what to do with piling stump?

jackrabbit66

Seaman
So at my families waterfront property there is a seawall. There used to be a set of stairs for the seawall but it was destroyed almost 10 years ago during a hurricane. For a long time the pilings were left sticking out of the water and were used to tie up boats. At some point in the last couple of years they broke off and now all that is left is a stump sticking out of the sand about 6".

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to dig down around the piling and cut off the stump below the surface. Is there an easier method to get rid of a submerged piling stump other than cutting it off with a hand saw?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
det chord, however it upsets the neighbors

a bow saw works best for cutting in water

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Any way t tie off to it and pull it out with either boat or vehicle? :noidea:

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I don't quite quite understand. These piling only stick out of the sand 6 inches? If they only stick up 6 inches then I assume they are not in the water - correct? What's the diameter of these piling? A little clarification and we may be able to give you better information.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I know a man who lost his pier from a hurricane. He used a chain and a comealong (fence stretcher). He hooked it up to a tree and let the tide do the rest. I remember that the chain was very tight. He tightened it every day with a cheater bar. It was slow; but it worked.

shrew

Lieutenant
. For a long time the pilings were left sticking out of the water and were used to tie up boats. At some point in the last couple of years they broke off and now all that is left is a stump sticking out of the sand about 6".

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to dig down around the piling and cut off the stump below the surface. Is there an easier method to get rid of a submerged piling stump other than cutting it off with a hand saw?

It sounds to me like the piling is underwater and sticking out of the seabed approx. 6 inches. Now potruding 6 inches from the seabed seems rather innocent. Is it possible they are underwater, yet sticking 6 FEET above the seabed?

jackrabbit66

Seaman
Sorry, The stump is in shallow water. at times i only have about 2 feet of water to work with. Have to raise the prop at low tide when boating around this area. Lots of boats pull up to this seawall to let passengers on and off. The concern is someone wont see the piling and hit it with the prop. Need to cut it off or pull it out. no trees in this area or anything to use with a winch, cant get a car back there. The piling is around 7-8" thick.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Cutting it off is temporary at best. Next storm 6 more inches gets exposed.

Better to remove or mark

ahicks

Captain
An idea maybe. Set up some sort of temporary tripod (2x4?) and use a come along/winch to pull it (slowly, allowing water time to break the vacuum).

I know exactly why you would want that out of there..... just for the toe stubbing hazard if nothing else!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
An idea maybe. Set up some sort of temporary tripod (2x4?) and use a come along/winch to pull it (slowly, allowing water time to break the vacuum).

I know exactly why you would want that out of there..... just for the toe stubbing hazard if nothing else!

This is a pretty clever idea!

spoon059

Cadet
I'd get a buoy and attach it to the post. That way you know where it is... I like to work smarter, not harder.