free. Big surprise right?Looking for a photo of the serial number font/characters. The transom was rebuilt at some point and I am unable to locate any ID numbers for the boat(assuming the numbers were in the transom). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Andy

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

I dunno' where the HIN would be on a houseboat. Generally in smaller boats they're in the stern and then again somewhere near the helm, but that's not always the case. Assuming you didn't get any paperwork with the boat, I would suggest contacting the local registration agency and find out what they would need you to do. Some states are a lot easier than others.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree with 'kogs, contact your local office to find out your requirement

just a heads up, a 42 year old housboat will need some attention. there may be a reason it was left derelict

is this an aluminum hull, steel hull, or fiberglass hull

rockmanostrem

Recruit
Fiberglass hull,been sitting out of water for 30 years . In Washington State,been to the DMV twice with the son of the owner (deceased) with a decent paper history but no title. DMV wants a pencil rubbing of the serial numbers to reenter the boat back into their system. Without the numbers the boat doesn't exist according to the DMV who are not the easiest to work with. I'm very aware of the issues this boat has,need a complete refit. I'm a home builder/general contractor and have refit two runabouts in the past. Again, thanks for any help.

southkogs

Staff member
Does the paperwork have the HIN in it? LOL - grab a tool and etch the number into the transom :D

Old Ironmaker

Captain
An 40 something year old house boat that has sat for 30 years makes a nice bunky for guests. To be serious for a second with your background it should turn out very nice, all depending on budget. Restorations can suck money faster than a Dyson.

Keep us updated when you start the rebuild.

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Maybe there`s a sticker inside one of the cabinets inside kinda like an RV trailer does? Just throwing that out there.