GPS location/mount on Monterey 238 SS

sfinner1

Recruit
Hello,
I have just purchased a new leftover 2015 Monterey 238SS. There is no room on the dash to mount a GPS and have been looking at RAM mounts. GPS will be a 7" Garmin 7607 xsv . Has anyone done this, mounted a new GPS on a full dash ? What product do you recommend ? Are you happy with it ? Any suggestions ?
I would love pics of existing similar GPS's mounted on sillier dash configurations.
Attaching a picture of dash. Brown is mine. Other for representation but same boat. 238SS IMG_0464.JPG 00w0w_2fjlGGUdSdg_1200x900 - Copy.jpg
Thanks so much,
Scott

Alumarine

Captain
I've used a ram mount for a humminbird 1157 which weighs about 14 lbs.
It works well. We don't even remove it when trailering.
Mounted it between the shifter and the panel.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I have 2 Ram mounts on my dash where it looked like I could only mount 1 unit. 1 for a 7" Humming Bird that doesn't have much in the way of swivelling side to side or front to back. The Ram mount gives me more movement. The Ram with the smaller Garmin unit on it sits beside the other and slightly in front of the HB and I can move that too so I can see both where there is very little room and not block my gauges or switches. I might mount yours just right and below the gauge on your starboard side if it will fit. Put the unit on it and hold it where you think you will mount it and move it around to see if you can get to switches and see everything on your dash. If you are concerned about the weight install a backer plate of aluminum or plywood behind the dash where you will screw the Ram in. I don't know how much room is between the dash and wind shied. That's another spot you can mount it but you may get a bit of a blind spot. That is if there is a flat spot. Another spot would be right of the dash on the bottom side of the gunnel. But not on the curve. You want a flat surface.

sfinner1

Recruit
Thanks Chief.
I agree. Looks like the gunnel, forward of throttle with a swing arm mount would give the most "elbow room". I will attach a pic of mount I believe would be most advantageous. I am hoping that the mount here would allow me to fold GPS flat to starboard and come to my center dash (or so) when desired . I don;t mind covering up gauges when I choose, as GPS also has engine data capability. I am hoping someone has nailed this and will post a picture of a similar setup. Windshield is low on a steep incline, no way to mount there reasonably. As I said, looking for a picture of
successful mount. When I manage mine, I will post pics because I am sure many folks would be interested. I have been looking fairly hard and see no close representational images.
Mount is RAM-109V-2U
You can see the vertical mount for gunnel, the decent extension of the combined arms, and at mount end for GPS is a flex-ball and socket for switching to a standing position at helm. These are pretty large mounts, so in the absence
of a picture by someone. I will have to have the mount in hand and either the unit itself, or at least a block of wood representing GPS size to determine if this is reasonable for my application.
Hoping for a relative picture by someone who has managed this consideration.

Thanks again Chief,
Scott

Scott RAM-109V-2U.jpg

NHskier

Cadet
Another option may be to mount it on the windscreen brace post that's on the left side of your dash. I've done that with my Garmin unit and it's worked out quite well. The actual mounting component RAM-B-231ZU is what's typically used to mount something on motorcycle or ATV handlebars. Use one of their adjustable arms like [FONT=Montserrat, sans-serif]RAM-B-201U-C and then a unit-specific bracket for your GPS and you're all set.[/FONT]

[FONT=Montserrat, sans-serif]I had to do a minor bit of engineering in that the brace on my boat is considerably smaller in diameter than handlebars. So I used a very short piece of PVC-like tubing to fit around the brace to increase the diameter, and with the adapter that's provided with the u-bolt mount it fits well and holds tight all season long. The other nice thing about this setup is it's completely removable - no holes drilled.

I'd post a picture but it's winter here in New Hampshire and my boat is tucked away sound asleep in a rack at the marina.

NHskier
[/FONT]

Slip Away

Lieutenant
Order a 2016 dash insert from your dealer. Expensive, but slick looking.
6A1FD28B-BBA8-41FE-B438-872D67A22BA5.jpg