Hows to remove black ?plastic? decorative covering and letters from center console

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I want to repair & reuse my old Wellcraft fiberglass CC, but it has a covering over the top and lettering on the sides. What is the easiest method for removing them to repair and paint?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Is it painted currently, or is it gelcoat (or ???) under the decals now? Or is the lettering painted on?

And what is this "covering" over the top?

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Is it painted currently, or is it gelcoat (or ???) under the decals now? Or is the lettering painted on?

And what is this "covering" over the top?

+1 either take a picture or give more info.
Depending on what it is anything from a razor blade to certain chemicals may work.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Most plastic emblems and such are held on by double sided sticky tape. I've used some heat and a putty knife to remove them from boats and vehicles.

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will take pics later this PM, but they are both glued. The top coating appears to be some pseudo leather plastic covering. The CC is gel coated.

shrew

Lieutenant
Heat and a putty knife or razor blade will work. A rubber eraser wheel is also very easy. You'll need to compound and then wax the area because the gelcoat around the decals will have faded with time and there will be a shadow where the decal and letters were.

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Pics as promised -- just a day late.

Attachments

• photo259665.jpg
    photo259665.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259667.jpg
    photo259667.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259668.jpg
    photo259668.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 0

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Lettering looks like vinyl on gelcoat. Peel up a small corner, squirt with rubbing alcohol or acetone, then peel the rest with a new plastic scraper (or if you're real careful, a razor blade), dripping the solvent onto the adhesive every so often. Should be cake. A little heat first from a heat gun or hair dryer may help, as someone mentioned.

As for that top "covering," heaven knows what it is or what it is adhered with...I'd maybe start by making some shallow slashes with a razor blade or pokes with a wallpaper scoring tool and soaking with rubbing alcohol just to see if it dissolves whatever adhesive was used?

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ajgraz, thanks! I work3d on it a little yesterday and the top is able to get a putty knife under ~1/4 of the total. So going slowly with your suggestions seems to be the ticket. Then I can get down to fixing the life time and variety of holes.

blackd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update and closeout of this thread: I used the heat gun method and in just a few minutes (< 1hour) had all the lettering and covering off. Liberal use of acetone got the remaining glue(s) off. I still need to do some sanding to finalize the cleaning, but this will wait until I am ready to start the hole filling/repair. The whole cleaning process took only ~2 hours.

The center console now sits completely srtipped of all hardware, with the large holes loosely fit with plywood inserts for final filling/repair. Materials are on order and should be here next week, so the grinding/cleaning can begin. With warmer weather the filling/fiberglassing and painting can occur.

I will close this thread and start a new one showing the entire Weldbilt 2070 build. That beautiful plain empty canvas of a hull is sitting in the backyard just begging to be upgraded. The upgrade is planned to be floor, re-use center console, re-hang 120 Force, fuel tank(s), steering, wiring and lights.