Applying Antifouling bottom paint for the first time

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,

I am getting prepared to paint my boat with anti-fouling paint for the first time and want to make sure I'm doing everything correct. Boat is an 18' 2004 Maxum SR3 1800. I will be keeping it at a slip in the bay this year instead of towing. Current paint is factory paint that it came with that is in great condition, it has never been painted that I know of and primarily been used in ponds up till last year. I am planning on using Interlux Micron CSC. Do I need a primer as well, or can I just lightly sand the current finish to remove gloss coat and then put the bottom pain on. Also, reading that I should only need 2 quarts of Micron paint for coverage on an 18' boat...is that pretty accurate or am I better off just grabbing a gallon?

Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Been using Mircon CSC for years on my Formula, it works very well. You should read this which explains how to prepare the hull. You need to use Interprotect e2000 prior to coating with CSC. The CSC is an ablative paint and therefore milks away over time. Every so many years (3 to 7, depends where your at) the bottom will need to be stripped and repainted.

http://www.yachtpaint.com/LiteratureCentre/interprotect-tb-usa-eng.pdf

I'm having all my bottom paint taken off this season and painting with epoxy. Reason being, is it is a real pain in the backside to have to repaint. So I decided to buy a boat lift. The used boat lift cost more then the paint, but after to repainting's, the lift cost less

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You will want to use an epoxy barrier paint as a primer. It will seal the hull and give the A-F paint something to stick to. If you do not prime, the A-F paint can fall off in chunks. You have probably seen boats with this issue.

The barrier coat will take several coats, and cure time is dependent on temperature. In the spring here in the northeast, 1 coat every morning before work is the recommended schedule, as it takes 24 hours to cure at mid-40s temps. 2 coats of A-F paint over the primer should give 2 years of service. 1 coat every other year after that, with yearly touch-ups along the waterline and transom.

Light sanding of the hull is a real good idea as well. However, there are probably solvents you can wipe on the hull that will dewax it as well as sanding.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Awesome...thank you for the replies gents. So any thoughts to the coverage area...think I am better off going with a gallon vs a couple of quarts they recommend? Same with the primer...better off just buying a gallon?

alldodge

Staff member
I would get the gallon, so you can add more coats if needed, but that's just me. Keep it in a fridge so it will last longer.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It will be cheaper to buy the gallon. You will need nearly 2 qts of paint for 2 coats, so the gallon will last for two full paintings plus yearly touchups.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Perfect. Gallons it is. Looks like they have a $20 rebate on the Micron, so that will help.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Is there any issue using grey primer and then white AF? The boat is currently white, so would like to keep that way, but figure if I use grey primer, I can see where it's going over the current white for proper coverage, and then back to white again as I apply AF. Just don't want the darker primer to show through once I paint white again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I doubt the darker primer will show thru the white AF, until the AF paint is depleted

I would verify that the white AF paint will protect your boat in the water you will use it. The white AF can be wimpy.

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Ah damn...really? Color actually makes a difference? I was hoping to match the boat colors and not have to change the appearance of the boat. The other colors are going to look weird on it I would think. Any idea where I would go to verify color compatibility?

alldodge

Staff member
Check with (call, or email) the manufacture of the paint you plan to use, they will be able to advise of any and all issues

viper1216

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks...email already placed and they emailed back asking for contact info

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds like they want to discuss, so give them the info or call them during hours of operation