Recommend me an anchor?

Six Stringer

Recruit
Looking for some suggestions on purchasing an anchor...

Boat is a 12ft aluminum v-hull... Max weight of 680lbs. Typically has one or two adults on board, trolling motor, fishing gear.

I'm looking for an anchor that will help me sit still in waters near the shore of a lake for catfishing, or maybe a little ways out...

What style of anchor and what weight should I be looking at?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with or without wind?

no wind, a mushroom anchor is plenty

a lot of wind, 10:1 scope on the rode, and a 11# danforth anchor

Six Stringer

Recruit
with or without wind?

no wind, a mushroom anchor is plenty

a lot of wind, 10:1 scope on the rode, and a 11# danforth anchor
Your response has effectively sent me on a research hunt for information about the terminology you used--"10:1 scope on the rode"... I've learned a lot in a short time reading a very informative article. Thanks!

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
+1,, what Scott said.... mushroom's good,,a heavier boat, in deeper water, need one to dig in.....

robert graham

Admiral
I use two 10lb. Mushroom anchors for my aluminum canoe....one for the bow and beaching and the other in the back for fishing....two anchors can be very handy in a variety of situations...

airshot

Rear Admiral
What type of bottom will the anchor be grabbing, rock/stone or mud bottom or sand? Different anchors for different bottoms

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
WOW... I use an 11lb Claw anchor on a 21' center console in the ocean and never have a problem!
Like Airshot said...The type of bottom will dictate the type of anchor that needs to be used. My guess would be 2-4lb Danforth?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
An 8# mushroom should do fine in most situations.

Something a little heavier that will dig in a little if it is windy.

Also, a boat that size will be limited to calmer waters in general, and doesn't catch much wind, so 7:1 or 10:1 scope will likely never apply.

We have anchored many small boats with 2:1 or 3:1 scope over the last 50 years.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Looking for some suggestions on purchasing an anchor...

Boat is a 12ft aluminum v-hull... Max weight of 680lbs. Typically has one or two adults on board, trolling motor, fishing gear.

I'm looking for an anchor that will help me sit still in waters near the shore of a lake for catfishing, or maybe a little ways out...

What style of anchor and what weight should I be looking at?

With a boat that small, you don't want to be carrying a lot of heavy anchors. Assuming a mud bottom, I'd go with a 10 pound mushroom on the bow and a 5 pound mushroom on the stern. You can get them PVC coated so they don't bang and mar your aluminum hull, too.