Can I restore, or replace my speedo/tach/odometer display?

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I rescued a beautiful '96 four winns 170 horizon fish and ski, last spring, she had been lovingly taken care of for 15 years (used 2 weeks every summer then stored) and then neglected by her new owners for the next 5 years, before I bought it. During those 5 years, a tree had fallen on it, destroying the windshield, and some gel-coat on the transom, ripped the canvas before squirrels made their nest in the canvas too. I had always wanted a four winn's, I jumped on it. The trailer is like new, being 21 years old. I'm still ahead of the game by about $5,000 I figure (based on what I spent, and put into it so far) and want to get her as "new" as possible.

I've had a new windshield custom made. The canvas top repaired after I washed it a couple of times. the floors cleaned, and washed everything down... The upholstery is getting restitched as soon as the snow melts. I repaired some of the gelcoat myself, but it's going to get redone professionally this spring..

The only thing I can't figure out is the dashboard. It's completely oxidized. I have tried toothpaste. I have tried the oxidation remover that I used on the hull, I tried 2 other methods that I can't remember now, but nothing seemed to work. One of the dial guages has fallen out and rests on the bottom of it.... (visible in photo also)

When "wet" with cleaners, it did appear clear, but once dried, it was foggy as ever...

So I have some questions.

1) What can I do with this? Can I replace the whole unit? (see photo) easily enough, and where could I get one? Can I remove the glass and clean it somehow? What should I use for best results?? If I *can* replace it, is it compatible with the newer display, and is it easy to change? Or is this all connected to the motor?

2) where can I get that foam thing that's in the centre of the steering wheel? What's it called? tried many a google search and ebay search to no avail.

Appreciate any help or advice as we get ready for spring! Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo259057.jpg
    photo259057.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259058.JPG
    photo259058.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259059.JPG
    photo259059.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259060.JPG
    photo259060.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • photo259061.JPG
    photo259061.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 0

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
I forgot to tell you. When you go to the fourwinns parts site click on yoru year and model hit submit. When the list pops up click on P/L 170F STEERING OB hover your mouse over the camera to see pictures it shows your steering wheel insert. It looks a little grey but it also shows the tan steering wheel too.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the links, now I have the part number for the foam, and contacted my local dealer for a price.... I will definitely try the baby oil.. hmm. I didn't try that, but I think I used mineral oil once on it with no luck. I don't quote understand the CDI breakdown, if I can just buy a whole new unit, or if I can replace just the glass or how complicated it would be to remove it, but I think it's a start, so I'll do some reading on their website first. Thanks for quick replies!

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
I'm not sure about the cdi process. I would like to know how it works out for you though.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your glass is just plexiglass, remove it and go to a glass shop and they should be ale to make a new one either out of new plexi or even glass

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If the actual gauges themselves are working and the only problem is the dull glass/plastic itself, I would remove it and use some polishing compound for plastic to remove the dull look. It is basically the same dull effect that headlights get from the sun and exposure. So before spending any amount of money, try polishing compounds made for such things first. You will be pleasantly surprised. JMHO