Does the Wicked Tuna Fleet Not Use Blowers?

SDSeville

Lieutenant
I was watching Wicked Tuna last night (recorded) and noticed that every time they get a bite (middle of the day or middle of the night) , they quickly run and start the engine(s) with no hesitation at all. They are either not using their blowers or they simply leave them on 24 hours a day. It looks like they are all inboards. Am I missing something?

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Not sure how diesel boat owners use their blowers. There's much less risk of explosion/fire with diesel fuel. Could also be that the boat design is such that the engine rooms are 'passively' ventilated. Short answer - I have no idea :joyous:

alldodge

Staff member
I don't watch the show, but would guess they have diesel, so there is no chance of fumes which will ignite

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If they do use blowers, the 4-5 minutes of wait time is on the cutting room floor.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Yeah, I guess they would be diesel engines. I didn't realize there was less danger with diesel, but it makes sense. I was thinking they were all crazy.

Ned L

Commander
Diesel fuel,....... you can literally toss lit matches in a tray of diesel fuel all day long. The matches just go out (as long as the diesel fuel is at room temperature and not heated).
Don't try that with gasoline!!

(I actually had someone over at my house when I was cleaning some parts in diesel fuel,...they were all worried about fire and explosions. I put a small tray if diesel fuel on the garage floor and proceeded to toss lit matches in,.... they all simply went out.)

Last edited:
I really wish they would show more of the fishing technique and gear/tackle setups rather than just "fish on....I need to be be in 1st place".

mr 88

Commander
I have twin gas engines and have a fume detector [ Scentry model 415 gas fume detector ] . This model immediately detects fumes in the engine compartment with two sensors located there and if it "smells" anything will not allow you to start the engines. Has a auto cutoff and makes the same beeping sound you hear on Wicked Tuna moments before the engine fires up. Only takes a few seconds to let you start the engines or not. I would bet they have the diesel version or the same unit as I use. I also have blowers and in most cases use them before hitting the key. They don't show the gear set up etc because they would be giving away there own trade secrets and every Tom **** and Harry would be out there trying to cut into there income.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I would bet they have the diesel version or the same unit as I use.

There are diesel fume detectors, but highly unlikely they have them. There simply isn't the risk of explosion with diesel. It takes more than spark or fire to ignite it at normal temperatures.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
They don't show the gear set up etc because they would be giving away there own trade secrets and every Tom **** and Harry would be out there trying to cut into there income.
Tuna chunking isn't rocket science....

Most Tom, **** and Harry's can't afford the hardware to handle "Giants" let a lone the boat. Those that can, already know how to catch them. ;)

Check out the price of a #130 class Tiagra, Accurate or Everol reel one time...

Boydski

Seaman Apprentice
Blowers for most of the DownEast style tuna boats (diesel engines) are actually used for cooling the engine rooms down, not for the fume/explosion prevention that is needed in gasoline powered boats. They are turned on if things overheat, not prior to starting a diesel engine. As mentioned above, it takes a lot of compression and heat to make diesel burn.