Morse steering cable compatibility

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have Morse steering on my '91 boat. The cable is stiff, time for a replacement. Will a Seastar/Teleflex cable work?

alldodge

Staff member
I have Morse steering on my '91 boat. The cable is stiff, time for a replacement. Will a Seastar/Teleflex cable work?

That is a tuff question, in most cases I have found it may work but there is (in your case) 24 years of wear. So slop most often can be to great. I would suggest replacing everything, it will work mush better. In any case call Seastar, I'm sure they can answer your questions

dwco5051

Commander
Agree with Alldodge. New cable and helm bought as a package isn't that much more than just the cable Cheap insurance against having to replace the helm in a few years on a 26 year old system.

Bondo

Staff member
New cable and helm bought as a package isn't that much more than just the cable

Ayuh,.... I absolutely Agree,.... The helm is probably worn anyways, 'n the package price is quite reasonable,...

halmc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, gentleman. Sound advice, I gonna get me a new one. As y'all pointed out, the price between a new cable and a new whole shebang makes the cable replacement down right silly. THANKS!

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
FWIW! You will probably spend close to $200 to replace the steering and both cables. It is the BEST thing you will have done for the boat! Changing everything out to new helps you check out the wiring harness; etc. under the dash; and install new hew ties and hangers. Can usually be done in an afternoon. Seastar cables work fine. Shop around for price.