Bottom paint help please!!!

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all, I am looking for some help here with bottom paint. I currently have west marine cpp antifouling paint on the boat from last season and did 3 coats as recommended. This season I am changing paints and decided to go with interlux micron 66 which I hear is one of the best for saltwater. My question is if the 2 paints are compatible. Can I just sand a little and paint on top of the cpp with the micron 66? I would imagine that there is like 1 or 2 coats of paint left since it is a self polishing paint so there should be minimum sanding to reach the barrier coat. I am having a hard time figuring out. I also have 5 coats of barrier epoxy coat on the bare gelcoat. Please help , thank you !

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
I think your going to need to sand down farter, but to make sure you do it right, I strongly suggest calling Interlux and ask

800-468-7589
iyp.us@akzonobel.com

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/diy/co...s/default.aspx

My main concern is that if it is a tbt paint then I will need to first do a coat of primocon on top of the old paint then do the micron 66 and would much rather not do that if not needed. From my understanding tbt was banned and no longer used in paint but on the west marine site it has no information about it being a tbt .

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee Isn't CPP ablative, multi-season paint? if so, three coats of CPP should last 2 years.

In any case, I expect the two paints to be compatible. See if you can find out who made the CPP for West marine and provide that to the Micron manufacturer, to be sure.

shrew

Lieutenant
My main concern is that if it is a tbt paint then I will need to .....

You already used West Marine CPP. Tributyltin (TBT) has been banned since the 1980's. TBT is a non-issue. The best resource is the manufacturer of the paint you are applying.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Gee Isn't CPP ablative, multi-season paint? if so, three coats of CPP should last 2 years.

In any case, I expect the two paints to be compatible. See if you can find out who made the CPP for West marine and provide that to the Micron manufacturer, to be sure.

west marine says that 2-3 coats needs to be done every season. And many people say that cpp is interlux paint. My only other question is that cpp is ablative and micron 66 is not but they advertise the paint to do the same thing that ablative does. weird huh ?

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
You already used West Marine CPP. Tributyltin (TBT) has been banned since the 1980's. TBT is a non-issue. The best resource is the manufacturer of the paint you are applying.

yeah i figured the same. lost new paints do not have tbt , I know that micron 66 can be painted over any old bottom paint but the only difference is that some paints require you to do a coat of primocon before adding micron 66 and i just cant afford to keep buying more paint after purchasing micron 66. It will run me near 600 bucks just for the micron to do the proper amount of coats for my size boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I have successfully used CPP for years. I get 2 years out of every 2 coats of paint, with yearly touch-ups to the transom and sides. Why do you want to use something else?

If the Micron needs a primer under it, you may have an issue. I do not think putting a primer over an ablative or other soft paint will work. You would probably need to strip the boat. I would check the primer label closely.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Gee, I have successfully used CPP for years. I get 2 years out of every 2 coats of paint, with yearly touch-ups to the transom and sides. Why do you want to use something else?

If the Micron needs a primer under it, you may have an issue. I do not think putting a primer over an ablative or other soft paint will work. You would probably need to strip the boat. I would check the primer label closely.

I just got off the phone with interlux , they said that i will need to add a coat of primocon on top of the current paint the CPP in order to get a good bond to the micron 66. I did not have good luck with the CPP , had slime on the bottom within 3 months of the boat sitting in the water and i use the boat every weekend. Also the finish on the paint is not great. Too sand paper like. Micron 66 has a smooth finish and is used on speed boats. I have only heard good things about micron 66 for saltwater and can last up to 3 years. West marine says that you should add 2 coats every season with CPP for best performance.

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
My only other concern is the trilux 33 paint that I am using on my outdrive. Like an idiot I did not read the directions for it and recoated as soon as it was dry to the touch instead of waiting the 6 hours between coats like in the directions. What should I expect to happen now ? It seems pretty good and the paint is not sticking to anything when I lay the drive down on the floor. I am painting indoors in a heated garage. The paint drys to the touch pretty quick . About 30 min and it's dry to the touch. Any input ? Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Unable to say for sure, but if it was only 2 coats you may be just fine, if more then that it may not dry clear thru. I would go back to Interlux and ask

BigDog98

Chief Petty Officer
Unable to say for sure, but if it was only 2 coats you may be just fine, if more then that it may not dry clear thru. I would go back to Interlux and ask

These are the steps that I followed, First I sanded down all the old paint but left a little on so the primocon can stick on better, after sanding I treated the drive with alumiprep and alodine. Next I did about 4 coats of primocon but not 4 coats in a row, I would do 2 coats one day and 2 another day. The first 2 coats I did outside and it would dry to the touch in about an hour and that is when I did the second coat, the next 2 coats I did inside my house and it took about 3 hours or so to dry before I did another coat. Then I did about 3 coats of phantom black outdrive paint and instructions said that I can spray as soon as dry to the touch. As soon as I did the 3 coats I would do 2 very thin coats of primocon on top of the phantom black and as soon as it was dry to the touch I would apply the trilux 33 bottom paint and I did about 3-4 coats. Again the first 2 or 3 coats I did the same day as soon as it was dry to the touch and then next 2 coats or so I did the next day. So far I have done the lower unit in this process and it seems to be good and not sticking. Hard and dry as a rock in my opinion.