Tracker Boats

uinthas7

Seaman Apprentice
Just about ready to pull the trigger on a new 2017 Tracker Pro 175 combo. I really like the boat and it meets my needs. My question is quality, read folks who wouldn't touch them, and others who love them. I am buying a new boat because I got royally screwed on a used boat and have little appetite to go through that again. I have looked at Lunds, G3, Crestliner and they are all much more expensive than what I'm looking at. If Trackers are no good I'll just go without a boat for now, I don't want to spend what Lund and others want, but I love fishing/boating and would love to own a good reliable boat.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I know plenty of people that won't drive anything less than a Lexus or Mercedes. But that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with a Ford or Chevy.

That is what the Tracker is, a Ford. Not as refined as a Lexus, better than a Yugo, and much better than walking.

Max out on horsepower, and upgrade to a trailer with brakes if it doesn't come with them. Once you fuel the boat you will be well over the legal limit in most states.
Then add gear, anchors, cooler, ice, a spare tire, and you will be at 3300# or more.

Tight lines.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Family had a tracker III back in the early 80's. It was built like a tank. todays are a bit thinner, etc. however still fairly well built the Tracker 175 is very similar to what the tracker III was 30 years ago. it floated, the motor worked, it got you to the fishing spots.

its up to the driver to put the plug in, catch fish, and go boating.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
If you go with the entry level (lowest MSRP) for that boat, that price usually includes an engine that is marginal for that boat. Look at the maximum HP tag on the boat. You want an engine that provides at least 70 - 75% of the maximum rated HP. If the tag says 90 HP max, you want a 70 HP minimum. Anything less than that will likely provide acceptable performance very lightly loaded. Get a couple people and gear in the boat and you will likely be unhappy with performance. Another thought on this is that a big engine loafing will be as economical as a small engine working itself to an early grave.

uinthas7

Seaman Apprentice
I did upgrade the trolling motor from the 50lb thrust to 70lb, and the motor from a 90hp to 115 merc. I am certainly not a Lexus Or Mercadedes kind of guy, infact yes I do drive a F150 and love it. I plan on owning this boat for 15 years and dont want something breaking every time I go fishing, I want to fish not work on things. I have read of some hull's cracking, but after much time Tracker did fix them, they dont seem to be quick about it at all. My dealer has told me that Tracker did have a reputation problem prior to about 2010 and since then they have really put out a quality product. All things being equal, and between the Lund, G3 and Tracker and I knew not what brand it was, I'd pick the tracker I just liked the options it came with standard, and the layout fit my use very well. So in your opinion this should be a go, and just enjoy fishing?

uinthas7

Seaman Apprentice
New Tracker a good buy

Thanks for the reply Texasmark, have you owned a tracker before or currently?

Last edited:

fishrdan

Admiral
I have a (cheap) Tracker jon boat and wouldn't buy another Tracker, cracked welds... There is a reason the other boats are more expensive, better boats. If I had the choice of buying a Tracker or not go fishing, I would buy one, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

Check over the warranty closely as the last time I looked at their warranty it stipulated that it covered "exterior welds". So if the boat suffers cracked welds under the deck and covered with flotation foam, will the tear the boat half apart to fix it, since it's not an exterior weld?.....

You already noticed the frugal/cheap rigging and doing the right thing by upgrading the outboard and trolling motor. I would also scrutinize the electronics, budget fish finder or something decent? If they are adding in a cover, try to get a better grade of cover. Check the size of trolling batteries, small group 24 or bigger group 29 or 31? Battery charger included, and if it is, what is it's rating/bank?

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Nothing wrong with Tracker boats. I fish with people who have them and they have no complaints. Of course there are people who own higher end boats and would not get caught dead in one..After all image is everything!!! I was looking at the same boat package, well set up, hard to beat for the money, if the package did not come with brakes, I would up grade for those as the whole thing weighs in around 2900lbs dry...ENJOY!

uinthas7

Seaman Apprentice
Great feedback here, I really appreciated it. Fishdran I think you make good points, I will call Tracker with the questions on the welds, there is a lifetime warranty on that. Here is what there website states:

LIMITED LIFETIME STRUCTURAL AND DECK WARRANTY For the entire life of your boat (if you're the original owner), we cover the hull, interior ribs, transom, exterior welds, and decking.

no mention here of a specific weld, just weld.

