Covering pontoon with wet carpet?

Hammbone!

Cadet
Hello, brought home first boat today. First post on here also. I got a Lowe SS230. We drove two hours home in rain and is still raining. We have a snap on cover. Supposed to stop raining tomorrow but are needing to leave for a couple days,The carpet is soaked do we need to let dry before putting cover on?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
If it is soaked completely as you say, then leave it uncovered. If it were just a bit wet then I would say cover it up

roffey

Commander
Does it have snap in carpets? if so take them out and let them drip dry.

Hammbone!

Cadet
Thanks for advice. I figured I needed to leave it uncovered until it drys out. I hate to since it is brand new....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Leave one corner loose and put a fan in there.

My carpet gets wet all the time because the cover only goes partway down the fence so when it rains, water can get the carpet under the cover wet. I never have an issue with mold.

Hammbone!

Cadet
Well it didn't rain today carpet dried out quit abit. Going to rain all night so I decided to put on cover for first time. Come to find out the cover has three plastic vent caps built into it, who knew .....was about the last thing I thought to ask about. I appreciate all the advice. I haven't even got it in the water yet...lol.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Open end tent it. Keep the worst of new water and debris from getting in but allow good ventilation so it can dry out.

I open end tented my boat all winter... nice and dry, very little leaves and stuff in it. No mold.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I didn't realize that they were still offering glued down carpet in pontoons. I thought they all transitioned to the Sea Grass style flooring?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I was wondering why you wanted to use wet carpet to cover your pontoon.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I didn't realize that they were still offering glued down carpet in pontoons. I thought they all transitioned to the Sea Grass style flooring?
Nope...Only in the higher level pontoons. You can see why if you checkout the price of Sea Grass. If and when I need to replace my carpet, I would still go back to carpet over SeaGrass because of the cost. There are probably other floorings that are more cost effective. I will cross that road when I come to it on my boat.

https://www.amazon.com/Seagrass-Luxu...QYW?th=1&psc=1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If you own a shop vac, you could have used it to suck out a lot of water from the carpet. And that would allow it to dry even quicker. Just an idea. :noidea:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I just looked at the Lowe website. Standard equipment is carpet. Optionally, you can select SeaGrass among other floors.