How big a boat for my needs?

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Don't want to turn this into another "what boat should i get" thread - but I am looking for some advice/opinions on what size I might need. I've never owned a boat before (or actually spent much in anything other than small aluminum fishing boats) so my frame of reference is small.

I plan to use the boat for a combination of fishing/tubing. I've got a family of 5 - kids are aged 5, 5, and 7. I would like to be able to take 9 people (my family and another family of 4, for example) if we wanted to go out on the water for the afternoon. Fishing would probably be limited to 6 people. I know the amount of space will change depending on the type of boat, but what would be a good target? If we've got 8 people on the boat pulling a tube, what kind of power will I be looking at needing? If a boat says max capacity is 8 people - what does that really feel like when it's loaded up? Can you even move around?

I'm worried about not getting enough boat (cause I'm also keeping an eye on the price...), and then that will limit how much we use it (which to me would be a waste of money). I'd rather spend a little more to get something that we will feel like we are getting value from (if that's possible!).

Appreciate the opinions or thoughts.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What's the body of water you would be on like? Just from your description, you are going to be limited on choices based on the number of people. Consider a pontoon. It will give room for the ladies to lounge, the men to fish, and the kids to play.

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm in southwestern Ontario - so I'd be on Lake Erie, the surrounding bay's and would be nice to put in a river and cruise every once in a while, too. Not a big fan of the pontoons (totally get their utility), but I'd like to be able to move it around a little easier. Would a pontoon pull a tube? With enough power I guess anything would, but that could start to get cost prohibitive...

I'm thinking something in the 21' range (+/- a foot), but still concerned about space. Maybe to reword the question - what would be a "comfortable" number of people to put on a 19' or a 21'? I might have to adjust my expectations.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
For what you outline I think you want a 22-24 ft bowrider or deck boat, with a 5.7 or 6.2 l engine. Depending on how far out you go fishing maybe bigger. I have a 21 ft bowrider with a 5.0 that does great with 8+/- people, has enough power to pull a tube or a skier with a full load. I had my buddies family on it last summer for a total of 9 (5 kids) and it worked out great, but this is on a lake and my folks have a place and a dock. So if the boat was it as far as lake access and you wanted regularly to take out lots of people I think you'd be happier with more space than a 21 ft er. If once or twice a year you'll have guests 21 ft will be fine. Regardless of size boat you get, get the largest engine offered in that year/model. Never seen anyone here complain about too much power...

klonteig

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks. That's the kind of feedback I was looking for. Yeah, I've read that about the motor as well - going as big as possible. My other big issue is I'm having trouble finding much in the used marked in that size around here. Lots in the 35ft range and lots in the 16 foot. Scared of looking at prices on new...

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Whatever you decide on for size....Add the 2 foot rule to it. We all get 2 foot-itis at some point and you will be glad you did later on. 2 feet don't sound like much, but it really is.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If that's how you plan to use it, then nothing smaller than 21' will do it, and most 21's would be a tight fit for that crowd.

southkogs

Staff member
Take the two families out for an afternoon on a rented bow rider. Get one about 20' (or whatever they have that will accommodate you). See what it feels like.

My Bayliner has capacity for 8, and we regularly put 6 on board. It's cozy, but not too cramped. It can still pull a tube with everyone on board, but it's not that exciting a ride ... the 3.0 is working hard to turn and pull.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Don't want to turn this into another "what boat should i get" thread - but I am looking for some advice/opinions on what size I might need. I've never owned a boat before (or actually spent much in anything other than small aluminum fishing boats) so my frame of reference is small.

I plan to use the boat for a combination of fishing/tubing. I've got a family of 5 - kids are aged 5, 5, and 7. I would like to be able to take 9 people (my family and another family of 4, for example) if we wanted to go out on the water for the afternoon. Fishing would probably be limited to 6 people. I know the amount of space will change depending on the type of boat, but what would be a good target? If we've got 8 people on the boat pulling a tube, what kind of power will I be looking at needing? If a boat says max capacity is 8 people - what does that really feel like when it's loaded up? Can you even move around?

I'm worried about not getting enough boat (cause I'm also keeping an eye on the price...), and then that will limit how much we use it (which to me would be a waste of money). I'd rather spend a little more to get something that we will feel like we are getting value from (if that's possible!).

