will be upgrading to different style of boat. Biggest surprise you encountered?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Currently have a 21' deck boat and will be getting a 26-28' cruiser.
I know there will be big differences in the 2, but for anyone that made the leap, what some things that you didn't anticipate?

I will be using the boat for overnight/ weekend trips, so generator is a must.
my marina can handle up to 35', but its tight with my current one, so I also want a bow thruster.

Any insight?

thanks

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I will be using the boat for overnight/ weekend trips, so generator is a must.

I've owned a 21' WAC, 24' express cruiser, 27' express cruiser and the current 26' fly bridge. Never had or needed a genny for weekending. They take up a lot of space and it's another expensive component to maintain. Running the motor for 20 minutes makes hot water (assuming your water heater has a heat exchanger). Dual batteries and good power management take care of the rest for a night or two. Turn the fridge way down or off and use a good cooler to store the perishables. Replace the cabin light bulbs with LED's. Helps if you have an alcohol/electric stove. A propane or butane camp stove works well, too.

Biggest thing you'll have to contend with is the increased 'sail area' of a cabin boat, and the effect of wind on the boat. If you can, get a slip that's oriented in the same direction as the prevailing summer wind. Always easier to back INTO the wind, than have the wind trying to blow you into your slip. There's a learning curve, but you'll get the hang of it.

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I agree with JoLin. no need for a genny. you may want a genny, however there is no need for one. a good cooler will keep ice for 5 days. a long weekend is only 3 days. with LED lighting and decent power management, a pair of group 31's will power all you needs for 3 days without ever starting the engines other than for hot water. if you add A/C, then you need a genny

get twins in that size, you dont need a bow thruster, you need twins so you can stick steer it into the tight spaces. (it also allows you to come back when one motor fails unless its a common fuel tank and you have water in the tank)

here is a good article on docking with twins http://www.yachtsurvey.com/docking.htm

generally if you want a bow thruster on that small of a boat, you will be adding it yourself. most likely an electric bow mounted one like a sideshift or you will be hogging a hole in your hull to add a thruster tube as they dont come with them.

when you get over 40', bow thrusters start becoming available, and over 40' with rudders you also get stern thrusters

a few things since your looking at a bit more than twofootitus:
  • there is no such thing as fuel economy in a boat, so enjoy it and dont sweat the fuel bill
  • its going to be slower than your deck boat, enjoy the cruise
  • you are now going to be looking at things like radar and sonar. start saving your money
  • your going to now have a bit more room, and an urge to fill it with "stuff" resist the urge to load the boat up with stuff you wont use.
  • bigger boat takes a deeper ramp to launch compared to your deck boat.
  • watersports from behind an express cruiser sucks
  • practice docking and maneuvering on the week days - burn a day of vacation. Mondays are best as you can here crickets at most ramps
  • get a few more dock bumpers and a bumper holder that mounts to the rail

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Won't be a huge change for you, some yes - but you should adapt quickly.

Yes, we never 'needed' our generator and yes I spent lots of time below deck fiddling with it (boat sat for 10 years prior to us). Heck, you are on the water to enjoy the outdoors, not keep all your lights and stereo and TV's and whatevers running. On current boat below, which is a 23' but in today's sizes would be a 26' with a nice stand up cabin - I have two battery powered LED's for the few times I want / need to see details. Otherwise it is stars and silence for us. You are in FL so your call for AC if it comes wit it but honestly in TN and AL where I boats it can be well into the 80's and sticky at night. Almost never was uncomfortable - when you are on the hook you will always be pointed into any breeze. Leave hatch at a 45 degree angle and any breeze there is is directed down to you.

Ours had two engines and after about 10 trips out was just fine backing / maneuvering. I've not seen too many boats in your size with bow thrusters - but then I only deal in old cheap boats. I have seen one that mounts to the hull for a retrofit.

Depending on what you get and what you have now you may find the engine area working space much tighter.

No matter what kind of stove it comes with make sure you know how to operate it. If no manual avail post up here. I almost learned the hard way on my last one, and the one before had its quirks. Know your stove.

We kept the fridge on when on shore power, didn't worry about it for an overnight; we kept seriously perishables on ice (meats etc). Mayo, mustard, cheese, veggies, breads - most everything you have for a night or two out can be room temp for a good amount of time. Or the fridge has a freezer, store water bottles in there and they will help keep everything cool, plus towards the end you will have water to drink. Or if no freezer, just put frozen in from home.

To JoLin's point yes try to select the best slip; our was actually blocked by other docks slips so I was lucky there but I watch even experience boaters deal whit wind and its tough.

