First boat purchase help 1987 McKee Craft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff689

Cadet
Looking to buy my first boat, wanting one I can use in the bay and just past the pass. Due to my very limited budget of $2,000 I only found 1 boat at the moment. Looking to buy this 1987 Mckee Craft with a 90hp Johnson 2 stroke. They are wanting $1,500. Can anyone tell me anything about this brand boat? Is it any good?

Anything I would need to really inspect or check before I buy it? Not sure of the actual model of boat. THey just got it on trade and have not cleaned it up yet.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do a complete check for rotted/water logged wood. This would include the transom and the stringers underneath the floor. Also look for any cracks and or repairs in the fiberglass to indicate they are trying to hide damage. As for the motor, do a compression check and check the oil in the lower unit for any signs of contamination. If any way possible, take it out on a prolonged test drive to check for any surprises they may not show up while running in a tank. One quick? What part of FL are you in?

Last edited:

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am about 40 minutes north of Tallahassee, if I were close I would offer to come and go over it with you. I will be glad to help you avoid some of the mistakes I have made in the past.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looking at the pictures....This is a 30 year old boat that has seen better days, no fenders on the trl??? those side boards are most definitely BACK YARD engineering. Check for engine water flow, compression check on ALL cyl, soft floor, soft transom, hull cracks. Alot of Mckees out and about down here in Fla. $1500 is about right, expect to do alot of work to the boat, I would be very wary of going out on the Gulf until I was 100% sure I would be making it back to the launch.

jeff689

Cadet
I figured I would need to replace the trailer. The dealer is supposed to be doing a compression test and testing the motor, and going over the boat to be sure everything i good. I will expect it real good myself though before buying now that I know what to look for.

Dumb question, I know you can test drive a car before buying is it wrong to ask to take a boat on a test drive from a dealer?

roffey

Commander
absolutely, in fact don't buy it if you can't water test it first. If the dealer said no, that would be a huge red flag for me.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
If the 'dealer' does all the test on the motor, your can bet for sure they will say everything checks out 'perfect' :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Dumb question, I know you can test drive a car before buying is it wrong to ask to take a boat on a test drive from a dealer?

Yes, although generally how you work it is you make the sale conditional on a successful test drive. You check it out, agree on a price and agree to buy it if the test drive is successful. If issues pop up you can either walk or lower your offer.

jeff689

Cadet
Might have to walk away. The boat had a fish finder on it and the lady called and said they took it off and will not go with boat because it didn't work. She said none of the gauges work or the lights on the boat as well and they will not fix any of it. Also said they do not allow test runs on used boats only new ones.

Tried offering her less for the boat and she said no that she was giving it away at $1,500 and could not go any lower.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Yep, definitely walk away. No test drive for a used boat? Really? Heck I think I would run from that one honestly.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
RUN!!!! Sounds like a typical FL boat dealer. They took the Depth/fish finder off to install on another boat. Look around, you will find a better boat, although you end up spending more. Your 1st boat experience should be enjoyable.

jeff689

Cadet
Ok found another boat a 1976 Arrow glass with a 85hp Evinrude. Everything on boat works, starts right up 125 compression in each cylinder. Looks to be in really good shape. $2,000 Question is would this be a good boat for the bay adn the pass?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Ok found another boat a 1976 Arrow glass with a 85hp Evinrude. Everything on boat works, starts right up 125 compression in each cylinder. Looks to be in really good shape. $2,000 Question is would this be a good boat for the bay adn the pass?

What length boat? Could be decent but check VERY carefully for rot. ANY soft spots in the deck are usually indicative of more rot below in the stringers. Check the transom carefully for flex.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bay on a calm day, but I wouldn't venture outside that. Conditions can change quick on the Gulf.

Bahamas.boy

Recruit
I recently got a 14ft mckee craft , I had it for about 3 mouths now I took my time and worked on the cosmetics throughout the winter. I just now working on the motor but in the mean time I want to enjoy this summer so I was wondering if I put a 18hp on it would it be ok to move the boat comfortably? It's just 2 to 3 persons in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.