Keeping it under the covers.

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
I live in an area where we get intense sun and winters, and I want to keep the boat out of the snow/sun. I live in a resort area, so covered boat storage is not only expensive - there's a list to get one. I'm thinking about those portable RV storage units, but I don't know which one is the best bang for the Buck$Zooka round. I've seen them between $1,600 and $6,000 - but the internet is a poor way to judge the quality of each. I like to have good stuff that works, but I protest making payments on an elaborate tarp - so I'm wondering if anybody has a suggestion for a reasonably-priced unit that I want to last about 8 years.

My boat/trailer is 30 feet long and almost 14 feet high.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I went with an aluminum boat/rv carport. They make them in any size you need and aren't that expensive. Mine is 14 wide, 25 long and 12 high. Installed it was about $1400.

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
That sounds great! Where did you find that? Is it permanent or portable? I ask that because you used the word "installed". I'm selling my home in preparation for retirement, and I'm going to rent for a few years.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
This is the site I used after looking at many other sites. http://www.metalcarportdepotllc.com/Default.asp
By installed I mean they used screw type anchors in about a foot. The whole carport can be disassembled and moved. I got the A-frame type.
This is when I first got it installed with my old boat under it.
3_zpsec793f34.jpg

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
Based on this, I'd have to say the metal units are cheaper than the plastic ones. I didn't see that coming... but I should have, knowing how expensive plastic is getting. Thank you for your help with that.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
if you have room Just a thought two 40 foot shipping containers. Dep on where you are in Washington right? No permit required. Before you have them placed get brackets welded to anchor a beam along each outside wall. A lot of the container places would do this for you before they drop it. Place them and have an actual truss roof built over them that could be unbolted. Probably run you about what one cheap portable shelter would for a boat that size. But it you would also gain a lot of storage. I have a gas line eating an easement through my back lot. Cant build anything permanent there. Thinking about doing this exact thing. Similar climate. Im south central Washington. We call those portable storage things. KITES.