1982 Sea Ray SRV 255 Amberjack

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All:

I am looking at a 1982 Sea Ray SRV 255 Amberjack on CL for $5500. It's about 200 miles away.

I have been looking for a used boat that fits the budget (under $6K) and has the floorplan that we are looking for. We have a large family, so I am looking for a boat with a small cuddy and larger deck area. It seems that the deck area gets smaller and the cuddy cabin larger as you go to longer boats. We won't be doing much overnighting, so the cuddy is just for a rest area for the smaller kids. The Sea Ray that I am asking about has a pretty good floorplan for us.

What are your opinions on this boat?

I bought a 19' Larson 6 years ago that is a fixer-upper in progress (I am replacing stringers and floor), but I am looking for a non-project boat we can just put in the water. I don't mind (and expect) some mechanical/electrical issues here and there but I don't want any structural problems. I would like to hire a surveyor to check the boat out first. What are ballpark numbers on how much a surveyor would charge for checking the boat out?

Also, this boat has a 10' beam so I assume I will need some special permit for each state I will be driving through(boat is in Ohio, I live in NY)?

Thanks for the help
Steve

roffey

Commander
10 feet seems like a huge beam for a 26 foot boat, are you sure?

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

According to the 1982 Sea Ray Brochure, it's 9'10".

Here are the specs from the original brochure:

Attachments

• photo261083.jpg
    photo261083.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 7

roffey

Commander
K, just seems like a big beam. I had a 26 foot Wellcraft and the beam was 8 feet. Looks like a nice boat, enjoy.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
be as concerned over the trailer your going to be buying also and using to transport it 200 miles.. condition, condition, condition.. it's a heavy bugger.. NY huh? fingerlakes? that's were I float... if so,, you will enjoy that on those big lakes...

62cruiserinc

Petty Officer 1st Class
be as concerned over the trailer your going to be buying also and using to transport it 200 miles.. condition, condition, condition.. it's a heavy bugger.. NY huh? fingerlakes? that's were I float... if so,, you will enjoy that on those big lakes...

I have a 33' travel trailer that I have towed for the last 12 years, so I can appreciate your comment on the condition of the trailer. A blowout can ruin your day quickly, or a big boat deciding to part ways with the trailer.

I live in Western New York near Lockport (Erie Canal area). I'm hoping to put the boat in a slip somewhere on Lake Ontario.

Steve

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
SeaRay made a name for itself in the eighties, by producing boats with fancy interiors, vinylwork and hull rails and fittings. I expect the stainless components to be in good shape, however, on a boat that old, the vinyl/fabric etc has been replaced a couple of times, or not. I would look very closely at everything so you understand what you are getting into. It likely has a single sterndrive, which can be replaced for $4K or so, if you do the work. Hopefully it is a big block motor.

A boat that old will need to have all the mechanicals gone over, before launching. Thru hulls, hoses, wiring, plumbing, lights, accessories etc, will need to be tested. Also, the decking is likely plywood with chopped fiberglass/resin over it. Look around seat bases and consoles for any rot.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I am looking at a 1982 Sea Ray SRV 255 Amberjack on CL for $5500. It's about 200 miles away.

I have been looking for a used boat that fits the budget (under $6K)

I bought a 19' Larson 6 years ago that is a fixer-upper in progress (I am replacing stringers and floor), but I am looking for a non-project boat we can just put in the water

What are ballpark numbers on how much a surveyor would charge for checking the boat out?

its a 35 year old boat for $5500. while it may be a diamond in the rough gem of a boat that was meticulously maintained and stored inside a heated warehouse. my guess is that the boat is a project boat that either sat outside its whole life, or sat in the water a good portion of it. boats under $10k tend to be project boats, especially boats 35 years old. however the 80's vintage searays were well built boats initially. it comes down to the quality of maintenance and repair.

very good idea on the surveyor. expect a surveyor to charge between $350 and 500

mr 88

Commander
The hull is probably about 8'9'' at the transom and thats where most police would measure it. IF it was me I would roll the dice and just drag it back and IF stopped I would say I thought we were allowed 9'. If you wanted to go legal you will need permits for 3 states along with a route plan and you are limited to times and days when you can tow it. Cost would be around 250 for someone else to do the paperwork for you. They will need overall length,distance of axles from tow truck and each other/load capacities of tires/axles/truck etc. A ticket will cost you about the same ,unless they make you pull over and park it until you get the proper paperwork. I pull my 11' beam boat twice a year from Clarence to Wilson NY and don't bother with a permit, I do have a truck with 4 way flashers following me and have never got stopped. When I brought the boat back from the East coast I did get all the permits because of the distance I was traveling. I am not saying go break the law,just telling you what I would do. Your other option is to inspect and buy the boat,then pay a hauler who has blanket permits to bring it back. There are a few guys that advertise in your local craigslist that do it and usually charge by the mile , you probably could barter that price down.