First time buyer - seeking opinion on Four Winns

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys-
Still trying to find our first boat.
Going to see a 96' Four Winns Vista 258 w Colvo Penta power.

Wondering your opinions on this setup.
How is the VP for mainteanance and parts availability/pricing?

Anything I should pay special attention to when I check it out?

It will get a survey/sea test/compression test prior to buying if we like what we see.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Four Winns is a good middle of the road brand. I almost bought one myself.

What engine is in the boat? Early years of the joint venture between Volvo and OMS used Ford engines in the small V8s and there will be parts availability issues with the fuel injection. Personally, I would not buy that boat unless it had the 7.4L anyway.

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
Four Winns is a good middle of the road brand. I almost bought one myself.

What engine is in the boat? Early years of the joint venture between Volvo and OMS used Ford engines in the small V8s and there will be parts availability issues with the fuel injection. Personally, I would not buy that boat unless it had the 7.4L anyway.

I'll ask more questions, but it says fuel injected 5.8L Volvo motor.

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
I just spoke w the wife. They are an older couple and didn't know a ton about specifics. Husband did confirm it has the 5.8L, and that all maintenance has been done professionally.
No hour meter on the boat, but they are second owners and said they barely use it, which is why they're selling it.
Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I like Four Winns boats, but the engine is a Ford and they have not used these engines for a long time. As Bruce said parts are hard to find. I had the 5.0 Ford fuel injected engine in a 1997 boat. The engine had really good power, but had so much lifter noise it made you nervous. I would pass on it. I know there nothing more expensive than a cheap boat. As far as the volvo penta drive goes, they are a great drive. Dave-R

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I'll ask more questions, but it says fuel injected 5.8L Volvo motor.
The problems are that the boat is underpowered with that motor and if anything happens to the fuel injection or ignition, you will have to scrap both and put a carb on it and another distributor.

tpenfield

Staff member
20 year old Four Winns . . . In addition to the engine concerns, I'd be concerned about the structure of the boat and check for soft spots, signs of moisture/rot damage. That concern can also be said for a lot of boats in the 15-25 year old range.

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
So all are agreed on engine? Any boat I get will be surveyed first, so structure will be addressed.
I was already steered away from an OMC powered boat by you guys( thanks!) so I'm just trying to get info on this setup too.
So basically the ignition and fuel injection parts/pricing make this a drive system that's not great correct?

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
I completely disagree with the 7.4L choice. While it has plenty of oomph, it is by far the biggest hog at the trough. 6.X, 8.X... anything but that fuel-munchin' 7.4L.

As for the 5.8 being inadequate - not enough power for what? The DP makes up for a lot of sins in the cubic inches department - that boat should kite along just fine in the 45 MPH range with the right props and load. If you are in the mood for 50 MPH, then yes... you need more cubic inches. I have experience with a 5.0L carb on a DP pushing 23 ft of boat - no problem yanking skiers out of the hole... ya just gotta use the trim tabs at first.

For me... I focus on the condition of everything, make sure I have the DP (Merc B3 has too many corrosion issues for my taste), and make sure I have as much deadrise at the transom as I can acquire (20 degrees minimum for me). Boating can be a real pleasure, but a beating will frighten the family away. After that - the rest of the amenities are personal choice.

That boat is beyond a class III hitch and many less-than-truck vehicles. What have you got for towing it?

DetroitFD

Seaman Apprentice
I completely disagree with the 7.4L choice. While it has plenty of oomph, it is by far the biggest hog at the trough. 6.X, 8.X... anything but that fuel-munchin' 7.4L.

As for the 5.8 being inadequate - not enough power for what? The DP makes up for a lot of sins in the cubic inches department - that boat should kite along just fine in the 45 MPH range with the right props and load. If you are in the mood for 50 MPH, then yes... you need more cubic inches. I have experience with a 5.0L carb on a DP pushing 23 ft of boat - no problem yanking skiers out of the hole... ya just gotta use the trim tabs at first.

For me... I focus on the condition of everything, make sure I have the DP (Merc B3 has too many corrosion issues for my taste), and make sure I have as much deadrise at the transom as I can acquire (20 degrees minimum for me). Boating can be a real pleasure, but a beating will frighten the family away. After that - the rest of the amenities are personal choice.

