Given up on being cheap | New boat opinions

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was hoping to stay under 7k CAD but that dream is long gone, I went to the boat show today to look around and though the exact model(s) I wanted to see were not there I got a good idea of what I wanted. I am looking at the Glastron GTX 185 and the Stringray 198 LX or LS. What are everyone's opinions on these boats? Good choices or should I be looking at a different brand? They are they style I want and I am hoping to stay under 40K CAD

At this point I am still debating weather this is the right move or not, I have wanted a bowrider for years and am thinking it might be time to get what I want and keep it for the next 20 years.

roffey

Commander
I can't tell you what to buy but can say I am happy with my Stingray198.

If I had to buy it over I would get the 4.3 MPI over the TKS. Mind you it might put you over the 40k with tax and license.

SkaterRace

I can't tell you what to buy but can say I am happy with my Stingray198.

If I had to buy it over I would get the 4.3 MPI over the TKS. Mind you it might put you over the 40k with tax and license.
I don't know a ton about motors, what is the difference between the MPI and the TKS that would make you choose the MPI?

roffey

Commander
TKS is a cerebrated motor (Turn Key Start) MPI is fuel injection (Multi Port Injection) and generally more reliable. The big difference is 30 hp and about 5 mile per hour top end and better hole shot, but more cash. If your looking at a 2017 you may not have a choice.

89retta , not sure if your asking me or not but I'm from Ottawa (or just out side)

roffey

Commander
just checked and all new models are fuel injected. I think your only choice is a 4.3 or 4.5 ( 6 cylinder)

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
I'm very partial to Glastron I love their look very sporty recognizeable brand.

Maclin

Admiral
Are you factoring in that some of these you are looking at are still entry-level size of boats? If this one will be a keeper just keep in mind the 2-foot-itis syndrome that many boat owners "catch" after using a newly purchased boat for a while.

bashr52

Chief Petty Officer
Are you factoring in that some of these you are looking at are still entry-level size of boats? If this one will be a keeper just keep in mind the 2-foot-itis syndrome that many boat owners "catch" after using a newly purchased boat for a while.

I hear that! I started out with a 15ft for a few years, wanted to get into a 17-19 foot max. Ended up with a 21ft, so hopefully I'm good for a while....

jkust

Rear Admiral
Well, you've come to the right place, I've been boating for 43 years plus years having started at about 3 months old, live at my lake house all summer, live eat and sleep boats when there and am very opinionated. My state of MN is the land of garage sized trailer boats. Most folks don't go much bigger from first boat to second to third because it is impractical for most of the lakes and so they go up in quality not much more in loa. Pontoons are getting more popular and larger but you can fit a pontoon in a low garage opening versus the same length bowrider for example. They may go from a Tracker being ultra low end budget to a Lund for example or from a Glastron to a Fourwinns...same size or so, different quality level. Both of those boats you mention are pretty entry level or just a notch above in as much as a 50k boat can be considered entry level, but the Glastron has really taken their styling to the next level where that muscle car style is loved or loathed. I don't care for either of those particular brands nor the sporty look of the new Glastrons for various reasons but regardless, I would take my 40k and buy a much higher quality of the scale of boats but buy it a few years old. Used boats a few years old are about the best deal in town because until recently, the run of the mill bowrider brands that we are discussing here just didn't change much year to year. They depreciate quickly the first few years and are generally the same as the current model. Obviously the new Mercruiser engines have changed that a bit as well as some of the more recent style changes but generally speaking things move slow in this area which inures to the benefit of the slightly used boat buyer.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
We went from a 16' fishing boat to a 22' liberator. We need at least a 24'.

SkaterRace

Not sure what you mean, like I will want bigger in a few years? Because I will be content with the 19' range boats for a long time to come, I want to get a much larger boat and will be saving for that once I get this one.

SkaterRace

Well, you've come to the right place, I've been boating for 43 years plus years having started at about 3 months old, live at my lake house all summer, live eat and sleep boats when there and am very opinionated. My state of MN is the land of garage sized trailer boats. Most folks don't go much bigger from first boat to second to third because it is impractical for most of the lakes and so they go up in quality not much more in loa. Pontoons are getting more popular and larger but you can fit a pontoon in a low garage opening versus the same length bowrider for example. They may go from a Tracker being ultra low end budget to a Lund for example or from a Glastron to a Fourwinns...same size or so, different quality level. Both of those boats you mention are pretty entry level or just a notch above in as much as a 50k boat can be considered entry level, but the Glastron has really taken their styling to the next level where that muscle car style is loved or loathed. I don't care for either of those particular brands nor the sporty look of the new Glastrons for various reasons but regardless, I would take my 40k and buy a much higher quality of the scale of boats but buy it a few years old. Used boats a few years old are about the best deal in town because until recently, the run of the mill bowrider brands that we are discussing here just didn't change much year to year. They depreciate quickly the first few years and are generally the same as the current model. Obviously the new Mercruiser engines have changed that a bit as well as some of the more recent style changes but generally speaking things move slow in this area which inures to the benefit of the slightly used boat buyer.
What brand/model would you recommend I look at then? I like the sporty look and would like something that is not crazy expensive. There are a few features I like but most brands have them (flip up bolster, full beam sun pad for the admiral, nicer/newer dash and a few other small things). Also anything more than $40k I will need to take a loan so that is something I need to factor in. And if I need a loan pretty sure I can only get that on new boat? Now sure much about boat loans.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Here's my thinking...either of those are fine boats...just don't buy them new and spend a lot less money. Alternatively, move up a whole level, spend what you would have spent for the lower level, new boat but get a superior product by comparison. I don't know what brands are really available in your area since everything is just so regional. I'm all for paying cash and not taking a loan out assuming your 40K is just a bit of extra cash you have laying around in your checkbook or whatever. I'm all about the value and depreciation is a powerful thing and having actual dollar bills is uncommon in this world of credit and easy financing which opens doors not available to people dependent on loans. Your few criteria you mention are available in practically every bowrider out there for the last 17 years.

Maclin

Admiral
Not sure what you mean, like I will want bigger in a few years? Because I will be content with the 19' range boats for a long time to come, I want to get a much larger boat and will be saving for that once I get this one.

I was sort of focusing on this part of your first post and noticed that you were at the smallest entry of each, 20 years is a long time is all the point I wanted to make......"time to get what I want and keep it for the next 20 years."

SkaterRace

Here's my thinking...either of those are fine boats...just don't buy them new and spend a lot less money. Alternatively, move up a whole level, spend what you would have spent for the lower level, new boat but get a superior product by comparison. I don't know what brands are really available in your area since everything is just so regional. I'm all for paying cash and not taking a loan out assuming your 40K is just a bit of extra cash you have laying around in your checkbook or whatever. I'm all about the value and depreciation is a powerful thing and having actual dollar bills is uncommon in this world of credit and easy financing which opens doors not available to people dependent on loans. Your few criteria you mention are available in practically every bowrider out there for the last 17 years.
Suggestions on models to look at keeping with the sporty look? Those 2 brands seemed to have the best look to me out of the brands available around me that I know of, I am sure there are more I don't know about. There has to be..