New Guy from ON Canada - Sunray Questions.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the right side of the stern, outside the boat, the HIN will be stamped into the hull. The last 2 numbers will be the year of manufacture.

Nice Larson...I'm semi-considering that same boat at the moment, just a 180 I/O instead. Just curious - any issues with the hull and stress cracks or blisters anywhere at all? How is are stringers constructed under the glass floor liner?

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Still working on our SunRay, it's a 92 but as no where as nice as yours. Someone tore off all the decals and striping. It will be ready this week. There isn't much info on them out there. They were a company out of Quebec. Not sure if they are still in business. There are quite a few on Kijiji for sale. I was surprised to see they made big cruisers too. If I may ask what did you get her for? PM me if you wish.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Gotta love it - seems that there will always be something more to spend money on, no matter how great the deal is with a "new-to-you" used boat!

For me, mine will never see another day indoors after I get it. Hope that's not a bad thing. Will not be left in the water, but will sit outside on a trailer covered with boat cover all summer when not in use, then will be shrink wrapped each winter and left outdoors. But apparently that's normal?

Some guys seem to prefer outside shrinkwrapped storage because it prevents from dust and rodents?

What have you heard?

Tell me about it, lol... I'm still buying things for it... redid the winch post, locks, new boat cover (since the red one was slowly leaking).

got a fishfinder, need a trolling motor and a bimini top, then I think I'm good for a few years, lol.

Honestly I'm not too worried about it, if it won't fit in my garage it will fit my dad's, he said he'd let me keep it there if I had to so it's good, not too concerned about rodents getting in, but I will make sure the covers are on while in the garage.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Tell me about it, lol... I'm still buying things for it... redid the winch post, locks, new boat cover (since the red one was slowly leaking).

got a fishfinder, need a trolling motor and a bimini top, then I think I'm good for a few years, lol.

Honestly I'm not too worried about it, if it won't fit in my garage it will fit my dad's, he said he'd let me keep it there if I had to so it's good, not too concerned about rodents getting in, but I will make sure the covers are on while in the garage.

By the way - sorry about (unintentionally) hijacking your post with the question about the Larson...DRS rightly replied to me in another thread...but back to the Sunray, good that you have several storage options and are getting everything in order. I never even thought about having to buy stuff for the trailer too! Yikes. In my case, my worry is that I do all this stuff for my used boat in an effort to have everything all set for the water when May hits, only to find that I don't want to keep the boat past one season! No idea what to expect, since it's my first ever boat (not counting my 12ft rubber dingy powered by an electric trolling motor. Lol

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Be concerned about rodents getting in. It's amazing what they will chew. I have seen too many wiring harnesses destroyed over the winter including a year old Harley. I use both Moth balls and Irish Spring soap, I don't know if it works buy so far so good. Storing bikes, cars and boats for over 40 years.

Why have you decided to not keep the boat past 1 season, 2 footitis already?

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No I meant I'm good for buying things for a few years... but hey, you never know, I'm sure I'll want a bigger screen gps/fishfinder eventually... and guaranteed I'll want to do a stereo since it doesn't have one... I'll find more eventually. :eek:

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a couple of those kicking around, so definitely getting done on the cheap. :)

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So this is what I found about Sunray Boats from my various searches and HIN number lookup... looks like Sunray was made by a company out of the Montreal area called Princefib INC.

[FONT=&quot]The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is ZPR. This MIC (ZPR) stands for the company name Princefib Inc/sunray which is currently Out of Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (ZPR sometimes goes by these name(s) , , , or .
This company (Princefib Inc/sunray) is owned by Jean Yves Paquet and is located at 200 BLVD CARIGNAN OUEST in PRINCEVILLE state of QC. It manufactured this vessel and placed you HIN or CIN on the hull. The Parent Company for this boat maker is (). Princefib Inc/sunray has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 01/01/1977 0:00 and went out of business on (12/05/2003 0:00) in the following country: CANADA.[/FONT]

Here's the info I found on Princefib INC... got lucky and found a page by the Historic Society of Princeville, the town where Princefib was founded and had their factory for a long time before going out of business (OR being swallowed by Princecraft/Altra who makes Aluminum boats in the same town)

Lots of pictures and history there... unfortunately in french.

http://www.societehistoireprincevill...nce%20Fib).htm

Hopefully that helps some of you figure out where your boat was made. :)

Last edited:

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wow - these little boats really seem to be popular in this province...I'm seeing quite a few on kijiji. But hey, don't do too much post shopping (not that you are), and at any rate, I haven't really seen anything that looks better than what you've got, based on comparison of pictures. Can't speak to price but if you paid less than current asking - you got a deal, and if you paid more than ones currently listed - then know that yours is in better shape and you just got what what you paid for!

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks, I'm stoked to own it and hope it returns the favor at least for a few years... honestly just buying things like a trolling motor and a fish finder, nothing major. :)

pckeen

Commander
Get out and enjoy it, and add those little things that make it your own.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, I'm stoked to own it and hope it returns the favor at least for a few years... honestly just buying things like a trolling motor and a fish finder, nothing major. :)

That's awesome. I'm thinking of buying a trolling motor too, but not for fishing - as a backup motor! My motor is in great condition, but I'm a bit panicked about the unlikely chance that something goes wrong in the middle of the lake...I'd prefer not to be paddling back or have to radio in for a tow! Just not sure how well or how far even a powerful trolling motor could power a 2,200lb 18ft boat. Not even sure how I'd go about mounting it just for occasion "back-up" use...possibly not a very feasible idea.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
you'd probably need like a 10hp motor, I'm looking for electric ones first... maybe a motor with 55 or 65lbs of thrust, enough to hopefully move the boat without having to crank it or pull start it everytime. If that doesn't work as planned, then probably will go to a 6-10hp gas motor.

REN3G8

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a few car stereos kicking around, only need a marine box to install it, as I wouldn't want to cut up the dashboard to put a stereo that would die the first time it got splashed.