That boat is beyond a class III hitch and many less-than-truck vehicles. What have you got for towing it?

Thanks for the information!

I have a 700hp Ram 3500 diesel that pulls my 10k# camper, so nonissue with a tow vehicle :).

I'm just looking for the most reliable and cost effective way to get into boating.
And between this post and one I put in the Volvo forum, sounds like I should just go w a Checy/Merc combo for ease/pricing of parts.

Slip Away

Lieutenant
The boat will have the ill-fated VDO gauge cluster. It will fail, if it has not been replaced ($500)
The major issues I can recall with 258 Vista is water intrusion in the cabin. Port lites tend to leak, anchor locker tends to leak on some.
Water from the aft bilge that does not get pumped out can move forward under the cabin floor. Any leaks that you may have forward, will
accumulate under the cabin floor/table area because there is no place for it to go.

Read this thread, fairly common problem with 258's and 268 Vista's.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8579&hilit=CABIN+LEAK

This boat would not be my choice for "the most reliable and cost effective way to get into boating. "

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If he is looking for a Four Winns Vista in that model year, he has exactly one choice of a bigger motor...the 7.4L.

I knew a couple who owned that boat with a 5.7L engine in it. They basically had to run over 4000RPM ALL the time.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
be patient looking... I'd recommend you find a merc engine... parts readily available for those... Volvo may run fine until you need a part...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
be patient looking... I'd recommend you find a merc engine... parts readily available for those... Volvo may run fine until you need a part...
Volvo parts are easily available....just not the Ford engines for a couple of the early joint venture years that happen to have fuel injection.

boatman37

Lieutenant
I have a 1986 Sea Ray Sundancer 250 with the Merc 260 (5.7 Chevy) and have no problems with power. Sea Ray being one of the heavier boats I doubt the Four Winns weighs much more (if at all) than mine. I can cruise at about 2600RPM at about 24MPH on plane and top speed is about 33-34MPH. Granted a bigger engine would be a little better power wise but will also consume more fuel. If you will have more than 4 people or so on board consistently then I would look for the bigger engine but with 2 or 3 of us my 5.7 is fine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1986 Sea Ray Sundancer 250 with the Merc 260 (5.7 Chevy) and have no problems with power. Sea Ray being one of the heavier boats I doubt the Four Winns weighs much more (if at all) than mine.

Yours weighs 4690
The Four Winns Vista weighs 5120 so nearly 600 pounds more than yours.

The Vista has an 8'6" beam where yours only has 8' which should help the Vista.

The Vista is a BIG boat hence the reason that the couple I knew had to run their boat at such high RPMs all the time. They were on Lake Mead and had a full load of overnight gear on board at all times. I can't remember if they have a Duo-Prop or not.

Last edited:

boatman37

Lieutenant
Yours weighs 4690
The Four Winns Vista weighs 5120 so nearly 600 pounds more than yours.

The Vista has an 8'6" beam where yours only has 8' which should help the Vista.

The Vista is a BIG boat hence the reason that the couple I knew had to run their boat at such high RPMs all the time. They were on Lake Mead and had a full load of overnight gear on board at all times. I can't remember if they have a Duo-Prop or not.

500lbs is quite a bit. mine is an alpha one single prop but that 500lbs is like myself, wife, and 3 adults so that may be a game changer

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
If he is looking for a Four Winns Vista in that model year, he has exactly one choice of a bigger motor...the 7.4L.

I knew a couple who owned that boat with a 5.7L engine in it. They basically had to run over 4000RPM ALL the time.

Good point. When I was shopping for my boat, the 7.4L was a deal breaker and I'd move on to the next ad.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Good point. When I was shopping for my boat, the 7.4L was a deal breaker and I'd move on to the next ad.
I have the 7.4L in my boat and I was passing on the exact same boat with the 5.7 so the 5.7 was a deal breaker for me.

I see you have a 5.0 in your boat. I would never go with a 5.0 in your sized boat when the 5.7 is the exact same block and same weight. I boat at a high elevation lake and often camp at lower lakes but get loaded with gear. Too much experience with underpowered boats in my past. I have a fuel flow meter and get 3.0 MPG with my 7.4L.

There is a guy that was on here that bought a Bayliner with the 5.0 and a Bravo3. We warned him that the 5.0 was going to be a pig and he now realizes he made a poor decision.