Boat Recommendations

cm9365

Recruit
We are seniors looking to purchase a used speed boat (already have a pontoon) that is easy to dock, easy to get in and out, planes easily, dependable. Would greatly appreciate suggestions of brands/models both pro and con. Thank you.

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard cm.

What kind of water are you on (lake, ocean, river)? What are you wanting to do on your next boat (cruise, fish, ski, etc.)? And what are you looking to spend? Some of that information will help us make some suggestions.

My folks have gotten to a point where getting in and out of the boat is more challenging than it has been in the past. The pontoon has been the best solution for them, but a deck boat would work almost as well.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
what he said ^^^^

also what part of the country, matters a bit to what is common and avail. Budget? Guests?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
:welcome:

What qualities of the pontoon do you like? And dislike?

cm9365

Recruit
We are on a lake in Indiana. Would like seating for 6 maybe 8. Not serious skiiers, mostly tubing with grandkids. Enjoy leisure rides around the lake. I have looked into boat steps with handles which looks like they would help with in and out. We have just been looking online and adds so far. Seems what we might be interested in is running about $5,000-$10,000. Some even lower. Just don't want a money pit. Thanks for your help!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
About 99% of the $5,000 boats will need a great deal of work, and a few months of repairs, this is less likely as the price goes up.

A pontoon boat will typically need much less work and allow enough space for everyone.

cm9365

Recruit
We have a pontoon. Looking for something easier to manuver in our docking area.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You need a 20'+ boat and upwards of $10,000 to get something that will be in good enough condition so you can just go out and use it right away. Most boats that are less than that have a bunch of hidden issues that you don't detect before buying, then they suck money and time out of your life until you get it fixed.

​It's not that there are no boats under that price range worth buying, but it's like playing the lottery, same odds.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Can you post some links to some of the boats that interest you? We can give some additional feedback and suggestions.

southkogs

Staff member
Two suggestions: some of the deck boats that have been made may do okay for what you want to do. Perhaps not great with that many people aboard, but okay - especially for tubing. Otherwise, you'll have to get into a pretty big bow rider to keep things working well.

Since you already have a 'toon, something my family has done for years: we put the crowd on the pontoon and park it out on the lake somewhere. Then we have a smaller boat that'll tow skiers with just a few people on board. That'll keep you to a more reasonable sized powerboat if you like. It doesn't solve the docking issues with the 'toon - but it doesn't add any new tricks to the game either.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could look into deck boats. basically the love-child offspring of a bow rider and a pontoon. would be easier to get into than a bow rider.

as for handling around a dock, not sure you would see an improvement. boats react to helm inputs well at really low speeds. having twin engines helps

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Have you looked into a 16ft Bayliner Element with a 60hp Merc?

Never heard of it. Neat looking boat. I would try and find one with a 75hp if I was interested in buying...........

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Never heard of it. Neat looking boat. I would try and find one with a 75hp if I was interested in buying...........
You can buy a new one with a 75hp Merc..The standard one comes with a 60hp, 60hp Bigfoot and 75 are optional.
Look at the baylinerownersclub (BOC) Many people have them, also has on water reviews. If I were in the market,I wouldn't mind the standard rig, as I'm not interested in going real fast.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
You can buy a new one with a 75hp Merc..The standard one comes with a 60hp, 60hp Bigfoot and 75 are optional.
Look at the baylinerownersclub (BOC) Many people have them, also has on water reviews. If I were in the market,I wouldn't mind the standard rig, as I'm not interested in going real fast.

I saw that, but if you load it up with people and gear then do water sports, I don't think that 60 would be very satisfying. It's not a light boat to begin with either. I have an al Crestliner 16' fishing boat with a side console and a 4 stroke 60. I wouldn't mind a 75. It's rated for 90. And it's lighter than the Bayliner. A 90 would be too much for me, but a 75 would be perfect....

Still like the hull........

lugster84

Seaman Apprentice
So based on feedback from this very sight 12 years ago I bought a 89 Regal I/O 4.3 litre and loved it. I owned a pontoon for a couple of years (mainly for my father, small 9.9 motor) and really didn't appreciate pontoons. Fast forward 12 years later and I now have an 07 20' Hurricane Deck Boat with a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke (pulls Slalom skiers). I kind of fell into it and upgraded from my Regal (not really thinking I would love it). After 1 season and anxiously waiting for another, I must say I am very impressed. My recommendation would be to sell the pontoon and look for a deck boat (also would recommend minimum 150 hp), the main reason for this as well is owning 2 boats is a major PIA! Deck boats seem to have peaked out and you really don't see many of them available. The new pontoons are pretty crazy too with the tritoons and big outboards.

Good luck!