When does Dock Decking need to be replaced?

arminius

Seaman Apprentice
I bought house on lake in MN last Summer and dock decking looks beat up but seems structurally sound (and it sits on metal). I pulled up one of the 8ft sections and attached the pictures below. Thoughts?

Attachments

• photo258809.JPG
    photo258809.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo258810.JPG
    photo258810.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 0

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
If it's not rotted it's fine. I chose not to treat the cedar decking with my first dock because I didn't want it slippery when wet. It grayed and looked weathered after one season. I stored it inside the garage during winter to keep it dry & pro-long its life. With my second dock I went with decking not made of wood. I'm in MN also, but my lake property is in WI.

jkust

Rear Admiral
We are on a lake in MN as well. While we have a Floe Aluminum Dock and boat lift set up, there are still home wood holdouts around on the lake as you would imagine. Your decking looks just fine as long as it is structurally sound.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... I replace my deck boards when they're rotten, 'n no longer will support my weight,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The dock section in the picture probably has another 20 years before I would worry about it. as everyone else stated, you change them when someone breaks thru them

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You need to replace the decking (and longitudinal supports) right after you fall through the deck. If the deck feels like you are walking on a sponge it's time for repairs.

eterry

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When does the deck need replacing ??? Right before you fall through it !!