Bottom Paint

saycoda

Cadet
Back to boating this year, I bought a boat late last year. I will be keeping my boat in a slip all summer. Do I have to paint bottom, do I have to do this every year, or is it a condition issue, if it looks good don't have to paint it. Should I gently power wash it before I inspect? I live on the south shore of Long Island, what kind of paint should I use?

Thanks in advance.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
OK, south shore of LI means Great South Bay. You will need bottom paint. You cannot tell by looking at the current pain if it is any good. You could put her in the water and watch for growth. When it starts, pull her and paint her. Or you could just paint her. I would do the latter,
I would recommend 2 coats of a good multi-season ablative paint. Interlux Micron CSC is good. West Marine (Pettit) CPP is OK. CPP is about as cheap as I would go.

The good news is that bottom paint is soft, so the barnacles are easier to scrape off, if you mess up.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
EVEN THOUGH THE PAINT CONDITION LOOKS GOOD ,THE ANTIFOULING PROPERTIES NEED TO BE RENEWED SO YES YOU NEED NEW PAINT OR YOU WILL GROW A MESS UNDERWATER.