Concrete patio/boat tie up sagging

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
My photo wouldn't upload so here goes.
This 27 year old slab that hangs out over salt water with no support.
It is 17' wide and is cracked 7' back all the way across and will eventually break off
Can it be fixed and how?
Utube didn't help. Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
slab that hangs out over salt water with no support.

Your pic is probably to large so it won't upload. Suggest using photobucket or other like pic sharing site

Just guessing without seeing, but building a steel grid under it can save it, but it would need to be built with supports going down and into the earth. Then the grid would need to be jacked up tight against it. It needs pressure pushing up to save. My guess is it has sagged some

jbcurt00

Staff member
How much unsupported overhang does it have?

Was it originally overhanging unsupported or has erosion 'created' the overhang?

Its cracked 7ft back from the unsupported edge of the overhanging concrete or from where the concrete IS supported?

How badly displaced is the crack? Vertically (lift) and laterally (distance between 2 sides of the crack across it).

As Dodge suggested, lifting the sagging concrete and fully supporting it is likely your best choice. And expect it to continue to sag and displace further if nothing is done.

At the crack can you see any rebar? If any rebar or mesh is exposed, expect it to get worse.

25+yrs on the salt sounds near the design life of a concrete slab used for private, non-conmercial use.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... With the little info provided,....
Drive sheet pilin's along water's edge, then back-fill, 'n pump up to grade the over-slab with concrete,....

ubdee

Recruit
I am assuming there is no suitable support from underneath overhang, only sand or soil.
One way would be to drive two spuds (heavy wall pipe) into the bottom at each corner of
overhang and fabricate supports which would weld to spud and anchor to bottom of overhang.
One support from each spud back towards crack,and one from each spud towards centerline of
overhang. Additionally, spuds could support stairs, a dock, or a mooring support. In addition,
crack needs to be chipped back to solid concrete, cleaned, and filled with expending grout.
Crack may have to be bridged with sheet steel, anchored into solid concrete. Of course all
steel will have to be coated or painted. Remember, legal consequences of

Lets get some facts so we know exactly what we are dealing with:
Overall size of slab, length, width, and thickness, to estimate load..
Size of overhang, length, width and thickness, to estimate unsupported load.
Does slab contain rebar? What size?
How high is bottom of slab above high tide level?
This will help us select size of structural elements.
What is the size of the budget?

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
I contacted a dock repair business. I'll let you know.

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
The patio dock should last several more years.

The bad news is the sea wall has a horizontal crack below the davits. It may need replaced in 2-3 years.

alldodge

Staff member
Bummer, would still be nice to have pics. Without that are you or some other entity on the hook for repair?

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
I tried to use photobucket without success. This isthe one thing I never liked about the iboats forum. Too complicated. Sorry

Last edited: