14 foot Starcraft

biggle

Cadet
Hey everyone! I am brand new to the boating world and have 0 experience with anything boating related. I have had my eye on a 14 foot tri-hull starcraft. I am curious if the guy is asking too much for the boat plus accessories, or if he is just about right?
I have been unsuccessful finding any information on that year of starcraft, also the 35 HP Johnson is a 1990.

Sorry in advance if this is in the wrong forum.

Oh and the main purpose for getting this would be as a fishing boat, and maybe pulling a little kiddo on a tube.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
3300 in Idaho, this time of year, unless all is near perfrct running condition and is THE boat you've been looking for, is too high.

1 of the hatches in his ad pix doesnt look to fit entirely right.

The boat looks to have been rebuilt. Unless he can provide detailed in progress pix of the work, its all suspect. As its likely a 197x boat, it probably has been rebuilt. The way some "rebuild" them is less then sufficient, cant say for sure w out putting your hands on it.

For a small family of 3, it might do short-mid term for fishing and tubing, but before you know it, it'll feel crowded w more then 2 fishing. The 35hp is probably about all the boat is rated for.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
30+year old fiberglass boat, 27 year old motor is not worth $3300 anywhere,in my opinion. As a new to boating person, look for a nice 16ft tiller aluminum boat with a 15-35hp motor, easy to use,tow and maintain. Your 1st boat is basically one that you will learn on, why not make it enjoyable! Just My 2cts

biggle

Cadet
No salt water around here. Thanks for pointing out the trailer size, I had not thought about that, but even with the size it is a nice trailer. Would 2500-2800 be a better offer?

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
It's 50 years old. Repeat it's 50 years old. The motor is 27 years old and you have no idea if it has 100 hours or 1000 hours on it. Expect to spend lots of time and money on it. Finally that boat is small for you, spouse and child plus gear. Don't rush into buying your first boat, you will be disappointed. Also see if you can increase your boat budget.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
First off, welcome to iboats.

A heck of a lot of money for that boat.

Better boats are out there for that amount, or less.
Fiberglass boats have a way of hiding hidden damage.

Would rather see you looking at something like this one:

https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/boa/5994175301.html

Find a knowledgable friend to take along on your boat shopping trips.

Then have him show you the ropes, trailer backing, launching, loading, boat basics, safety, how to start and operate, etc.

And take a boating safety course before you head out on the water.
They are available online, and is likely required by the state to operate a boat.

Make sure the title and registration for both the boat and trailer, are in the sellers name.

If you strike a deal to buy a boat, part of the deal should be an on the water demonstration ( a sea trial ) to make sure everything is as advertised and operating as it should.

Relax, enjoy all the boat shopping, take your time, look at lots of boats before you buy.
Come back here and ask us lots of questions.

And read this thread to learn what you need to be looking at while shopping.

For New Members Needing help buying a boat. A Buyer's Checklist.

biggle

Cadet
I am in southeast Idaho. There are a number of small reservoirs close by, two of them are Bass/Trout trophy stocked. Also there are two pretty large lakes, so it would be nice to have something that could work for both. I found an older HewesCraft, 16 foot, with 30HP motor, but it is about 6 hours away. https://billings.craigslist.org/boa/5969279576.html

biggle

Cadet
There is also this larger boat, but it would not work so well on the small rezs

southkogs

Staff member
You don't want the OMC sterndrive hassle in that Reinell anyway.

roffey

Commander
It's 50 years old. Repeat it's 50 years old. The motor is 27 years old and you have no idea if it has 100 hours or 1000 hours on it.

I can see the motor is older but how can you tell the boat is from the 1960's? I'm not calling you out on it just wondering how you can tell with out looking at the HIN.

added after the fact, just noticed the date in the ad reports the manufacturing date of the boat is 1966... yup its a fifty year old boat.

Last edited:

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
I am in southeast Idaho. There are a number of small reservoirs close by, two of them are Bass/Trout trophy stocked. Also there are two pretty large lakes, so it would be nice to have something that could work for both. I found an older HewesCraft, 16 foot, with 30HP motor, but it is about 6 hours away. https://billings.craigslist.org/boa/5969279576.html
Hewes is a AWESOME boat MFG...Top of the line, right with Lund and Alumacraft, might be worth the ride, From the pictures looks like its in good shape...More info???

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Small lake fishing boat nirvana is a nice v hull aluminum 16'r. Stay away from glass boats. Starcraft makes great fishing boats and they're always on CL in E WA and ID.

Anthonym2

Seaman
Thought I would throw in my two cents since i was in your position last year.
Roscoe's post is great and i received something similar on this forum with my very similar questions. I actually paid 3k for a 1980, but what i learned in the buying process was two things.
1. condition is everything, try not to look into age to much but you can typically tell immediately after short conversation and key questions if it was taken care of well. My 35 year old boat was by far in better condition than other boats i looked at in the same price range at half the age.
2. Do some research on what to look for, read the beginner guide sticky on this site, and bring someone who has experience with you if you can. I couldn't get anyone to meet me looking at used boats and i quickly learned that having a marine inspection was costly. Also, its hard to find someone who is willing to trailer their boat for an inspection at this price range. I had a friend i talked to on the phone and walked me through buying......

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Stay away from an IO config especially an old VP or OMC. If your new to boating IOs take lots of maintenance and extra care. Besides that one you posted is most likely a rot bucket from the 80's.

16' aluminum with a 50 to 70 HP outboard would be perfect for fishing your area.

southkogs

Staff member
I just looked around Salt Lake City's Craigslist ... how far are you willing / able to drive? Slim pickings in your area right now.