A glimps of a 'former life' working at Rhode Islands Marine Services / early 1980's

Ned L

Commander
Not sure if this is where this belongs or not, but considering it was building and repair work I though I'd put it here (It can be moved if the mods think better).

I though there might be some interest in seeing some of the stuff that went on in a small southern New England shipyard where I worked in the early 1980's.

ry%3D400

"First Light" was an Eastern rigged dragger we built for a fisherman out of Pt Judith R.I. I did a good bit of the wiring and piping as well as installing all the windows aboard here. She was about 85 feet. to ballast her we poured 11 yards of concrete in her fish hold. She was a well known boat for at least a couple of decades.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

"Mystic Whaler" was (and still is) a 'tourist boat' that takes summer tourists for day sailing trips from Mystic CT out into Fisher's Island sound. She is of welded steel construction, and was in for her annual 'shave and a haircut' (bottom cleaning, new zincs, bottom paint and inspection).

ry%3D400

"Whalesong" was a 45ft Dutch built mid-cockpit ketch that the wanted to have a 'wheelhouse - dodger' added to for dryer sailing in sloppy weather.

ry%3D400

All the coachroof beams were glued up laminated mahogany.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We laid a layer of Formica on the beams before laying the plywood on top. We also varnished the beams before laying the Formica, so once the Formica was laid all the internal finish work was completed.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

As a side business the yard built these little custom built 20 ft reproduction fan tail launches. They were available with gas (Easthope engine), electric or steam power. When an order was received, a hull would be laid up (somewhere in Maine), and sent to R.I. as a bare hull with the two bulkheads glassed in place. I was in charge of building them from that point on, and installed whatever power plant was requested.

ry%3D400

This was an electric one. For these, I went to a golf cart dealer in Providence R.I. and selected the best looking 'junk' used electric golf carts and arranged to have them delivered to the ship yard. I would then strip the motors and controllers out and convert / install them in the launch. They actually turned out pretty nicely.

ry%3D400

This one is having a vintage one cylinder Easthope engine installed.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It was interesting working there, and certainly a fair amount of 'grunt work'. Everything from mucking out fuel tanks to laying on your back, sandblasting the bottom of a fishing boat in the middle of 90 deg. July while dressed in what looks just about like a deep sea diving suite, . (The sandblast hopper held 600 pounds of blast media, and that would last only about 10 - 15 minutes.) The carpenter shop - where I mostly worked - had the only heat in the place. That was a couple of steel 55 gal oil drums we converted into a wood stove. - That made the carpenter shop a popular place for breaks and lunch in the middle of the winter.
Fitting diesel fuel piping in an engine room one day and varnishing mahogany the next. Some varied work.

Last edited:

eddie haskell

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That is very cool.....
I have a question about using concrete as a ballast. What about the lime, isn't that corrosive in nature?

Ned L

Commander
Ahh, ..... redirected, ..... Thank you.

Concrete as ballast was an every day occurrence in wooden work boats (sail and power). There, typically the wood under the concrete was found to in very good condition (almost preserved) The practice naturally followed over as boats were built of steel. Typically you would paint the bilges thoroughly prior to pouring the concrete, so there is reasonable protection between the two. That and you figure the working life of a commercial boat is often not much more than about 20 years, there are lots of other things that go first.

That reminds me of a 'southern scalloper' that that came in to have some plating in bottom, under the lazarette replaced. the boat was pulled, the welders climbed aboard, took their cutting torches down in the lazarette and began cutting steel plating out of her bottom. The got about 3 1/2 sides of the square of steel plating cut our and the piece fell to the ground. When the boat was built a decade or so earlier they never finished welding that one seam! :O

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Easy to see where you picked up the skills to renovate the current project, Ned.

The launches are beyond cool! What was used for the steamers? Steam whistle? Toot Toot. :smile:

aspeck

Staff member
Mystic Whaler ... I remember that vessel from around that time!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Very cool Ned ! I know work is work but it seems that you did enough different jobs there to make it interesting ...

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you for sharing your expertise with us. Looks like some cool builds

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
As a retired cabinet maker, I admire the craftsmanship on your boats. One of the best posts on i-boats. Thanks for sharing. Dave-R

shrew

Lieutenant
I've been boating in Fisher's Island Sound for 10 years. I see the Mystic Whaler all the time.

Ned L

Commander
Thanks. ......... There were some interesting times there. At one point there was about a 45ft offshore lobster boat that was just being finished up. The boat had been launched and the finish topside painting was being done by the painting crew. That afternoon the yard foreman came to me and asked if I could stay late and at 5:00 when my regular work was done, go down and help finish painting the superstructure. I said 'sure'. ....... 5:00 came, everyone took off except for me and the couple of guys doing the painting. I went down to the boat, climbed aboard and asked what I can do. One of the guys said they were just about finished with the first gallon of white paint and I can open and mix the second gallon and start painting. So I started to do that........... I took the second gallon, opened it up, looked inside and called out "hold on guys!!!", as I stared down into a gallon of clear liquid........................ It was a two part epoxy paint and they hadn't read the label, they were painting with one half of the two part paint. lol....... I showed them, put the lid back on, and said we can go home now. .... The next day they were down there scrubbing it off with detergent and scrub brushes!

Ned L

Commander
That job wasn't the beginning of my working on boats (especially wood boats). My senior year in high school I was given an old basket case of a 16ft Jersey speed skiff.

I started with this.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

and ..........

ry%3D400

turned it ..................

ry%3D400

into this ...............

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I still have her 40 yrs later.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ned - Who's yer boatin' buddy? LOL

buddy.PNG

You started young and I'm not sure if you improved over the years. :wink: Darned good job just like today. :thumb:

Ned L

Commander
Lol,......... He was my 'riding mechanic'. I used to get some good laughs with him. If you google "Jersey speed skiff", you will see that today many of them are competitive APBA raceboats, and two people are required. Lol.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Amazing! What an awesome experience those days must have been. Certainly honed your boat building skills that's for sure!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I built my first boat (14') around my senior year in high school (Oak framing, Mahogany ply wood, outboard). Twas nothing to compare to your "masterpiece".