94 Rinker Captiva 236 potential buyer help

Ajacks10

Recruit
Hello Everyone! I am looking at buying a 94 Rinker Captiva 236. Is there anything that I should be wary of or pay particular attention to when I check this boat out? The owner says he has replaced the Bellows and Gomble bearing last year. Plugs, wires and belts, too. "Been kept inside most of its life". I'm a little hesitant to buy a 23yr old boat. Any input would be appreciated. Here is the link to the ad for the boat.

alldodge

Staff member
The 236 was Rinker's first try to get into the low end go fast boat. The 232 is the same boat with a taller profile, and both are 23 ft 6 inch long. My 1994 232 has been a good boat only needing regular maintenance.

Check the transom down low on the inside to see if its soft. If it has been kept on a trailer and indoors then there will be no issue. Should have at least a 350 but would be best with a 454 or 502. Always good to do a compression test, and take it for a ride.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
If it checks out as sea worthy, the price seems more than reasonable? That doesn't mean there's not room to negotiate...bring cash, it carries a lot of negotiating power!

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
The fact that it has been stored inside all its life on a trailer is huge. If it's always been in fresh water I wouldn't be worried about it one bit after I verified with a water test and a few checks that the engine and drive are solid. If it has a SB 350 pretty much impossible to kill one of those unless you flat out abuse it. Repair parts are plentiful and cheap.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Is that an Alpha 1 or a Bravo 1? If it is a 350 of that gen, I presume Alpha given their low hp vs the modern 350's but if it is a Bravo, I presume it has a big block in it. AKA more than 300hp needs a Bravo. Not enough picture for me to say too much except that because of those upholstery colors, I 'wouldn't be a buyer'.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
There is always a risk buying a nearly 25 year old anything. Being in NY I would think it "might" not have seen any saltwater or on the water 12 months a year. It also could have been a Florida boat. Being inside "almost" it's entire life may also mean it sat in a slip "almost" it's entire life. 4 photos don't tell a story. Read the sticky at the top of this page and get it inspected by a marine mechanic at your cost. If the owner isn't willing to let the boat be visited by a mechanic and a splash walk away, fast. And remember it's a 94'. That vinyl colour looks very 90's, actually 80's, where's Sonny Crocket?

Ajacks10

Recruit
Hey Everyone! Thanks for the responses! I went and looked at the boat over the weekend. It is in pretty good shape! I wasn't disappointed at all! It looks to have been stored inside, as the seller said it was. I put a deposit down pending a successful test drive. We took it out on the Hudson River last night. It runs great! I bought the boat for 7k. Again, thanks for the input!

alldodge

Staff member
Congrats on the new ride, happy boating and don't be a stranger. :)

jkust

Rear Admiral
Congrats on the purchase. It's nice when these deals work out and the boat is as nice as you hoped.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Congrats! Pictures can hide a lot, but it looked pretty nice in the add. On an older boat you can usually tell fairly easily if it's been kept inside most its life. The sun ages everything quickly.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Good going. Nice boat. Now you will need to buy a white suit ala Sonny Crocket and presto you are cruising Miami Beach. Send more pics, love looking at older boats in great shape.