Floor Covering Ideas

I recently obtained a 1986 Bluefin Sportsman 1900 with the 2.3 OMC i/o. The original motor had a blown head gasket so I did some searching and was able to purchase a running 2.3 from a guy off of Craigslist. The question I have is, since this boat will primarily be on Lake Michigan catching salmon (hopefully). I would like to put a new floor in it but want to try and stay away from carpet. Was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of a marine-use non-slip coating that is waterproof that you can put down on top of plywood. I found some products but for the most part state that it has to be laid down on top of a metal surface. Would some epoxy resin with some sand or some type of aggregate do the job?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Does the boat have raw plywood under the carpet right now? Normally it's glassed over form the factory.

Boat has raw plywood under the carpet. Floor is starting to get soft so I was just planning on replacing the plywood as well.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Make sure this isn't just a layer of plywood laid over an old rotten floor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Does the boat have raw plywood under the carpet right now? Normally it's glassed over form the factory.

You've gotta study up on your tinny brands ondarvr, that's twice today you've given glasser advice to a tin head :p

Epoxy resin with sand then painted would work well. Epoxy doesn't stand up to UV so you have to paint it.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Check out a product called duradeck. They use it on balconies and decks.

89Retta thanks for the idea but not quite the look I'm looking for. Looks like epoxy and sand it is!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You've gotta study up on your tinny brands ondarvr, that's twice today you've given glasser advice to a tin head :p

I think I only did it on this one, on the other one I knew the G3 was a tinny and corrected someone else. I had a G3 at my place for several years.

​You have to look close when you look at the new posts category, once you click on it it doesn't say what forum you're in. The I/O part of it got me thinking glass.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If this is a fishing boat, i would either rhino line or line-x

Or industrial rubber flooring.

Or carpet.

You do know the OMC 2.3 motor in the boat is a pinto/ford ranger motor.

I do indeed, I was able to pickup a complete 2.3 and lower unit for $400 from a guy. Planning on using the original one with the blown head for spare parts.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Have used NAUTOLEX MARINE VINYL FLOORING in several boats.

Similar to Dorsett flooring.

Both are Available from several online suppliers, maybe here on iboats too, but I haven't checked.

You don't need their special Adhesive.

Just use vinyl floor Adhesive like you would use for a bathroom floor.

I would recommend sealing the plywood with spar varnish, or resin, then gluing the vinyl down in one piece if possible.

That way you have 3 layers of protection for the plywood, sealer, adhesive, and the vinyl.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I redid all the wood in a '65 Starcraft 18' I/O on a restoration years ago. The new deck (floor) went in with adequate sealer. I glued indoor/outdoor carpet to the floor as I didn't want a slick floor. I don't like things sliding around when underway and don't want to have to fixture or strap everything to prevent it so the solution for me was a non skid surface. I/O carpet did that for me at a reasonable price with materials available for purchasing. Washes down nicely and usually was dry the next day.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Coal Tar Epoxy. it's cheap at $50 a gallon, absolutely waterproof, put whatever non-slip aggregate in it you want, when it's almost dry, spray paint it with Rustoleum 2x flat white primer... The whole job will cost less than $150, be completely non-slip and It'll outlast the rest of the boat...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I have used kids play sand from HD (fine grain, consistent mixture, clean) in fresh paint on trailer steps used in loading and unloading the boat. I agree the sand idea is super, nice and skid resistant, and cheap. I used a hand held, hand crank fertilizer/seed spreader which worked great in getting a uniform coat. When dry just brush off what didn't stick. When it wears off, repeat. I'll change my vote for that process.

I rebuilt a bayliner soft floor turned out to total trash. I cut, scraped every piece of plywood I could get to and put down aluminum plate 5/16" smooth side up and then carpeted. Soft floor equals rotten wood, ain't no paint gonna hold you up. I would love to upload this project but it is almost too depressing, rebuilt engine now have oil pressure problem...