"You're gonna need a bigger boat!"

rkilpa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have outgrown my current 20yr old 18' bowrider. Looking at deck boats. My eyes are bigger than my garage. Would love a Chaparral, Monterey or Crownline, but although the garage is 28' deep, it only has a 6'10" high opening. I'm not looking to pay for storage and I can't have it sitting outside a vacation house.

I am considering a couple of used $30K Ebbtide 2200 SS SC's that would just squeak inside, but each boat has it's share used boat concerns. I am also thinking about going NEW, but I have found only a couple of candidates in my price range of $45K: 2017 Tahoe 215xi or a 2017 StarCraft 221E I/O.

Both of these would easily fit in the garage, but I am not sure where these manufactures rank in the hierarchy of builders. I personally see Tahoe as a mass produced builder sold through local sporting good shops so I liken them in the same group as Bayliner, which brings snickers from a lot of other boaters.

I don't know much about StarCraft Marine, but I really like the layout and huge swim deck this particular model has. Again, just wondering if they might be the KIA of boats or something. I may not be able to afford the Cadillac of boats, but I would be OK with the Toyota of boats.

I'm willing to spend more on a new boat knowing there will be no initial financial problems to deal with. I would hate to sink $30K into a used boat just to start throwing money at it.....

I am also trying to stay with I/O. I don't like the look of outboards, but it seams most deck boats in my size range use them. Should I be more open to considering a model with an outboard? I've read the pros and cons....it's just the look for me.

Any other good brands that anyone recommends that would fit my size limitations?

Maclin

Admiral
Most deckboats have that shorty windshield just for the driver, so even with the high freeboard from self bailing deck they are not that tall over all, so there's that. A neighbor just got a 2001 Crownline 24' deck boat, seems huge out in front of his house but I bet it would fit in the length and height dimensions you gave.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I don't know much about StarCraft Marine, but I really like the layout and huge swim deck this particular model has. Again, just wondering if they might be the KIA of boats or something. I may not be able to afford the Cadillac of boats, but I would be OK with the Toyota of boats.

Yeah so I think you should do some homework before making the comparison of a Korean made car that's a pile to an American made boat with over 100 years of history. Check the history of boats made in America, not many if any have been made longer than Starcraft. These boats also have a HUGE following here at iboats, at least the aluminum models, more so than any other on the market.

Here is a quick read at wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starcraft_Marine.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Unfortunately all boats in the $30-45K range are entry level boats anymore. There's no mystery about boat building and how to build a good one. But at that price point the manufacturers are all trying to make a buck by doing the very least possible to produce an average boat that won't fall apart right away.

I've been inside Starcraft's plant. It's an old family run business. They make their deck boats the same way everyone else does.

I think you should re-consider the outboard option. I think the biggest benefit is no gaping hole in the transom to go bad in 10 years. And, you save money every winter when you don't have to do near as much to put them away. The 4 strokes are quiet and powerful.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I personally see Tahoe as a mass produced builder sold through local sporting good shops so I liken them in the same group as Bayliner, which brings snickers from a lot of other boaters.

There have been some members here with Tahoe's that have had some serious build quality issues. There's been issues with other brands as well but what stood out for me on these cases was how absolutely useless BassPro was in dealing with them.[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about StarCraft Marine, just wondering if they might be the KIA of boats or something.

Them's fighting words :p In all seriousness though they're a solid mid-range brand that at the very least I would expect to stand behind their product.

I'm willing to spend more on a new boat knowing there will be no initial financial problems to deal with. I would hate to sink $30K into a used boat just to start throwing money at it.....

Oh there's an initial financial problem alright.........the huge depreciation hit you take. Only thing worse is campers. I'd personally go used. Not only do you let someone else take the depreciation hit, you can also typically walk away with thousand$ in upgrades and accessories that you'd pay dearly for on a new one.

I am also trying to stay with I/O. I don't like the look of outboards, but it seams most deck boats in my size range use them. Should I be more open to considering a model with an outboard? I've read the pros and cons....it's just the look for me.

I can see your point on the "look" but outboards seem to be winning. I went to the Baltimore boat show last year and was blown away at how I/O's had absolutely DISAPPEARED from pretty much everything but larger cruisers. Even sleek high end bowriders had big 4 stroke outboards hanging off the back. I think the price advantage I/O's had is reduced now that they are required to have emissions controls on them. Also, new 4 stroke outboards are smoother and quieter than ever. I talked to two dealers about it and they both said they could still order boats with I/O's but outboards are what people are wanting. Baltimore and the Chesapeake Bay is a salt or brackish area where outboards have always been advantageous so I would not expect I/O's to be quite as absent at more inland dealers/shows. I personally prefer outboards as there are fewer moving parts to break and less maintenance.