What is the windlass control arm for?

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Windlass motor was burnt up so I disaambled the windlass and had the motor re-wound. During re-assembly, I lost track of how the "control arm" was installed. I know it was spring loaded, but how tightly wound should the sping be? What purpose does it serve? Just to prevent the rode from popping off the gypsy? It is a 2000 vintage simpson-lawrence 600 series.

As always, thanks foir everyone's help.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I can't answer about how much spring tension you need, but the arm is there to 1. guide the rode to the hole leading to the locker, and 2. to activate a cutoff switch. If the anchor rode has a hockle in it, or for some other reason stops feeding down into the anchor locker, it'll back up, force the arm out and stop the windlass motor until you clear the jam. Keeps it from 'running away' and spewing the rode everywhere.

My advice would be to contact the windlass manufacturer.

My .02

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
JoLin

Thanks for the info. My control arm isn't connected to anything that would prevent the motor from spinning in the case you described. It's simply a sping loaded keeper. But as a look at similiar models (Simpson is out of business), none of them are connected to anyything that would cut power to the motor.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Yup. I think I was wrong on that point. BTW, the proper name for the control arm is a 'flemming'. Couldn't remember it when I posted.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
My powerwinch windlass "finger" (that's what they call it) has about 2 or 3 pounds of down force (I can easily lift it with one finger) and sometimes it's not enough for the rope section of my rode. I don't think you are referring to the flemming.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Well, maybe I should have been more poingant. I haven't put it to use yet, but in testing the gypsy doesn't really seem to grab the rode. If I apply any amount of force to the rode, the gypsy just slips. To the extent, that I don't really believe the entirety of the problem is a worn rode, but perhaps something not adjusted properly. But then again, I tend to have denial issues......

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Found this on another forum- seems to make sense...

Does the rope and/or chain slip in the gypsy teeth/chain pockets as the gyosy turns, or does the rope/chain stay put in the teeth/pocket of the gypsy while the shaft spins underneath the domed top of the unit?

In the first case, the gypsy is worn out, in the second, the clutch is slipping.

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
actually that's kind of bad, because now I have a problem to diagnose.