Gunwale Foam on Duranautic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

slepskje

Recruit
Hi, first post on here. I just purchased a 1980 Duranautic 16 ft offshore side console, and it has foam flotation material running along the gunwales from bow to stern on both sides. It;s in rough shape and I was thinking to just get rid of it since I doubt it is functional (when you rub it, it comes off in a powdery form). Does anyone know if this stuff was USCG mandatory, or put on after-market? It is/was the same foam green color as the inside of the boat. I have no plans to use this boat in the ocean, just local lakes.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Can you get some photos? Hard to tell if the foam will work or not. Probably should be replaced, but boats don't sink in fresh water. :doh:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Although small boats were required to have foam flotation for a lot of years, the older ones would only have flotation under the floor. When they swamped, they would float upside down. Newer boats have gunwale flotation in addition. It is hoped that they will float level, if swamped.

I would test the foam, and if functional, keep it. Dig out a chunk and test it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

the foam is there to protect your butt when the boat sinks. doesnt matter if the boat is in the ocean, a lake, pond, river, swamp or moat

it was added by the manufacturer thru federal requirements that are derived from international law.

the fact that your nearly 40 year old boat may need to be refoamed is not news. the foam has a finite life and your boat is past its design life (both the boat and the foam)

if the foam it that bad, I would dig it out, flip the boat and refoam it your looking at a weekend project and a few $ in foam

edwardpsr

Recruit
Have 1978 and 1979 they both have foam in seats the 79 had it along sides on top but it's gone . They will float with the foam under seats I'm sure. You know you shouldn't flip it .

aspeck

Staff member
Have 1978 and 1979 they both have foam in seats the 79 had it along sides on top but it's gone . They will float with the foam under seats I'm sure. You know you shouldn't flip it .
The OP joined Feb 18th, 2017, posted this, and hasn't been back since Feb 20th, 2017. Please review the rules and refrain from posting to a thread that has been dormant for more than 90 days. Thank-you.

Status
Not open for further replies.