What are my options for adding a larger fuel tank

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1979 16 ft Ranger Bass Boat with an 85 hp Mercruiser and a 5 gallon fuel tank is just not cutting it. What are my options for adding a larger fuel tank? Right now I have a metal 5 gallon gas can thats in the middle of two batteries and the trim pump. Has anyone done an upgrade to the side of a fuel tank or am I stuck carrying more than one fuel can for a day of fishing? Its very inconvenient when you are going from one part of the lake to another.

Any help is appreciated.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looks like this boat. the only difference is the rear has one large lid for the battery and fuel area.

Ranger158V017.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How about a pic of the area where the batteries and tank are? Visualizing isn't working.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll have to try tomorrow. Knew that would have been a question. I should have better prepared

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can cut holes in the deck and look for a place to add a below deck tank, or just take an extra gas can when needed. The take an extra fuel tank when needed is an easy low cost option, the other is a bit work, and you may not find a place to put one.

​Or, you could put a fuel tank right behind the front pedestal seat, then cover it so it's the same height as the existing deck, no lost floor space and much more fuel on board.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'll post a pic tomorrow. I have an idea of where to maybe move one of the batteries but I believe one on each side is to balance the weight.
Thank you for the replies I'll post a photo tomorrow

GA_Boater

I'll have to try tomorrow. Knew that would have been a question. I should have better prepared

Gotcha! LOL

The trouble is over the years owners make changes and while that Ranger appears stock with all the hatches closed, yours may only take some minor rearranging. Tanks come in all shapes and sizes and one of us may have a simple solution. Hope so anyway.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
was thinking of cutting two openings to the right of the current opening and sliding the batteries in there or adding a fuel tank under it instead and leaving the batteries where they are in case I have any issues.

GA_Boater

Can you twist the tank 90 degrees and still fit under the back edge of the cover/splashwell?

oldjeep

Admiral
No battery boxes, or terminal covers and an un grounded metal fuel tank between them. Yeesh.

Looks like plenty of space for a bigger can though.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No battery boxes, or terminal covers and an un grounded metal fuel tank between them. Yeesh.

Looks like plenty of space for a bigger can though.

I have covers for the batteries. It was all thrown in for a photo..lol was thinking I could slide the batteries back towards the back right up against the transom. Than add a larger narrow tank

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you're asking about the method you suggested, putting more weight in the stern of a small boat can cause planing and balance issues, it's better to spread the weight out a bit.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Here is an idea, you may like it, or not.

Do you use the livewell?
If not, place a second fuel tank in the livewell.

Or, put the batteries in the livewell.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I'm looking at the open rectangular area ahead of and to the left of the helm. Put a hinged step over it and stash the tanks (or the batts) under there.

My .02

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is an idea, you may like it, or not.

Do you use the livewell?
If not, place a second fuel tank in the livewell.

Or, put the batteries in the livewell.

Yeah I use the live well quite a bit. I was also considering moving the batteries into the storage area next to the livewell. Or atleast the trolling motor battery since it's only used for it.

Derekc294

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I did some measuring and its going to work out if I move the battery into the storage area. I'll vent the battery box out of the storage box and it will also eliminate 14ft of wire from the back of the boat to the trolling motor. I think thats a bonus in itself. I wish I thought of that earlier. So now moving forward is there a fuel tank manufacturer that you all would recommend? I will get the exact dimensions later today but just curious if there is a brand that is preferred over another for safety reasons etc.

Thank you to those who have taken the time to reply also.