The 5 year warranty is from bow to stern. I thought about an upgrade to trailer brakes but just dont see the need, my current boat is 700lbs heavier and my truck handles it just fine braking. I am also upgrading the finder from a Lowrance hook 4x to a Lowrance Hook7, this will run me about another $300. After all my upgrade (which I think of it as being loaded, 115 merc, 70lb thrust 24v elect minkota, 3rd battery, Hook 7 finder, which I am paying, dealer is throwing in a battery charger, bimini top, boat cover, bow cushions) I'm still $5000 less than the Lund with less options, G3 wanted what I am OTD on the tracker with nothing including rear folding seats.

jkust

Rear Admiral
You get what you pay for usually in the new boat market....Tracker are inexpensive to get you out fishing in a low frills way. Many people just don't care what they boat in and are satisfied to be out there doing what they love. The used market is where you can get much more than you pay for with some patience.

Maclin

Admiral
With the Tracker boats the experience after the purchase is affected by the competence of the sales staff. For rigging, upgrading, livewell plumbing, things like that. My side-laws (parents of a son-in-law) bought a Tracker, nice 18-19 foot fishing boat. It is a shared family boat and daughter and son-in-law were tubing and stuff and about swamped it because the livewells were not plumbed correctly. They had to take it back to get them to fix. Just things to consider that can make a big diff on your down the road experiences.

Good luck with your quest!

Last edited by a moderator:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Yeah my concern is less with Tracker and more with everything I've read about service after the sale. Are there other Tracker dealers?

uinthas7

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah my concern is less with Tracker and more with everything I've read about service after the sale. Are there other Tracker dealers?

There are 2 dealers here in my state, I have personal experience with this dealer in the past, and know people who use this dealer and I think we would all give them at least 4 stars, I think this dealer is a plus on my purchase.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Great feedback here, I really appreciated it. Fishdran I think you make good points, I will call Tracker with the questions on the welds, there is a lifetime warranty on that. Here is what there website states:

LIMITED LIFETIME STRUCTURAL AND DECK WARRANTY For the entire life of your boat (if you're the original owner), we cover the hull, interior ribs, transom, exterior welds, and decking.

no mention here of a specific weld, just weld.

The 5 year warranty is from bow to stern. I thought about an upgrade to trailer brakes but just dont see the need, my current boat is 700lbs heavier and my truck handles it just fine braking. I am also upgrading the finder from a Lowrance hook 4x to a Lowrance Hook7, this will run me about another $300. After all my upgrade (which I think of it as being loaded, 115 merc, 70lb thrust 24v elect minkota, 3rd battery, Hook 7 finder, which I am paying, dealer is throwing in a battery charger, bimini top, boat cover, bow cushions) I'm still $5000 less than the Lund with less options, G3 wanted what I am OTD on the tracker with nothing including rear folding seats.

...exterior welds...

fishrdan

Admiral
...exterior welds...

Yep, that's what I was talking about. By Tracker specifically calling out "exterior welds" it does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling...

The dealer can say anything they want about covering "All" welds, but I would want that in writing from Tracker corporate, that they will warranty all welds.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't own a Tracker. Several friends have them and they ARE substandard.

Maybe a Lund is out of reach financially, but I'd look at a Starcraft or a Alumacraft. Lifetime warranty on decks and seam leakage. Plus, the hull design is outstanding. When i bought my last tinny the price differential was negligible (with a dealer willing to negotiate). At that time I could not justify the extra for a Lund, plus the Starcraft met my needs better.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
I've seen to many aluminum trackers brake welds and sink, start to sink, or sink and kill people for me to be
comfortable on the water in one,....

The new Nitro glass boats seem to be holding up very well,.......

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I personally would stay away from a Tracker. We were looking at a few parked outside here in the Niagara area of Ontario and the fit and finish of those boats were atrocious. 1 boat had 1" of water sitting in the livewells and storage boxes from rain. Welds looked like an 8th grade apprentice did them, many welds stopped short of the seam, water is going to get in that boat. And these were their "showroom" boats. Just poor workmanship and materials. Yes you get what you pay for. You say after your upgrades a Lund is $5000.00 more, that tells me you may find another brand for the same price.