Another "What Boat should I buy" thread

amhorach

Cadet
TL;DR I'm looking for a boat. I know the answer is generally "Buy the best one you can find at your price point" but I'm hoping for a bit more specific advice before I drive all over the state. I have a list of candidates below, and if anybody is feeling helpful and knows about the boats, please let me know. I do appreciate it.

The top two candidates are:

1993 18ft dual console McKee Craft, 199 Yamaha 175 $4600: https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/6051185136.html

2000 17ft Sea Hunt with a Johnson outboard, $4800: https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/6020316863.html

Long version:

I sold my 14' Starcraft Seafarer side console over the winter. It was a decent boat for lake and inter-coastal fishing, but I'm looking to get into a slightly more serious boat now.

Here are the requirements:

1. I am limited to 5000 pounds towing. The tow vehicle isn't likely to change.
2. Fishing done on lakes and in the Intercoastal, but maybe around the mouths of inlets on calm days. This will be on the NC coast area.
3. ability to carry up to 4 people and gear, but small enough to handle solo.
4. Shallow draft a plus
5. I would never take it far offshore, I'll pay somebody who knows what they are doing for that.
6. Budget is limited. I can spin wrenches, do wiring and probably do some fiberglass work, though. I'd like to get a good hull and motor; I can add gadgets and electronics.
7. I prefer some kind of V hull over a flat skiff.
8. No wood in the stringers would be great, but that drives up the cost so it's very optional.

I was looking at a 17-19 foot center console fiberglass boat.

I checked out the one below. It seems like a decent boat- the floors are solid, the motor runs and the trailer is in good shape. I worry that it's a bit too small, though- it isn't much bigger in terms of space than the 14' boat I had, and I got rid of that because it was cramped.

1987 Bonito Center Console, motor same year, $3200 asking: https://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/6076196261.html

In the same range, there is this, which might need more work:

Glassstream Arrowglass, motor looks same vintage: asking $3000 https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/6049807112.html

Going up a bit, we have things like this:

1993 18ft dual console McKee Craft, motor looks to be a newer Yamaha $4600: https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/6051185136.html

2000 17ft Sea Hunt with a Johnson outboard, $4800: https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/6020316863.html

1991 18ft. center console Wellcraft, Suzuki Motor, $5800: https://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/6026761336.html

1984 20ft. Sportcraft Center Console, Johnson motor $5500: https://fayetteville.craigslist.org/boa/6029810976.html

Then we boost the price and see models like the two below. They are more money at first, but odds are good they might save me money in the long run, having newer construction and motors.

2005 18' Sea Boss, Johnson motor, likely same year, $6200: https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/6072089445.html

2000 190 Key Largo, Johnson motor likely same year, $6500: https://raleigh.craigslist.org/boa/6055688903.html

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would skip any boat older than 2000 as it most likely has hull problems along with other issues
I would skip any boat myself that is under $5k and be leery of any boat under $10k (most project boats are in the $5k-$10k range where most of the full-gut refurbs are in the under $5k range)

your not going to find wood-free boats in your price range

any that are stored outside would come off the list

which ever meets your criteria for use, has been meticulously maintained and garage kept. condition....condition...condition

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
My buddy has a similar year Sea Boss to the one you posted. It is a GREAT boat. Very well made.

southkogs

Staff member
I think I'd be looking for something more in the 20' range based on where you're going to be boating. That takes your tow capacity up, I'm sure ... but if the water gets a little rough, I'd want a bit more "meat" under me.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Good advice looking at boats 2000 and up. Boston Whalers, Scouts and Grady Whites are the exception as I know for a fact they do not use wood in the construction process. Cheap boats usually have issues seen and unseen,not all sellers are truthful sad to say,buyer beware. Take your time...Your boat is out there!

Slip Away

Lieutenant
"I would skip any boat older than 2000 as it most likely has hull problems along with other issues"

please share your crystal ball with the rest of us, I'm sure everyone would like to have that knowledge without
even looking at the boats.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
"I would skip any boat older than 2000 as it most likely has hull problems along with other issues"

please share your crystal ball with the rest of us, I'm sure everyone would like to have that knowledge without
even looking at the boats.

