Looking for help in rebuilding a transom on a aluminum 1962 12' Sea King

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

Well, we can help, but need to know what needs rebuilding.
Wood replacement?
Aluminum repair or replace, or welding?
Knee braces broken?

Most often you cut off the old wood, check aluminum for soundness, bolt on new wood.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks for the replies. I'm looking to just replace the wood. Everything else seems very solid for a 55 year old boat. I took some pics but struggling with uploading them....

Uglylure

Cadet
I'm new here to Freak, but after reading a "few" threads, then posting pictures and asking for help, you will get "all the BEST Help" in here ever, jut my 2 cents..welcome aboard !

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I'm new to the group and to be honest I'm to lazy to sort through all the posts......

If you are lazy maybe you need not pursue your question....... It's more of a mindset in getting started than it is a problem to do. Look at what you take out, consider the environment, consider your available replacement parts, add a little creativity and wala. Job finished....BTDT on an 18' Starcraft Holiday I/O.

pckeen

Commander
That's a simple transom repair. You just need to cut new exterior plywood that is the same thickness as the transom cap. You may need to laminate two thinner pieces of plywood. Don't use treated plywood (it causes the aluminum to corrode). Then bolt it in place with stainless steel bolts. Take a look at the Lonestar thread in my signature.

I appreciate that PCKEEN! What's the best practice for lamination? The cap looks to be about 1-1/2 thick. So i was thinking two pieces of 3/4" exterior plywood?

Last edited:
I checked out your post PCKEEN. Looks pretty straight forward. Did you use standard construction adhesive like liquid nail for the lamination?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Use TiteBond3 to laminate 2pcs of 3/4in ACX plywood.

Dries waterproof, while still wet, its water cleanup, and dries quick.

pckeen

Commander
I appreciate that PCKEEN! What's the best practice for lamination? The cap looks to be about 1-1/2 thick. So i was thinking two pieces of 3/4" exterior plywood?

Measure the inside of the transom cap while it is still in place, as if it is smaller, you'll have problems using the 3/4 inch ply. I cut both pieces to a little oversized, then used a waterproof glue like Titebond to glue the two pieces together. If you have an abundance of clamps, you then clamp the pieces together in multiple places. If you don't you can use stainless steel screws (pre-drill), to tightly hold the two pieces together.

As for plywood - any exterior plywood will do, as long as it isn't treated. You can simply put it in as is, unfinished, but it is a better idea to coat the wood with something to add longevity - spar varnish, epoxy or paint are common choices.

pckeen

Commander
I checked out your post PCKEEN. Looks pretty straight forward. Did you use standard construction adhesive like liquid nail for the lamination?

Ditto on JB Curt's comment on titebond. Construction adhesive may work, but my experience with it is it goes on very thick, and while it will bond well, it may create a small gap in the plywood, that will increase the thickness of your laminate.

Thanks everyone. Looking to get started this weekend. I will post pics during. I appreciate the responses....