My Launch Is Delayed

RGrew176

Commander
Wednesday I drove to the marina where my boat is winter stored. I removed all the shrinkwrap and prepped the boat for my 2017 launch. I stopped at the marina office to make an appointment to launch yesterday, Thursday at 11 AM. I then went out for lunch.

I arrived back at the boat. I then decided it would be a good idea to turn the engines over. I turned the key for the starboard engine and it cranked over as it should have. I then turned the key for the port engine and nothing, nada, zip, zilch. Nothing happened.

I took a quick check below in the engine compartment but I could not see anything out of the ordinary. Now, it was my port transmission that had been rebuilt and they had to pull the engine so they could remove the transmission to effect the rebuild.

I am thinking that when they reinstalled the engine and transmission something was not reconnected. I am hoping that it is something that simple. I can't think of anything else it could be. Both engines turned over in December and January when I went to check on them so it is only after the engine removal that it will not start.

A friend of mine suggested that I wiggle the shifter at the helm with the key turned on to the start position to make sure the neutral switch is working. I did that turning the key into the start position while moving the shift lever all the way forward and aft. Nothing happened.

Both batteries are fine so it's not the batteries. So, everyone please keep your fingers crossed that they will find and solve the problem. I am looking forward to hitting the water and getting my dock set up at my new marina.

Obviously any ideas or suggestions from members here are greatly appreciated. I will head back to the boat on Saturday.

Hoping to launch soon.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
jump the starter to see if it moves, if so, its a simple electrical issue (bad connection, etc)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I am thinking that when they reinstalled the engine and transmission something was not reconnected. I am hoping that it is something that simple. I can't think of anything else it could be. Both engines turned over in December and January when I went to check on them so it is only after the engine removal that it will not start.

A friend of mine suggested that I wiggle the shifter at the helm with the key turned on to the start position to make sure the neutral switch is working. I did that turning the key into the start position while moving the shift lever all the way forward and aft. Nothing happened.

I'm sure it'll turn out to be something that simple. When a new problem suddenly crops up, you always look at the last thing you touched. Good luck!

RGrew176

Commander
I got a call Tuesday that my boats engine nonstarting issue had been corrected. Wednesday I drove down to the boat. I turned the key and the port engine cranked over. Happy day. I did not get a chance to talk to the mechanic but one of the other employees said that he said it was the neutral switch on the transmission. He had to tweak the settings on that switch and the problem was solved.

I am glad that it was a simple problem and not a new issue. My feelings that it was related to the transmission rebuild look to be the correct assumption on my part. I will be headed to the marina today (Thursday) to make an appointment to launch. I am going to try for a Saturday afternoon launch. Hope they can get me in the water at that time.