Bay fishing in a boat this size?

Acton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Figured I'd make this topic just out of curiosity. I'll soon be the owner of a 14ft smoker craft with a 25 HP Johnson. It's got a 5' 3" beam. I usually make 2-3 trips down to wildwood nj during the summer and I've rented out some carolina skiffs that aren't to bigger then my soon to be aluminum smoker craft. The thing about those boats is that they're fiberglass, but they've only got 9.9s on em.

I've only ever fished fresh water lakes around where I live in the hudson valley, but I'd be curious to know what you guys think about back bay fishing out of something like what I've got. Is it completely crazy? I've seen guys out in the bay on kayaks. If I watch the weather will I be fine? If so I'd love to hear of some interesting spots on the jersey shore I could potentially take this kind of set up too. Obviously I'd like to start out easy and go from there. I figure fluke fishing and crabbing out of my own boat would be a blast. If it's completely crazy though let me know! :D

Edit: I attached a picture of the boat.

Attachments

• l_img_2152.jpg
    l_img_2152.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a SmokerCraft Alaskan.....I had one back in the early 80's with a 15hp RUDE. I fished inshore Lake Superior, Big and Little Bay De Noc on Lake Michigan with it. As always watch the weather and sea conditions and you will be fine.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
That'll be fine for the back bays. We took an even smaller 14' to Ocean City, MD this past summer and ran all around the Assawoman bay with it.

Acton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That'll be fine for the back bays. We took an even smaller 14' to Ocean City, MD this past summer and ran all around the Assawoman bay with it.

I took a look at google maps and Assawoman bay is just the kind of place I'd love to take it too. My in laws actually go down to assateague every summer and I was considering taking it to chincoteague bay.

I've never traveled with my boat before other then to take it camping up in the ADKs with. Up there it's as simple as leaving the trailer and boat on my campsite during the evening after I'm done on the water. If I was to take a weekend trip say down to wildwood, would it be possible to leave the boat and trailer at a marina overnight while I stay at a hotel? What kind of arrangements do you guys usually make as to where to leave the boat when staying at a hotel?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
What kind of arrangements do you guys usually make as to where to leave the boat when staying at a hotel?

Ocean city has a municipal parking lot with a lot just for boats/trailers. We use it every year. It's fairly expensive but it's so worth it to have the boat there for a week. We've been renting places on the bay side with boat slips for the past 10 years of so. Love it! This is where we'll be again this year. My Starcraft is in the lower left

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would find a 13-15' Whaler!
I am not a big fan of boats without a splashwell in the ocean..... One good wave or large wake and it will go down before you can blink.... Old 1960's - 1975ish whalers go for short $$ and are great boats.... I have owned many aluminum's from 12-17' and they just don't compare.... Don't get me wrong, they are great boats but weight is king when the bay kicks up! Also the stability in a whaler when crabbing is great! You can stand on the gunnel and it will be stable....

Acton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I would find a 13-15' Whaler!
I am not a big fan of boats without a splashwell in the ocean..... One good wave or large wake and it will go down before you can blink.... Old 1960's - 1975ish whalers go for short $$ and are great boats.... I have owned many aluminum's from 12-17' and they just don't compare.... Don't get me wrong, they are great boats but weight is king when the bay kicks up! Also the stability in a whaler when crabbing is great! You can stand on the gunnel and it will be stable....

I'll only be fishing out of the salt 1-3 times a year. I'm not buying this boat as a dedicated salt water fishing craft, it's mostly for fresh water fishing to be honest. Sounds like in your opinion I might be better off renting a carolina skiff then bringing my aluminum boat down. Those carolina skiffs that I usually rent down in wildwood only have 9.9s on em and don't get around too quick. They're 17' though and a little more stable. I have to pay $155 to rent em for a full day, and I'll also be going to assateague this summer too and I dont think they have rentals there. I know I've seen people with kayaks on the water in the bay at both spots though, so I figured on a good day I might be okay in my boat. I do want second opinions though!

I attached a picture of the skiffs I usually rent.

Attachments

• 206112-skiffsedit.jpg
    206112-skiffsedit.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
By all means that boat will work well for what u want to do. If u stay at a hotel they should let u keep it there also. May need to call around, I've done that . Just make sure you have the right safety gear lifejackets, horn or whistle,handheld vhf, oh and take the safety course online.

Maranvin

Seaman Apprentice
That boat will work well for what you want to do with it. Just get the correct safety gear. Lifejackets, horn or whistle, handheld vhf oh and take the safety course online. I think it's a requirement for boats over 13'

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I think your boatsmanship is more important than the actual boat. I have been in pretty big water with a small boat and have had no problems. Knowing your weather, water, and boat's abilities are of the utmost importance. Good Luck, have fun.

southkogs

Staff member
As someone who does a little SAR work here and there: VHF and a PLB or EPIRB are excellent recommendations for out on big water. Hopefully, ya' never need 'em but sometimes stuff sneaks up on you. The right gear helps make the headlines happier ;)

Acton

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That boat will work well for what you want to do with it. Just get the correct safety gear. Lifejackets, horn or whistle, handheld vhf oh and take the safety course online. I think it's a requirement for boats over 13'

Yeah sounds like good advice to me. I'm actually halfway through that online course now. I bought a VHF/UHF radio last year but couldn't figure out what frequencies to tune into that matched the channels on a VHF only radio. Any advice on that? I might just buy myself a regular marine VHF handheld radio that has the frequencies programed into channels even though those are a lot more expensive.

I think your boatsmanship is more important than the actual boat. I have been in pretty big water with a small boat and have had no problems. Knowing your weather, water, and boat's abilities are of the utmost importance. Good Luck, have fun.

Yeah reading the water on the salt will be a new experience for me. Obviously I'll be keeping an eye out on the weather through the national weather channel on VHF and I'll be keeping an eye on the tide charts. Any other advice? Thanks!

As someone who does a little SAR work here and there: VHF and a PLB or EPIRB are excellent recommendations for out on big water. Hopefully, ya' never need 'em but sometimes stuff sneaks up on you. The right gear helps make the headlines happier ;)

SAR, PLB or EPIRB? What do they stand for? I'm new to all of this, but it sounds like your pretty knowledgeable. I definitely dont want to make the news though, thats something I DO know. =P

southkogs

Staff member
SAR = search and rescue (I'm more on the search side). PLB = Personal Locator Beacon and EPIRB = Emergency Position Indicating Radiobeacon.

In the event that something does happen when you're out on big water (and really anywhere), PLBs and EPIRBs will (similarly to each other) transmit a radio signal on a frequency that is monitored 24/7. Rescue teams can at times be on their way before anyone even knows you're not back when you're supposed to be. PLB is cheaper, but either are inexpensive if something happens.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
"......any other advice?" Let common sense be your guide. If it seems risky it probably is. Good to let someone know where you are going and when to expect you back.