new boat frieght and set up fee !!!

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just trying to see if people buying new boats are having to pay these charges .. the dealer is trying to soak me for 2900$ freight and 1080$ set up fee ..for a 20ft regal .. also what is a reasonable price for a decent trailer .. never bought a new boat so not sure whats a decent price .. doesn't need fancy wheel or any of that
stuff.. any help would be great!!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you don't want to pay it, just say no, he may or may not be bluffing and just wants to make more money. Other times they give you a price that looks very good, much better than everybody else, then hit you with these costs after the fact. In the end all the costs and fees need to be paid by the buyer no matter how they present it, so if other places gave a similar total cost, then this is the real price.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
When I shop, I ask for total price out the door, rigged as specified in the contract.

That way, you can compare apples to apples.

As for the trailer, it could cost anywhere between $1600 and $5000, depends on how it is made, what it includes.

I also want to see it and touch it before making a deal. Too many dealers can't follow through and actually get you the boat motor trailer rigged the way you want, for the price they quote, or in the specified delivery window.

oldjeep

Admiral
Seems like a lot of freight, but not unusual that there is a freight and dealer prep fee.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
6800$ is what they want to charge for a trailer.. it is nice but way over done ..it doesn't need custom wheels and fancy paint !! One of the dealers is trying to jack the price up on the 2018 regal to make it look like the 2016 he has in stock is a better deal .. wish I could buy directly from the factory!!

tpenfield

Staff member
Was the boat itself priced favorably? The pricing on all the other stuff sounds like where they are trying to make some extra money. $6800 for a trailer sounds 2X high.

roffey

Commander
I purchased my boat with the trailer included, I believe they call it a value added pricing, LOL. As mentioned above I negotiated or knew the price with tax, licence and trailer. Boat was a 2014 purchased in 2014 with trailer included no dealer or freight included.

jkust

Rear Admiral
You can easily shop around for a trailer somewhere else. The replacement painted shorelandr trailer for my former 18 foot boat was between 4k and 5k with a single axle. Sounds like they are selling a custom matched version which I am guessing is a twin axle as well. Trailers aren't cheap but people overlook that in the overall excitement of boat buying. As for the fees, they are either in the cost of the package or separate but you are paying one way or another. Wow...the 2018 model year boats are out already....that's crazy.

roffey

Commander
I agree jkust, you will pay one way or the other. Me personally I look at the deal and will bite if I think the price is reasonable. We have to keep in mind, profit is not a dirty word and the dealer has over head he has to pay for and a short season to make his year.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Since Regal's are made in Orlando Fl...$2900 shipping to California doesn't seen too far out of line, Then again if he is a Regal dealer most likely two or more boats were shipped on the same trailer. $1080 @ approx $100 per hr shop time does not sound too bad, of course does it 10 hrs to prep a new boat. Trailer price.... I think you can do better, then again it's California. I think I would shop around for a better deal. Just Saying

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am shopping around ,but if I order a boat it won't be ready until sometime in June or July that's why it's a modelyear 2018.. it's the exact same boatThe dealer has in stock, I just don't care for the graphics on the boat,I don't care for that look, not saying it's bad..I just want a plain white hull with a boot stripe, The particular boat that he has in stock I looked at last summer and they still haven't sold it yet it's been sitting on the lot for over a year now ..I understand they do need to make a profit on it and I'm not against that but they basically doubled the price of everything on an 2018 that would have to be ordered.. to make it seem like the 2016 boat they have in stock is a great deal and it really ain't ..and the problem is is we're going into the heart of the boat season soon , So prices are going to be up, I was going to buy last year but I ended up buying a new home instead .. i'm thinking since I have a fairly nice boat already I might hold off and buy a new boat once the season is over if I can't get a fair deal on a new boat sooner than that ..

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Did you tell us California? I too assumed that based on the prices and fees. Yes, for those who don't know, everything is 50% more expensive in CA, and all junky fees and such are double, compared to most parts of the country. Sun tax!

(Side note: I think people born here grow up conditioned to pay all these exorbitant junk fees and taxes and whatnot...immigrants from elsewhere in the country, like me, can still manage some outrage over that crap!)

