VHF Radio For Lakes?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Would there be any use if I bought a portable vhf radio for our boat. We only boat on inland lakes.

Just wondering
Thanks!

Alumarine

Captain
I guess it depends on the lake and cell coverage.

The great lakes are inland lakes.

I've got a lake that's 250 miles long 50 miles from me that has very limited cell coverage.

Peter Eikenberry

Chief Petty Officer
It depends. Anywhere there is a Coast Guard unit they will monitor VHF CH 16. Most local water cops (state, county, municipal) also monitor VHF. So the best thing is ask your local marine patrol. If you do your boating on a lake that is under the Corps of Engineers, National Park Service, Forest Service etc they also monitor VHF. However. many small inland lakes are not patrolled. There you would have to depend on cell service, but you would have to find out if there is cell service available.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
The lake we are on is about 60 square miles. The cell service is pretty good actually. There are definitely Wardens but I don't k ow if they have VHF. I'm getting the feeling it would be unnecessary

southkogs

Staff member
Been discussed a number of times: We have several large impounds / lakes in the Nashville area. All of them are patrolled by at least 3 (one has - sort of - 5) different agencies operating. All are equipped with VHF, but from emergency services to the tow boats it's pretty constant they respond mostly to phone calls and rarely use the VHF.

I carry a VHF on my boat, but there's very little traffic all the times I'm monitoring it.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I currently have a hand held vhf. It works fine but the range is limited to around 5 miles, even though it says 15 miles, I can receive for 15 but no one answers back till 5. On big lakes like Superior, you should have one. I'm upgrading to a permeant mount vhf as soon as I get the winter cover off.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a small hand held iCom that i used around the bay of green bay, lake Michigan, etc. limited in range as Grub mentioned. two years ago, I upgraded to a perm mount VHF in the boat which has an 8' antenna and I can wire it to my GPS to broadcast my last known co-ordinances if needed.

I still bring the hand-held with me on the kayak as its water proof and floats. along with the hand-held GPS

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Contrary to belief, the coast guard and local emergency responders are not the first or best line of defense on the water. Your fellow boater is the best hope you have to a speedy response.

Having said that, if your in a location where nobody has radios because accidents and emergency situations are prohibited, your cell phone is a viable choice.

Can someone please post the emergency phone number to text SOS in the case of an emergency on the water?

mr 88

Commander
Would there be any use if I bought a portable vhf radio for our boat. We only boat on inland lakes.

Just wondering
Thanks!

Yes, as noted if you did have a emergency you increase your odds of a close by boater assisting you. Maybe someone is having a heart attack/bad accident and a nearby boater has a Doctor EMT,Nurse etc. on board . Or maybe you could help someone out if they needed help that you could respond to quicker than anyone else. You can never have too many back ups even with a cell. Also can be used to talk to other fishermen if your into that.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Yes, as noted if you did have a emergency you increase your odds of a close by boater assisting you. Maybe someone is having a heart attack/bad accident and a nearby boater has a Doctor EMT,Nurse etc. on board . Or maybe you could help someone out if they needed help that you could respond to quicker than anyone else. You can never have too many back ups even with a cell. Also can be used to talk to other fishermen if your into that.

Valid points. I don't know if others have them I would have to ask around.

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Contrary to belief, the coast guard and local emergency responders are not the first or best line of defense on the water. Your fellow boater is the best hope you have to a speedy response.

I believe there are some mobile phone apps that do this

southkogs

Staff member
Sad part about many of our "fellow boaters" is they struggle to quite recognize the difference between a "needy hail" and a "drunken wave." :rolleyes:

I've got a little handheld VHF as I mentioned, but part of the issue here is that the hills kill your VHF signal (it's line of sight). So, even though on open water I'd get all kinds of range - here sometimes I can't make a half a mile when I'm chatting with the tow boat guys.

It really boils down to knowing your water to know the best way to call for help. Then, it's certainly not "unwise" to learn all of the methods of communication and safety in boating.

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
I'm in California and a lot of people here have vhf. They use them on lakes, the California delta, bays and ocean. It's mostly fishermen that have them. They are used for emergencies and also for people the chit chat back and forth usually about the fishing. You can also get continuous noaa weather reports and updates.
If you are going to get one for the boat get a base model not a hand held. Hand held are great but their broadcast distance is more limited than base models. VHF operates on line of sight. The taller the antenna the farther your signal goes and the farther out you can pick up signals. I'd suggest an 8' antenna for the casual boater/fishermen. You can get a ratchet mount for it so you can have it up or lay it down when towing, storing,, going under low bridges or when ever. Most marine patrol agencies such as sheriff, coast guard etc. monitor the emergency channel 16. I have my cell phone but don't leave home with the boat without my VHF.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I had a hand held and the range was very limited here on Erie. I now have a mounted VHF and it works superbly. I can actually use it to contact the Marina about 15 miles away when the boat is in my driveway. Almost everyone I know uses VHF here on Erie. In Canada the Cdn. Coast Guard can be reached on cell phones by dialing * 16.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I believe there are some mobile phone apps that do this
Do what?

Call the coast guard or start randomly dialing phone numbers in hope of contacting a boater that is close by?

What is the average response time of the local EMS to the middle of the lake?

ronaldj

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I say that a VHF radio is necessary no matter what type of water you are in.
Cell Phones don't work when they are wet
Cell Phones don't float
Cell Phones can't give you up to date Marine weather information.
There are no Cell Phones with DSC

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Do what?

Call the coast guard or start randomly dialing phone numbers in hope of contacting a boater that is close by?

What is the average response time of the local EMS to the middle of the lake?

I wouldn't know the average response time. During the height of the season I would guess 10-15 min because there are always Wardens out. Maybe 30 -45towards end of the season

There is an app that allows you to see other boaters nearby on a map and it gives you there phone numbers(if they input it).

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I agree with other boaters being your best asset. Therefore flares are what I carried. However, if you are out alone, in big water, desolate location and all, then I'd ask around at the marina or local fire dept or other rescue equipped facility and ask for their recommendations.