1984 Sea Ray Express Cruiser

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I went to look at a boat on the local CL, a 1984 Sea Ray V225 Express Cruiser for $3500.

The upholstery is worn, but that's OK I can replace it myself.

It includes a 2012 Tandem trailer with brand-new tires.

It seems in pretty good shape for a 32 yr old boat, especially for the money.

I contacted the local boat surveyor and sent him a link to the CL ad, asking how much he would charge to check it out. He answered that in the case of boats this low-cost, only 2 out of 10 people end up buying it after his survey, so he was going to pass on checking it out for me. Why would he care if I bought it or not as long as I paid him?

Also, he said the CL picture of the port side of the boat shows a hull repair. I saw the discoloration but hadn't thought that it could be a hull repair. Here is the picture below, what do you guys think? If it is a hull repair, does that mean it is a very weak spot now or does it depend on the repair?

Thanks
Steve

Attachments

• photo261187.jpg
    photo261187.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
What motor and drive are in the boat? While I kinda don't understand either why the surveyor doesn't seem to want your money I think what he's trying to say and I agree is that a $3500 fiberglass boat from 1984 is GONNA have some rot somewhere. Especially one that isn't likely to have fit in someone's garage. That dark area on the side does look like a hull repair with gelcoat matching that was either done poorly or just has aged differently than the surrounding area (not uncommon).

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
The motor and drive is a 5.0 or 5.7 (don't remember now) Mercruiser.

While the vinyl was ripped and needed new material, the padding wasn't rotted and the wood was dry and in good shape. Most boats in this price range (and even higher) I have looked at had a lot of split and rotted wood, especially under the upholstery.

I realize a 10K boat would be in a lot better shape, but the budget isn't there. This boat seems to have been reasonably taken care of, with 32 years of wear on the upholstery. The cuddy upholstery was in good shape and doesn't need replacement.

Steve

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
You seem to be focusing a little too much on the upholstery. There is wood in the transom, stringers, and deck of this boat. This is what can often be rotted and repairing it is a BIG job. You need to check VERY carefully for any spots on the deck. ANY soft spot is almost always indicative of more rot below in the stringer. Also try to get a real good look at the transom especially around where the drive goes through. Be wary of anything looking cracked, wet, discolored, etc. Upholstery can be easily dealt with. A rotted transom or bad stringers on a boat this size is a major undertaking.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Agree with the all of the above.

Did you look/have any pictures of the engine room?

That boat at that price isn't likely to be cruise-ready without significant work and $.

I bought a 1998 25 ft express cruiser similar to that 4 years ago for over 10k from a guy who, I'm finding out, cared for it well/used it regularly. I have put a fair amount of blood, sweat, and tears into it - so I shudder to think about a 1984 worth $3,500. Then again, it could be that diamond-in-the-rough...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
agree with all the above. the upholstery is the last thing I would worry about. on a boat 33 years old, it would be rot in the stringers and transom. in that old searay, there is bound to be rotten structure somewhere.

that mark on the side is someones DIY hull patch.

mr 88

Commander
Sort of a weird area for a hull repair unless it was from docking it into a pylon. Surprised the surveyor didn't just give you the possible pros,and the cons about him doing a survey on a boat that old vs what he would charge. There are many boats listed on. www.********.com. that may fall into your price range and have the deck area that you originally were looking for. If you see something on there feel.free to pm me and I can give you the pros and cons of most if not all of those listed on that site,pretty familiar with all of them. Then decide if you want to hire a surveyor.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr 88

Commander
Looked at the ad and you could get it for 2700 cash in my opinion. That's what I would offer if all else passes, then start walking if he doesn't take it,he will stop you by the time you get to your car. The trailer is worth a grand all day long being that new. Really have to climb all over it with a hammer or screwdriver tapping away for soft spots,mostly on the transom and stringer if you can get to them. I wouldn't worry to much about that discolored spot if it looks like a repair,not in a high stress location, like the bottom or chines.

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looked at the ad and you could get it for 2700 cash in my opinion. That's what I would offer if all else passes, then start walking if he doesn't take it,he will stop you by the time you get to your car. The trailer is worth a grand all day long being that new. Really have to climb all over it with a hammer or screwdriver tapping away for soft spots,mostly on the transom and stringer if you can get to them. I wouldn't worry to much about that discolored spot if it looks like a repair,not in a high stress location, like the bottom or chines.

That is sort of what I was thinking. Bid lower on the boat and check things out the best I can.

I am looking at 2 other boats in the area, one does not include a trailer. How much should I plan on paying for a tandem-axle used trailer for a 24-26 foot boat?

I have the link for one of the other boats (I'm not sure this one fits in the budget though):

Steve

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depends where tou live. Down by me, a new aluminum trailer is about $2600. A good used trailer would be about $800 in good shape, or $300 needing work.

Then again, there are lots of boats, boat manufacturers and trailer manufacturers

mr 88

Commander
The most I would pay for the Imperial is 5,000 and that's pushing it. Low hours, but owner wants out and its a buyers market for any boats built in the 80's. Probably a bit underpowered for skiing,tubing would be okay. He has put some money into it, camper tops/frigs are not cheap. thought you were looking more for a day boat than overnighter. Lose a bit of rear deck space when going that route.

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
The most I would pay for the Imperial is 5,000 and that's pushing it. Low hours, but owner wants out and its a buyers market for any boats built in the 80's. Probably a bit underpowered for skiing,tubing would be okay. He has put some money into it, camper tops/frigs are not cheap. thought you were looking more for a day boat than overnighter. Lose a bit of rear deck space when going that route.

My ideal boat would have a lot of deck space with a small cuddy. I have not been able to find one like that for sale around here. There was one Sea Ray 260 CC which has a lot of deck space with a small cuddy but it was sold. It has to be able to carry at least 8 of us, so that means at least 22'. I am hoping to pick up a boat in the next few weeks before the weather gets nicer here and everyone goes out buying boats. We probably won't overnight very often (if at all) but a cuddy is needed for the baby and smaller kids to rest in.

Thanks
Steve