Price varies.....

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I like to surf CL, and other domains just looking at boats.
Not really looking to buy, but who knows. My current boat serves its purpose, but life changes.....
I noticed that boats really can vary in price, as exampled, a Grady-White on the west coast seems to demand a premium because of its reputation, but I see them for a substantial lot less money on the upper east coast.
Is this just because supply and demand?

Can anyone here share any experience with having bought a boat from the opposite coast, having it shipped, etc, how did that go?
Trying to gather an understanding if its better to stay local, and use that money to buy a boat, as opposed to a "good deal" and then paying to have shipped, or pulling it across the states, etc.

Again, I am not really in the market, tho boating is sort of an illness, and we often do strange things when we are sick......LOL.
However, I retire next year, and I can see a possibility of needing "more boat" to accommodate this new leisure, just saying.......thanks

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
I recently had a 17' center console towed across the country from DE to CA. Hired thru Uship, cost IIRC about $2700 including all insurances, took the guy about 3 days in transit. I was very happy with the experience.

That said, this was my Dad's boat he'd had a few years so I already knew it well (we had had it on the Chesapeake just a few months before). I could not imagine buying a used (or even brand new) boat sight unseen from any distance.

There is some supply and demand, local price variation, etc. Back east, this vessel/motor/trailer is worth $10-12k on a good day. Out here, no way am I getting it for less than $18-20k. So if you do see something you like in another state and you have the time, flying out to sea trial it and planning to ship it could make sense.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I drove from Green Bay Wisconsin to St Loius Missouri to pick uo my Sea Ray because it saved me over 5k vs what I found locally.

I travel often, and see price variations for boats, cars, clothes, etc. As locallity changes, so does the prices that the market will bare.

As far as boats on East Coast vs West Coast. The water is rougher and the seasons harder on the East coast vs the West based on my experience.

Make sure your not comparing a oampered boat on the west vs one that was used hard and put away wet from the east.

Remember, over brand, price, etc....,condition is king

jkust

Rear Admiral
It is actually amazing the price differences on the very same item in different regions of the county. My current boat which I just bought last spring locally could have easily been a five year newer model of the same boat or substantially cheaper if purchased from any state in the south or out west from my state of MN.
Even dealer service here costs a lot more than in the south. I can get the same car for at least a third less and have it shipped which is what I have done my last several vehicles. I can pay a thousand dollars to ship it from the farthest state away and still save enouth money to buy a whole other car.
I've know many transplants from the south learn this the hard way when their lifestyle here is substantially less versus what they had say in texas or arizona and they didn't negotiate a salary to account for the much higher cost of living.
As for new boats, I once tried to buy a new boat at the southern new boat dealer prices here in MN and the advertised price was so dramatically cheaper at every dealer down south the MN dealer wouldn't come close to the price. They would only say that every add from every other dealer was fraudulent pricing. It should only be the difference in shipping a boat made in Georgia for example from that southern state and instead to MN but that is now how it works in reality.
It is one reason I like Ebay Motors.

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, getting to look at the boat first is a problem.....

HEY.....I got an idea.
Maybe Iboats could enlist folks around the states to be like an agent. A boat comes up on someones list, that they might be interested in, they could pay a fee/cost, to Iboats, to have someone give a look....then report their opinion.
Not a legal or binding survey, just a more buddy to buddy type of thing.

Well?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

HEY.....I got an idea.
Maybe Iboats could enlist folks around the states to be like an agent. A boat comes up on someones list, that they might be interested in, they could pay a fee/cost, to Iboats, to have someone give a look....then report their opinion.

Well?

​I think that would work, But I'd be looking at a boat the way I see it, and what purpose I'd use it for. The first thing I always look at is mechanical issues, then move on to condition pf the hull/transom stringers, then electrical and systems. All things I can repair myself.

jbcurt00

Staff member
:facepalm:

Nope, not likely Ed

Not even remotely likely

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

HEY.....I got an idea.

Well?

You don't need iBoats for this. It happens now when members look at boats for sale for other members.

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, I can see where it could come back to haunt the site..... I get that.
Kinda of a bummer that life has got to the point of getting even, is better than getting along, not that I am charging Iboats with that claim.

Did I miss a boat for sale, board?

roffey

Commander
I think the only way remotely possible would be to make the contact in Iboats and discuss all the details via email or some other means that does not involve Iboats. Personally, to look at a boat for some one else would have to be a free thing. If you don't like how I appraised your boat I'll give you your money back, LOL.