No crystal ball, just a good understanding of manufacturing, marketing, profit and product design life

boats have a design life of 15 years (10 for utility boats, 15 for most run-abouts, ski boats and wake boats, 20 for express cruisers). since this is 2017, most boats prior to 2000 are beyond their design life, so they will either need a motor refresh, hull refresh or interior refresh.

most boats are not made very well being slapped together as fast as possible to get out the door as fast as possible to make the most profit. The motors are made to make it thru the warranty period with near zero issues, with a design life of about 10 years of normal use prior to overhaul. (yes, I know many of the engineers at multiple boat manufactures as well as most of the engineers at Volvo-Penta, Mercruiser, PCM, Ilmor, Inmar, Cat, Cummins, John Deere, etc- comes from being in various industries which service the marine world

maybe you should read the thread posts in the restoration forum

can you find that garage-kept, wiped with a cloth diaper after every use, waxed every season, cleaned every use, meticulously maintained boat that is older than its design life - yes. however statistics are against it. most boats are rode hard, put away wet and maintenance is considered when something breaks

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
No crystal ball, just a good understanding of manufacturing, marketing, profit and product design life

boats have a design life of 15 years (10 for utility boats, 15 for most run-abouts, ski boats and wake boats, 20 for express cruisers). since this is 2017, most boats prior to 2000 are beyond their design life, so they will either need a motor refresh, hull refresh or interior refresh.

most boats are not made very well being slapped together as fast as possible to get out the door as fast as possible to make the most profit. The motors are made to make it thru the warranty period with near zero issues, with a design life of about 10 years of normal use prior to overhaul. (yes, I know many of the engineers at multiple boat manufactures as well as most of the engineers at Volvo-Penta, Mercruiser, PCM, Ilmor, Inmar, Cat, Cummins, John Deere, etc- comes from being in various industries which service the marine world

maybe you should read the thread posts in the restoration forum

can you find that garage-kept, wiped with a cloth diaper after every use, waxed every season, cleaned every use, meticulously maintained boat that is older than its design life - yes. however statistics are against it. most boats are rode hard, put away wet and maintenance is considered when something breaks
You must have a much different market than me because I have looked at boats in the 5-10k range and while a good % are crap still quite a few are still good enough for some fun for at least another 20 years if well taken care of from when you buy it. Are the super nice looking always? No but you can't expect to get a 40k boat for 7k either. Adjust your expectations to the price.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I think in the particular situation and budget he should try and get the newest boat in the price range, all things being equal. Of course all things are never equal so it comes down to condition and maintenance. Still, I would start with the newest boat in the price range and go backwards. The first boat he lists is a 1987. In the comments it says something like "previous owner replaced the deck". Huge red flag. If the deck was bad the stringers probably are as well. And $3000+ for a 1987?

amhorach

Cadet
Stretching the budget to a boat with an 8k asking price at a dealer, there is a 2003 Pro-Line 19 with a 115 Mercury. It seems to be all the boat (and more) that I'd ever need, and I understand that these were no-wood construction.

(edit: it seems people are not fans of the ProLine 19 at all due to the Euro transom and rough, wet ride)

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I also concur that anything under a 2000 model year will most likely have unseen issues. The best boat I see just by looking at a few pics is the 2004 Sea Boss. It's also he smallest of the line up and is still going on 14 years old. I'm not familiar with boating in your area. We do fish big waters of the Great Lakes though and size matters. It is so tempting to stretch the limitations of the vessel to get to the fish. That's when accidents happen that fall into the "preventable" accident category. You have a Champagne taste on a beer budget. I just talked to a guy that "stole" a nice 15 year old Lund for 1/2 the price it should have sold for this past January. He is looking at a bare bone tear out that is going to cost him thousands and the outboard still won't start. He may have just written off 6 grand to experience, a hard lesson.