A beginners beginning!!! 79 blue fin repair. it has begun

pie fisher

Cadet
so i started the project thinking it was only going to be a floor replacement and tightening up a few leaky rivets. i got the floor ripped out in no time and preformed a water test by filling boat with water. in my best count about 85% of the rivets need replaced and i have a cracked chine. after a few questions on here in other posts i decided to take this to a shop. a local fabrication shop will weld support and the chine for $150. but will not spend the time or man power to replace the rivets for me. so i guess me and my family will enjoy the next couple of weeks putting rivets in. could take longer doe to the fact that my helpers are 4yr, 2yr, and 7months preggo. i have attached photos for you to see. if there is any advice i would love to hear it. ill continue to post pics. my wife wants me to dump this and just buy a new boat. should i listen or enjoy the rebuild?

Attachments

• photo261237.jpg
    photo261237.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261486.jpg
    photo261486.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261487.jpg
    photo261487.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261488.jpg
    photo261488.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261489.jpg
    photo261489.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261489.jpg
    photo261489.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261490.jpg
    photo261490.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo261491.jpg
    photo261491.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 1

Ned L

Commander
Is there something special about that boat to you? Once you know that the answer will likely be easy. If it is not a financial burden a different boat that will be ready to use this summer will be far more enjoyable for the whole family (this summer at least).
Boats similar to this are easily found all over.

Tnstratofam

Commander
You need to check out Watermann's Chief thread in the Starcraft forum. He had to replace and rebuck several rivets as well as reinforce the chine area I believe.

For that matter you should read through some of the other restos there. You will find lots of good info on restoring a tin boat and may be able to determine if yours is worth the time and effort of a resto.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
It's pretty unusual for that many rivets to be bad. That along with the crack makes me think it may be worth looking for a different hull if you don't have too much into this one.

pie fisher

Cadet
i traded sheetrock work for the boat 3yrs ago. this boat was just one that floated and a guy that was willing to deal. the place i had to fix the chine no longer has time till middle of july. so iv called several other places to see if they have time or want to repair chine. if i do start to look at other options is there a any i should stay away from? to my understanding it is common for blue fin boats to crack on chine.... are there others with known problems? i will also do more research on them.

i thought this rebuild was going to be fun but it is really starting to make me question everything. i like to save money i dont need the nicest or the best just something that will work. that said i have about 3000 pluss what i can part my boat out for. so will 4000 alow me to be in that much better of a boat?

i believe the beginers beginning is about to end.

Alumarine

Captain
You should make sure the transom doesn't need replacing as well.
Often if the floor is bad so is the other wood.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
if i do start to look at other options is there a any i should stay away from? to my understanding it is common for blue fin boats to crack on chine.... are there others with known problems? i will also do more research on them.

Honestly the only tinnies that I've heard of being considered junk where the later Spectrum Blue Fins. I thought the older Blue Fins like yours were fine. Tracker has mixed reviews. Starcraft, Sylvan, Lowe, Sea Nymph, Crestliner, Lund, Mirrocraft, Alumacraft are all solid.

pie fisher

Cadet
talked to a boat repair guy today and as soon as i told him my problem and what the boat was he told me to get newer boat. he claimed that the 88 and older slylvan smokercraft and blue fin all had major chine problems. due to how the hull was constructed and the lack of support where starcraft lund and other brands put theirs. this guy seemed to know what he was talking about. but my dad always said if you say anything with enough confidence everyone will believe you. and im new to boating.

i have decided after talking with him that i will call it quits on this hull.

new question: sould i find a hull to put my motor on or sell it as well
the motor sat for 7yrs. i cleaned carbs started right up. starts first time everytime for last 3 yrs. is there a better place to be looking for boats or boat hulls than craigs list and on here?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
talked to a boat repair guy today and as soon as i told him my problem and what the boat was he told me to get newer boat. he claimed that the 88 and older slylvan smokercraft and blue fin all had major chine problems. due to how the hull was constructed and the lack of support where starcraft lund and other brands put theirs. this guy seemed to know what he was talking about. but my dad always said if you say anything with enough confidence everyone will believe you. and im new to boating.

i have decided after talking with him that i will call it quits on this hull.

new question: sould i find a hull to put my motor on or sell it as well
the motor sat for 7yrs. i cleaned carbs started right up. starts first time everytime for last 3 yrs. is there a better place to be looking for boats or boat hulls than craigs list and on here?

Well, here is some info for you.

Sylvan, Smokercraft, and Starcraft, are the same company, and shared the same hulls.

Blue Fin is separate.

Blue Fin bought some (possibly all ?) of their hulls from other companies.

Some were actually bought from Starcraft.

The one on your photos is not a Starcraft hull from what I can see.

I have had 5 1966-1981 Starcrafts, with zero chine issues.
The larger, 21-25'ers had some issues, especially if they were used in big water.

Go to this thread to find some Starcraft boat listings.
Remember, no buying or selling on the forums, just links to listings.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...t-ebay/page570

Go here to learn about how to repair, modify, or restore one.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...tarcraft-boats

So tell us where you are located. Someone near you may know of a boat listing you could check out.

And lastly, if you have a good motor, why would you sell it?
If you happen to find and buy a boat with a motor, then keep the best motor and sell the other one.
What motor do you have?

pie fisher

Cadet
i have a 79-80 evinrude 85hp boats i have been looking at have 115 to150 on them and having trouble finding boats without motor. i am on the misouri river in north central SD almost on the border of North Dakota

so the guy must not have know as much as i thought because he told me to find a starcraft or lund they were the best.
but if a smokercraft and sylvan are the same as starcraft they should be fine.

thanks every bit of knowledge i can get i will take!