First time buyer looking at a 1988 Renken 21' cuddy cabin w/ merc 3.0

southkogs

Staff member
I thought the 165 is a straight six? Isn't the 470 170HP?
Confused me too, but it appears they had a 165 that was an 4 cylinder too a later model. Don't know much about it, but I did find several posts on 'em.

Spence340

Seaman Apprentice
It's funny because I was staring right at the motor and left that day thinking it was a six because of everything I saw on the 165. Luckily the guy was honest and corrected me on a text later that night. Still can't believe I was looking at the distributor and didn't register 4 cylinder.

Spence340

Seaman Apprentice
Coming close to putting a deposit on a 1984 Wellcraft 230 aft cabin with a single 5.0 merc. engine.

Spence340

Seaman Apprentice
Looked at a 1990 Sea Ray DA today that was partially submerged and totaled by the insurance company. It has been out of the water since September when the boat yard rescued it and there is some mold on the cuddy fabric ceiling. The engine was started immediately after recovery and then winterized. There asking short money but is this a complete disaster in the making? Wiring problems, mold, rot etc. or can boats take a bath and recover?

southkogs

Staff member
... or can boats take a bath and recover?
They can, but a purchase like that IMHO would be a project boat. If you're a first time owner, I would suggest you're probably heading for some trouble you're not expecting. Someone skilled in restoring / recovering boats might take it on, but they'd have the savvy to calculate their risk on the front end. If you see what I mean.

jkust

Rear Admiral
I'm getting the sense that you are ok with a project and that you have time to spend rehabbing and are ok rehabbing instead of boating for some unknown period of time. I say go for it and get partially submerged, salvage boat and make it your own.

Spence340

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, come to think of it I guess I am ok with a project boat but the reality is my wife is not so I think I will pass on this one.

Spence340

Seaman Apprentice
Still looking, may have missed a good deal on a 1990 Wellcraft but couldn't be sure I could register the trailer without a title. I'm now looking at a 1990 Galaxy 225 cuddy cabin. Looks in good shape and it's listed as "excellent" on craigslist, we'll see. It looks to be a strange model though and after extensive internet searching I can find nothing like it anywhere. It says 225 WEX on the side of the boat where other boats I have seen say 225 weekender on the side spelled out. This boat has the side windows but also has two front windows which I don't see on any other Galaxy 225 that I have come across. I have seen old brochures listing a Sport cabin and a Double cabin but still not sure what this boat is.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Post up a pic

what part of the coutry you in and how far are you searching

Spence340

Seaman Apprentice
I'm about 20 miles west of Boston, the boat will be going down to Falmouth, Mass. I'm trying to stay within a hour or two drive of the cape but probably could go a little further.