Yes, I agree with your last post...if you already have a boat that will suit you for another season, screw them. Don't put the pressure on yourself!

Last edited:

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes .. living in California bay area , during boating season I'm either at Berryessa or Lake Shasta .. i'm definitely not gonna put myself in a bind over this boat , If everything works out... great, if not I'll wait till the off-season which is about late October here .. it's funny I was just looking over the two invoices he gave me for the boat in stock,and the one he would have to order. one set up fee is $1080 the next one for the 2018 is $2998 and a $2300 difference in trailer cost for the same boat.. WTF.. might have to travel to a nearby state !! There's absolutely nothing wrong with the boat that I currently own other than the fact it's getting a little small and I would like some of the modern technologies like Bluetooth ..and A better seating arrangement, the boat has served me very well for many years and has very low hours for a 2002 model I think it has about 370 hours on it now , It may have a little more but it's definitely less than 500..we do very little water sports since the kids are grown and gone, mostly just run outto our favorite coves ,throw the anchors and enjoy some tunes and some cold adult beverages ..

Last edited:

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I see that you have a 185 Capri 4.3 not a darn thing wrong with those boats. I've boated in the same lakes you mentioned when I lived in Cali. By chance are you a member of the BOC...Baylinerownersclub....lot of members out that way.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'll just toss it out there but maybe take a look at some used boats that are just a year or two old. A reason I never, ever buy my boats or my powersports new is in my state of MN that is about a half notch less bad than CA, is because of the tax advantage in MN to buying used (powersports and boats from non dealers) which for some reason they haven't gotten rid of here, plus you get a trailer most times on lake sized boats and of course no matter where you are, you will get a nearly new boat for which someone else has taken the depreciation. Other than my main boat, I generally purchased all of my other vehicles at just a year or two old from someone who bought it and just didn't use it and decided to sell at a large discount to new.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Around here, if it's a trailerable boat, the price tag on the boat includes everything except sales tax, regs and maybe a few stupid document fees.

So you find a 20' boat for $28,000 only to find out that price is good only if you drive to the boat factory and drag one home, otherwise it's actually going to cost $37,000... While those sales tactics aren't illegal, I've always considered them riding the edge of 'unethical'... But that's me...

WaterDR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Almost always buying a boat out of current inventory is way better than ordering. They want to get rid of the stuff they have....but also depends on incentives and I suspect not much on a 2018 yet. But I don't really know.

Btw, I just sold a pontoon boat I bought new 5 years ago for what I paid for it then. Boat market is very subjective and impacted by trends.

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I see that you have a 185 Capri 4.3 not a darn thing wrong with those boats. I've boated in the same lakes you mentioned when I lived in Cali. By chance are you a member of the BOC...Baylinerownersclub....lot of members out that way.
No iam not a member of the bayliner owners club ..your right there is nothing wrong with the boat .. if it was bigger I would run it indefinitely ..

lineman09

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the input everyone ..I have thought about buying a newer model used boat but around here everything used are wakeboard boats or used runabouts around the same vintage my current boat is, I absolutely do not want a wakeboard boat ..what Will probably end up happening is that I end up waiting until the boating season is over again and try to pick up a boat then !! I am definitely not going to rush this , I have a boat it's not like I'm landlocked for the summer, I am going to be up in the Eugene Oregon area sometime next month might have to run up to the Portland area which is about an hour and a half away and check out the dealers up there….Anyways once again thanks for the input everybody !!!

If this dealer hasn't been able to get rid of this boat and is still tossing crazy conditions around it (fees, paying for a custom trailer, etc.) it will probably be around in the fall. You can always write your name and number on a slip of paper, tell him what you're willing to pay -- or what you don't like about his offer -- and tell him to call you only when he's ready to deal on it.

It may not hurt to have a pamphlet from a competitor in your hand as you hand him your slip of paper.

I've been chased down in parking lots by salesmen / store managers after walking out on deals. It's probably the most rewarding part of the sales process, because the rest sucks!