Best way to clean silicone on boat

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2004 Hurricane SD187. The boat has a silicone bead around it near the rub rail. I want to clean it but don't want to use something that could compromise the seal of the silicone and I don't want to replace it. Any suggestions? I tried soap and water and a soft toothbrush but didn't do much.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Some pics of what the area looks like would help, What you are calling silicone could be something different.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Shower cleaner and a stiff brush works about as well as anything.

I ended cutting it out with a single edge razor blade and rechaulked

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
cleaning the silicone itself or cleaning off (remving)?

cleaning - silicone - the real 100% stuff - shouldn't get 'dirty'. My guess is you have something else.

Pics please.

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here's a photo. I really don't want to strip it and reseal.

Attachments

• photo259353.JPG
    photo259353.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
ssorry really can't see much form that pic. Is it white and 'siliconey' or 'caulky'

GMTK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
White, but a little dirty. Probably the original silicone. Will try to get a close up this weekend.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i have some 4200 i used in an exposed location, and it has grey stains in it. I live with it. White silicone should not stain afaik

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think Joe's on the right track... I would imagine it's a polyurethane product, like 3M 4200 or 5200, rather than silicone. In any case, I'd try a 1:10 bleach to water solution, let it sit for a while, then go at it with a soft brush.

A shower cleaner or toilet bowl cleaner may also work, but you need to be careful, because some of them don't play well with metal and you may end up etching that metal strip.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Most of my previous boats had the sealant around the rub rails coming loose. It typically is silicone. Sometimes white or clear. Just cut out the loose stuff and reseal. You can use a razor if your careful. But a sharp plastic scraper might work better. If you are not good with a caulking gun, I would tape off the area... parallel to the rub rail, on both sides, so you have a clean edge when you are done. You can redo as much or as little as you want. It's a pain, but I would redo the entire thing. Good luck!