Help me identify this boat and jet pump. What happened to the brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So from my research there was this mini jetboat craze in the early 90's just as Bombardier had started bringing their ski's to market beginning in 1988. I have a neighbor who is trying to find parts and or information on this SOS Express jet boat of his. All I can tell is that it is from 1990, it's powered by a 3 cylinder Yamaha that normally would have been an outboard, and the jet pump has "Morita" cast into it. I know that Funjet was another competitor around that time but they used Suzuki powered craft that were closely related to the WetBike design of the time.

Here is what I have discovered so far. Morita is a Japanese conglomerate that is still in business today. They make a ton of dentistry related tools and equipment. Another branch of Morita makes and/or converts standard truck chassis into firetrucks. They also make fire fighting equipment. I found on the link below that Morita states that they went into the Marine business in 1990. What I CAN'T find is whatever happened to them. Was the marine business sold off? Did they have any patents or designs worth something to a competitor. Did they just close their doors completely?

http://www.morita119.com/museum/en_index.html

1990-02_zpspbslssh2.png

Caption says: "Developed small size jet boat "Eagle One" mounted with new model jet pump and entered into Marine business field"

And in like fashion, what happened to SOS or their parent company Tide Rider?

Can someone give me any information? I know other people have been looking for parts for their pump. In this case, my neighbor says it needs a wear ring. I have not inspected it any further than the pictures I have posted.

TGO Status:InactiveCompany:TIDE RIDER USA INC Company Official:HEWISON, TREVORParent Company:SPORTS HOLDING INC Parent MIC:JTAPrevious Company 1:SOS EXPRESS Previous Company 2:P & D CLASSICS Previous Company 3:SOS MARINE MANUF Previous Company 4:SPORTS MOLDING INC Address:6712 N 54TH STREET City:TAMPAState:FL Zip:33610Country: Phone:8136260175Fax: In Business:12/8/1988Out of Business:12/10/1991 Date Modified:11/20/1991Type:Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats
Personal Watercraft
Addtional Address:SEE JET BREEZE

SOSBoats_zpszpottqyr.jpg

MoritaJetPump1_zpsxdgdtchm.jpg

MoritaJetPump2_zpsilia2ise.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Did you read the MIC info you posted?

Says that the parent company of all the previous business names listed was JTA, and for additional info see Jet Breeze, which is what the MIC JTA is now assigned too.

JetBreeze started at about the same time, TGO (TideSports) was listed as no longer in business. And in 1994 JTA also became listed as no longer in business.

Dig thru ALL the listed business MICs and see if there are any names connected to the info on any of them. Start there and see what you can dig up.

Google Morita with all the company names and see what comes up.

After numerous business names, start up and closure, I'd bet it simply closed, unable to make enough money, many times, to remain open. At least in the US.

Did you email the museum? That would probably have been my 1st move.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did you read the MIC info you posted?

Says that the parent company of all the previous business names listed was JTA, and for additional info see Jet Breeze, which is what the MIC JTA is now assigned too.

JetBreeze started at about the same time, TGO (TideSports) was listed as no longer in business. And in 1994 JTA also became listed as no longer in business.

Dig thru ALL the listed business MICs and see if there are any names connected to the info on any of them. Start there and see what you can dig up.

Google Morita with all the company names and see what comes up.

After numerous business names, start up and closure, I'd bet it simply closed, unable to make enough money, many times, to remain open. At least in the US.

Did you email the museum? That would probably have been my 1st move.

Yup, I did read the MIC until the trail dead-ended. Google "Morita?" Did you really ask that? No disrespect sir, but Google got me this far and that was really hunting down leads and cross-checking information.

I have emailed the museum. Now it's just the waiting game.

I only posted on here hoping someone may have had some personal experience with the brand or manufacturer around that time in Tampa.

Copter8

Recruit
Any update on this? I actually have one of these SOS Express boats, jet drive. It's at the mechanics now and I need information about how the drive shaft comes apart from the impeller shaft.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.