Appreciate the opinions or thoughts.

you need a pontoon boat

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I agree with using a rental or two to see what works for you and the family. Configuration (sun deck, vs walk though, vs benches) go a long way as well, but I would rule out anything shorter than 22'. Like others said, go 2' longer than what you think you need. I think a deck boat sounds like a great option.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Pontoons may not appear sexy, but they handle a crowd and general water sports better than just about anything else on the water.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I am in southern On as well, on Erie. What you are describing for a crew that size is a BIG boat. I don't know of anywhere around here that rents anything bigger than a tinny. A 24 and up bowrider, deck boat or dual council will meet your needs. Good boats around here are not easy to find. Check what's there on Kijiji. You may need to drive up north a bit. I've seen pontoons with twin 200's, that will pull a building. Happy shopping.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I am in southern On as well, on Erie. What you are describing for a crew that size is a BIG boat. I don't know of anywhere around here that rents anything bigger than a tinny. A 24 and up bowrider, deck boat or dual council will meet your needs. Good boats around here are not easy to find. Check what's there on Kijiji. You may need to drive up north a bit. I've seen pontoons with twin 200's, that will pull a building. Happy shopping.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

This is a what boat should I get thread......dont sweat it

9 people total with water sports? 6 people while fishing if so, your looking at a Pontoon boat with lifting strakes, probably a 3rd log and probably twins on back, or a large single. or if your looking at deck boats, at least a 22-24' deck boat.

pulling a tube can be done with a 40hp outboard since your not pulling faster than 20mph anyway. if someone was skiing, especially slalom skiiing then you would need more power

pick a primary use - fishing or water sports. this will determine the boat. if fishing, and you have to have room for 6 people, gear, multiple poles, etc a 2-log Pontoon or a 24' dual council. if hauling everyone else around and water sports is primary, a 3-log pontoon or a deck boat

Another choice is what is up at a family members cottage - a 2-log pontoon boat and a jet ski. use the jet ski for water sports and the pontoon for fishing

This is where you need to make a decision. are you buying a boat for your family to enjoy, or are you buying a boat for someone elses family to enjoy. if you loose the other family of 4, your down to a dual council boat or a bow-rider in the 19' range with a 4.3 or a 5.0 or even a 200hp outboard

Saving money and boat buying are on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Especially if your buying a boat for other families to enjoy.

Powerstroke in a Prius

Seaman Apprentice
I can't get behind a 'toon on Lake Erie, unless you stay close to refuge. A good blow with a long reach in a 'toon is a very wet ride back to the launch.

Since this is your first boat, I feel obligated to inform you that the experience won't be what you expect. If you are in a party of 9, I would stay close to the dock and do this in stages. Keep the cap in the boat down to 5, and rotate the riders out throughout the day. By doing this, you can keep the boat size down to a manageable level for a first-time boater. You still need to learn to dock it without crashing, how to launch/retrieve without familial world war 3, how to maintain it, and how often you'll really use it. So many first-timers jump in gung-ho, then struggle with the financial hit when they eventually sell their cob-webbed boat.

You never mentioned what your tow rig is. The last time I had a boat that managed 9 people on board while pulling a tuber, I needed a big-block V8 to yank that passenger ferry home - but I live in the mountains. I now own a diesel to manage my current boat, but I learned from experience that even with the bigger boat - the fewer people on board at a time, the richer the experience.

A 21-footer with a 4.3L or V8 will manage a family of 5 with ease, won't need a Superduty to tow/launch, and are typically easier to find within driving distance. I say that in the PNW region of the USA, but I still had to drive a bit to get the boat I liked.

Saying that, if you are dead-set on getting 9 people on board with enough oomph to pull a tuber, the 'toon with a third tube and a big engine (or twins) is viable if you keep an eye on the weather - or break out the Buck$Zooka for a 22-24' open bow with a 5.7L or larger... maybe even Volvo DP/Merc B3. That class III hitch on your vehicle is of no use - time for an upgrade to a class IV. How tough is the transmission on your tow vehicle?

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Pontoons may not appear sexy, but they handle a crowd and general water sports better than just about anything else on the water.

I used to own a pontoon & they are absolutely awful for watersports IMHO. They are also a PITA to trailer which is why most in MN & WI are owned by people who also have a lake place, meaning they stay tied to the dock all summer. Lastly I wouldn't want a 'toon on a big body of water like Erie. They are fine on smaller lakes.

pckeen

Commander
Do you plan on trailering regularly, or are you going to be renting a slip or a dock space? Do you have a shore base when playing on the water or not? Decide on the boat based on your primary use. If your primary use is 9 people, spending the whole day on the boat and fishing, but no overnights, get a pontoon. If your primary use is watersports, with several family members sitting on a dock nearby and relaxing, then an 18-21' bowrider would be great.

Thalasso

Commander
I guess you know that if you decide on a pontoon or open bow you will have to really pick your days for fishing on Erie.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Do you have a shore base when playing on the water or not?

This is key. I had a 19' bow rider and we mostly went to lakes or lagoons where we had a beach within a short distance from the ramp. We could take 8 people out, set up camp on the beach, and take 3 to 5 people out at a time for water sports -- worked perfectly. However, if we were on a lake where we kept everyone on the boat all day, 4 to 5 was max if we didn't want to be cramped.