Carpet Stickum Q's

Rodinator

Recruit
I just purchased some marine carpet made by Lancer. I had planned to use contact cement but was told by their representative that only Lancer Carpet Adhesive could be used. Has anyone used this adhesive and is the carpet really a no-go with contact cement?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Rodinator Welcome aboard.

This is your new thread moved from another which was several years old and inactive.

roffey

Commander
Personally, I would go with what the manufacturer wants. You likely are paying good money for the carpet might as well go with what they ask. Just a question, what not go with a snap in carpet. I know you can get grommets that just press in. This way you can remove the carpet for cleaning when (not if) required.

http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Cover-Grommets-Snaps/dm/view_id.216559

oh, and welcome aboard...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
With any glue, paint chemical concoction or such things like that, there is always a MSDS sheet available. I would be interested in seeing what their glue had that other glues don't. Just my opinion.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, there are lots of outdoor carpet adhesive brands available in oil and latex formulations. Obviously there is an incentive to the rep to recommend their brand of adhesive. I would ask him why it is the only adhesive.

Some years ago Contact cement was the only way to install marine carpeting. Not so anymore...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I've installed boat carpet numerous times using the inexpensive Roberts outdoor carpet adhesive from Lowes/Home Depot. It'll rip the carpet before it'll pull the glue up. Solid.