RandallCraft Drywell Conversion

cpar87

Recruit
Hello everyone, new to these forums but seems like a great place for advice. I recently purchased an older 14.5 foot semi-V RandallCraft fiberglass skiff. It has a skinny storage drywell running along one side about halfway to the bow that I'd like to convert into a livewell to hold bass (5 at most, I'll be using to bass fish skinny water off the river in tournaments). I've never had to do a conversion/installation like this and was wondering what the cheapest and easiest method would be to fill the box with water, aerate it appropriately, and drain it when trailered.

I started looking through some options online, but want to be absolutely sure I'm correct on how to install before I start drilling any holes in my hull. Any advice you guys have would be great.

alldodge

Staff member
Hello everyone, new to these forums but seems like a great place for advice. I recently purchased an older 14.5 foot semi-V RandallCraft fiberglass skiff. It has a skinny storage drywell running along one side about halfway to the bow that I'd like to convert into a livewell to hold bass (5 at most, I'll be using to bass fish skinny water off the river in tournaments). I've never had to do a conversion/installation like this and was wondering what the cheapest and easiest method would be to fill the box with water, aerate it appropriately, and drain it when trailered.

I started looking through some options online, but want to be absolutely sure I'm correct on how to install before I start drilling any holes in my hull. Any advice you guys have would be great.

Howdy

Pics would help us see what you have, but your saying the place is on one side of your 14.5ft boat. Adding water to one side of a small boat like that makes me think its going cause it to list to that side.

cpar87

Recruit
That was one of my concerns as well. I'll upload pictures Friday when I'm home and see what you guys think. I guess I could build one to go in the back against the transom, just not familiar working with fiberglass.

alldodge

Staff member
In most cases it works best in the middle center of the boat. I grew up with a 15 ft aluminum V, and it had a self filling live well in the center seat. Had a 1 inch hole in the bottom which filled it

jbcurt00

Staff member
Google

Free surface effect

A long skinny livewell along 1 side of the boat isnt ideal for numerous reasons, free water effect and the weight are just 2.

Isnt the purpose of a livewell to keep what ya put in it alive?

5 tournament bass in a long skinny well doesnt sound feasible w out a great deal of water flow.