I Need your Feedback please

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I visited yesterday a Very Clean 1987 Chris Craft Commander 332 with 2 Mercruiser 260 with shaft. The engines are located in the center of the boat
and has 1500 hrs each. The owner told me the engines only had Synthetic Oil and a full tune up was done before winter last season.
I have some interest on the boat because of the wide cabin (only 1 room). The boat most weight 11,000 lbs.
I can buy the boat at a very low price. Around $10,000 Canadian ( $7000 USD )
With 2 Merc 260 does this boat be under power?
1500 hrs, Am I close to a overall job on the engines?
What can I expect in terms of Fuel consommatioin?
Please help me with my decision if I should make an offer..
Thankyou

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with two 260hp small blocks, it wont be a rocket ship, however it will move along
at 1500 hours, if the motors were maintained, you would get another 1500 hours (thats another 30 years)
its a boat, they drink fuel like a sailor on shore leave drinks beer. if you want a boat with good fuel consumption, dont look at big boats, look at something small with a sail.

before you buy this boat, get a sea trial and a survey. the sea trial will tell you about the performance and fuel economy. the survey will tell you about the boat and the motors

HPLou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you for your reply Scott
An other 1500hr before an overhull of the engines?
Are you serious when you write that I can do 3000 hrs before an overall concidering that the engines are in good conditions?
I understand about fuel economy. I already have a twin 4.3lx 30 foot boat and want to go bigger for more room and confort.
The owner told me he was cruising at 21-22 knots, 3000 rpm and because the engines are located in the center of the boat, it was easy
to go on plane. For sure I will have a survey done but won't be able to have a sea trial because of the cost involve to tow the boat to the
closest boat slip. If I buy the boat, I will store it at my brothers farm until I sell my 30 foot boat. And there is no place at the marina presently.

Bondo

Staff member
An other 1500hr before an overhull of the engines?
Are you serious when you write that I can do 3000 hrs before an overall concidering that the engines are in good conditions?

Ayuh,..... 3,000 hours is not unheard of, My 4.3l is at 'bout 2,000 hours, 'n the compression test says it's still in A-1 condition,....