Deck water problem

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New some help/suggestions. My 16' flatboat has a drain on the deck in the rear of of boat in the middle for any water to drain out. My issue is the drain hole sits under water level and still of idling. When up on plane any water in the deck drain out but as soon as I slow down/stop water starts coming into the deck again. Its very strange because the drain hole is like an 1 1/2 big. I have used a kayak scupper plug and it work to keep the deck dry but I have to hand pump any water that gets in from a wave or from when throwing a cast net for bait. Any suggestion what I can use? I also installed a scupper max flow but the ball just does not keep hole covered and eventaully water starts to come into the deck. I could use some help please? thanks

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Do you have a place to put a bilge pump? At least it would be easier than using a hand pump. How about a pic of the boat?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
is the boat sitting lower than designed? water soaked foam?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
is the boat sitting lower than designed? water soaked foam?

You guys are teaching me well, my exact thought, why is the self bailing hole so low to the water line at rest. Even if it is at or below the water line isn't that scupper plug/ball supposed to seal the drain hole so water doesn't come in Scott?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Have you repowered with an outboard that is heavier than the original?

Where are your batteries? Fuel tank?

Do you have a trolling motor (or other weighty things) at or on the transom?

Could be that rebalancing can help reduce water coming in thru the scuppers and over the transom.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is a pic. Its the only one I have on me. I forgot to take pics last night to post. Will do so tonight and post. The fuel tank and engine battery are in the rear. troll motor and battery in front. All is original with motor. The scupper is not the ones at the transom where the engine mounts, its the scupper for the main deck. There is a drain in rear middle of boat and it leads to like 1 1/2 hole in rear bottom of boats.. Its just above the hull drain plug. Its very strange that is where it is.. I'd would not want to have a bilge laying on the deck :) I am lost as why they desiged it this way..

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1438827986119.jpg
    FB_IMG_1438827986119.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 0

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
That is a lot of motor on a shallow transom.

I have these same issues on my 17' "bay boat" CC, but your example looks maybe even more extreme. I also tried the scupper plugs, thinking that would keep water from backing through the transom scuppers; it did that, but then I discovered that MOST of the water on my deck was coming over the notch in my transom after a vigorous stop, and plugged scuppers just means that water doesn't leave! I also think my scuppers are too close to waterline for ball-type to help me.

So I'd really like to see where this goes, see if I can also find some things to try from this thread.

I would like to see some more photos of the "main deck scupper" and the "drain in rear middle" and the "1-1/2" hole in rear bottom" that you mention. Sounds like maybe a system for dealing with transom overwash? Does all of that seem OEM, or added later by someone?

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I keep trying to upload pics but it just won't let me. It states it's corrupt. I tried with camera and phone camera - don't know why

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok I got it to upload by using a 2.1MP camera:( Here is the scupper I installed. as you can see it sits way below the water line.. Any suggestions anyone? please?

Attachments

• IM000909.JPG
    IM000909.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 0

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Just want to be clear on what's up here...

In the first pic I've added here (modded from yours), I think I see the ball-type scupper you've added (green arrow), correct? And you say that it is fed from a drain hole (flat, I guess?) on the deck. Is there a hose or somesuch between the deck drain and this scupper?

You say that this ball-type scupper is below the waterline, right? (I think the ball type specifically says "not for below waterline"). Perhaps more important, is your DECK (at the drain hole, anyway) below waterline? (Whether at rest or when people move to the stern)

Did you add this deck drain (and/or the exit hole the scupper itself covers), or was it there already? If there already, does it look factory, or did someone else do it?

I see a livewell intake with screen over it and your garboard drain...what is the other thing? (orange arrow)

In the second pic (also modded from yours), what is this thing on the transom (red arrow)? Is it a scupper? Is there another on the starboard side of the transom? Do these go below waterline with weight / people shifted to the rear? If they are scuppers, how "tight to the deck" are they? Also if they are scuppers (or even if they're not!) does any water come in through these? Do they have one-way flaps inside? Did you install these, or are they OEM?

Also I think someone asked (but you haven't answered), is there a place to put a bilge pump? Is there an actual bilge space under your deck? Or is the deck basically "the bottom of the hull?"

It looks to me like your transom does have something of a splashwell to it...do you get significant water over your transom and onto the deck?

I'm asking all these questions because I'm beginning to suspect that what happened is that your boat (like mine) suffers from a little water intrusion through the scuppers (and maybe over the transom--in my case the notch for the outboard is the worst culprit by far!), and someone (maybe you, maybe a previous owner-maybe even a dealer or the factory!) tried to fix that with a deck drain...except that this cure turned out to be worse than the disease, because the deck is so low that the water just pushes it's way back in the drain!

I'm learning that this "wet deck" issue is pretty common in 17-18' "bay boats" just because the decks are so low / close to the waterline.

Newer such boats (say, mid-2000's and up) appear to be addressing this with "Euro-style" transoms and/or actual splashwells. And by shifting weight (batteries, seats, consoles) forward a bit on deck, to counteract the way modern outboards have ballooned in weight versus the old days.

Cures for existing boats with this issue seem to range from "very effective but high-dollar"--like going to an outboard bracket and filling in the transom notch / raising the transom; to "medium dollar but marginally effective"--like trying to retrofit some kind of home-engineered splashwell; to "low-dollar, but learn to live with damp feet"--like having deck drain(s) that feed the under-deck bilge area and the water gets pumped out through (automatic) bilge pump(s). BTW, this is why I ask if you have under-deck bilge area, to see if deck drain to bilge is even an option for you...I'm thinking about trying this in addition to my scuppers, and/or add more scuppers--at least my deck should clear of on-taken water faster than it does now through only the two small scupper holes!

What I'm really hoping is that we can come up with something "medium-low dollar but effective," doesn't rely on crappy Chinese toy bilge pumps, and is perhaps innovative to boot!

Attachments

• WhatIsThis.jpg
    WhatIsThis.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IsThisaScupper.jpg
    IsThisaScupper.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello

Thanks for the reply. The boat seems to be all original. I am the 3rd owner. The green arrow is the scupper I installed. The orange arrow I have no idea. I will have to trace that one down. Also, looking underneath boat, there is a hole under the boat also. Also wanted to metion which seems odd is that the scupper got brokrn off Friday and it seems to be when I trim engine all the way down but it did not break last weekend so very strange scupper seems as it sticks out to far. The red arrow are flat flapper scuppers which go in a splash area in front of engine. I don't get water in unless standing in rear of boat in corner and a big wave comes. They are above waterline with weight. I did get less water in the deck with 2 people instead of 3 people. The deck drain works great when washing down boat to drain the water out. The green kayaks plugs work but issue is I have to reach down there to remove to drain water out and then reinstall. Also if it falls out its gone which happened twice and I had tied it off with 30lb fish line.. hope I got u all the answers

82rude

Rear Admiral
Very hard to tell from picture but is that motor maybe too large for the boat?

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its all original as far as I can tell. Does not look like any mods were done to the boat or engine. The scupper hole is just very low on the boat and I have no idea what else to try. I was looking to put in an inline scupper which I think will work until a piece og weed or fishing goes down the drain and sticks on the flap on the scupper. What does everybody think. The real only other solution is the kayak scupper plug but how do I avoid constantly loosing them is the issue..

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
My immediate thought is, have you checked the integrity of the deck and transom around the drain and thru-hull? Still not clear to me if those are factory or add-on...and in either case, how well they were installed/sealed.

As for ideas, I did some experimenting last weekend putting ballast (extra battery, 5gal gas can, wife, daughter, dog) forward, and that helped both my holeshot and my wet deck issues immensely.

Last edited: