Re-naming a boat, yay or nay.

superfets

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So as most of you know by now i got my first boat. So while i'm trying to figure out how to get it sea worthy, my wife is concerned with naming it! First off. Is this a big NO NO. She says there's some type of ceremony we can do to re-name the boat. Is this true? Secondly, has the boat even been named. Currently there are three letters on the side below the manufacturers decal Invader. They are L.D.B. Which stand for Lac Du Bonnet. That is what she is considering it's name. But that's where the came from. So is that considered a name? What do you think? Thanks

Edit, Please more to appropriate forum please and thanks

Attachments

• photo261062.jpg
    photo261062.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
I always figured I would do the ceremony if it came to changing the name, mainly because it seems like it could be fun to do and get everybody involved. I guess I may be a little bit superstitious as well. The boat I just got has a decal on the back corner, says "NO BAD DAYS". Might be the boat's name, might not, but no plans to change it for now :)

20170228_130659.jpg

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
I just changed the boats name and never gave it a second thought

+1. I just took the name off of mine. I spent a lot of time on old boats that were renamed multiple times with no silly ceremony or second thought and none of them sank or hurt anyone. I'm still here.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
LDB is obviously not the name of the boat. Just choose a name that has meaning to you and that you and her like, put it on the back of the boat and then go boating.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Scrape off old letters. Install new name in letters. Go boating. Problem solved.
Ceremony? Really? Sheesh!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
+1. I just took the name off of mine. I spent a lot of time on old boats that were renamed multiple times with no silly ceremony or second thought and none of them sank or hurt anyone. I'm still here.
It's not silly. It's a way of having a party and most of all getting the whole family involved.

Sure, there are those that say you don't want to anger Poseidon. I imagine some people believe in that, but to most its not superstition, but just happy banter.

When you have a kid's birthday party, do you sing "Happy Birthday" and make him blow out candles on the cake? Same silly tradition. In that case maybe you could be called a good parent. No boat renaming ceremony and you sure aren't a boater...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Maybe it's kinda like paying of a mortgage and having party by burning the lein papers that sez it's paid off.

Don't worry about changing the name. If you want have fun, go for it. Just don't take it too seriously....

JoLin

Vice Admiral
It's not silly. It's a way of having a party and most of all getting the whole family involved.

Sure, there are those that say you don't want to anger Poseidon. I imagine some people believe in that, but to most its not superstition, but just happy banter.

When you have a kid's birthday party, do you sing "Happy Birthday" and make him blow out candles on the cake? Same silly tradition. In that case maybe you could be called a good parent. No boat renaming ceremony and you sure aren't a boater...

You hit the nail on the head. That's Linda and me (Poseiden), complete with bed sheet toga, Burger King crown and home-made trident. There were 12 boats and about 30 people at the raft-up when we did it. We and our Power Squadron buds had a terrific time

Rename1.jpg rename2.jpg

Attachments

• Rename1.jpg
    Rename1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Rename1.jpg
    Rename1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 2
  • rename2.jpg
    rename2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 2

rolmops

Vice Admiral
I never name anything that can not respond when called by name.

I would tend to agree, I have had my cat for eighteen years years and she never responded to her name until I started calling her "Food". now she responds every time I say "food". Maybe it is just getting the proper vibes between you and your boat. I suggest calling her "gas" or "Sump pump". Or if you want to flatter her maybe "Trailer Queen" will make her respond.

Maclin

Admiral
You hit the nail on the head. That's Linda and me (Poseiden), complete with bed sheet toga, Burger King crown and home-made trident. There were 12 boats and about 30 people at the raft-up when we did it. We and our Power Squadron buds had a terrific time

Far out man!

jkust

Rear Admiral
Rename it to your liking...I wouldn't think twice about it. It's rare to see a boat with a name on it in my state...I would have removed the name completely if there was one when I picked my current boat up.

harleyman1975

Ensign
Anything that makes your wife want to be involved enthusiastically is what you must do! You may be the Captain but she is the Admiral.