Lastly it was all the systems. Sink, micro, fridge, toilet, shower, second and third sink, icee maker, etc. I'm back to a sink and portapotty on one (we never use either) and nothing on our little boat. I like it that way.

otherwise - enjoy.

Last edited:

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Winterizing the boat was a big change when i went from a cuddy to a cruiser.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Going from a 47 to a 147 gallon tank with fuel at $4.25 then burning it in a weekend

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
WOW, really good info/advice.
I just figured I would need a genny for overnite stays. If I anchor out, what will I use to pwr everything? The only experience I have with bigger boats are the onesvI work on 42'-92' Vikings, so they all have gennys. Just assumed it was par for the course. Understand about power management, we dont listen to the radio on the boat now, dont need/want the noise.

for engine's, not seeing to many with dual engines. I would like 2 to aassist with maneuving and a help get back, seems like I need to search a bit more.

really good stuff. Sounds like just over thinking stuff,

thanks

JoLin

Vice Admiral
If I anchor out, what will I use to pwr everything? The only experience I have with bigger boats are the onesvI work on 42'-92' Vikings, so they all have gennys. for engine's, not seeing to many with dual engines. I would like 2 to aassist with maneuving and a help get back, seems like I need to search a bit more.

really good stuff. Sounds like just over thinking stuff,

thanks

Define 'everything'. Aside from some lights and an occasional toilet flush (if electric head), what else is there? If the boat has an electric-only stove top, get a camping stove to use. If you need A/C, then yeah, you need a genny. Otherwise, a good pair of batteries on a switch will suffice. Use one to run the 'house' and keep the other in reserve to crank the engine(s).

Almost every boat up to 26' will have a single engine. 26-28, you'll see a few more duals, but still more singles. If you buy an I/O, a dual prop drive helps out by minimizing the effect of prop torque. You are overthinking some things- whether it's one engine or two, you'll learn how to use it. But, it's better to overthink at this stage. Keep asking questions.

My .02

Last edited:

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Will you be leaving it in the water? It sounded like you have a slip.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
if you get a single engine, just ad a good kicker for the 'get back' motor.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
if you get a single engine, just ad a good kicker for the 'get back' motor.

Or towing insurance w/Boat US. My Sundancer was 7 years old when I got it and in the 13 years I've owned it I have never had to deal with a dead motor. They are pretty reliable.

If you get one with a single engine don't consider anything that doesn't have a Bravo III or Volvo Dualprop. Just walk away!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
In many cases it's the shock of the cost just to maintain the boat, then add in the cost to use it. And frequently the larger boat is used less often.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I do have b a slip that the current boat is in and the next one will reside in.
I have really good insurance, uunfortunately had to use it few times already

next question which I think I know the answer....... if the boat has ac and heat, but no genny, then they can not only be run when the boat is either on shore power, or when the engines are running.

we will be needing ac, so a genny is a must?

redneckjoe mentioned getting a kicker. Would I get a temp mount for the swim platform, or woulda bracket straight on the hull? YES, I KNOW VERY NOOB QUESTIONS, BUT sobso far you guys make a lot of good sense.

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The AC runs on shore power or generator. Now I'm not exactly clear on this but some AC's are cool and heat, while others are cool only. Mine does cool and heat in the cabin. For the cockpit I have a defroster and heater that uses engine heat that is ducted to the helm and dash area. Do not expect your AC to be able to cool the cabin and the cockpit (with camper canvas of course).
A single engine is much easier to work on than twins and costs less to maintain. I have a Bravo II outdrive and am very happy with it's ferformance and reliability. There's no denying twins are far more maneuverable than singles.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
Most AC units run on either shore power or genset. They won't run off your engine is running. If you're leaving it in the water...bottom paint. Do you have a vehicle to pull a boat that size?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
bracket or swim platform is variable. Many platforms are not built to take the weight and torque, especially when using a 4 stroke. That said, dad had a 6hp on his 25' Sea Ray and used it often with no issues.

Can't see much on yours whether built in, aftermarket, and what support structure it has.

As far as the noob questions - if you don't ask only then you are making a noob mistake. Hell I've been in boats my whole life, owned 15 or so, and I still learn things here almost every time I log on.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
For a kicker, will have to figure it out when the time comes.
you are correct about noob questions. Noone has seen it all and nobody knows it all. My problem is that I know just enough to be dangerous.
when making origami, no big deal
dealing with a boat purchase....... not so much.

again many thanks.

pretty sure we know the route to go, just need to get there.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Backing these guys up on the A/C- shore power or genny only. You can't run it off the engine. A/C units come with and without heat, and there are two types of heat- reverse cycle (uses the same circulating water as the A/C) and resistance heat (an electric heating coil in the unit).

I installed my own system from scratch on Escapade, so feel free to ask me any questions you have on that subject.

My .02