Trim Tabs in EXTREME conditions

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
When in the thick of nasty conditions when the pucker factor is close to 100% who takes the time to adjust/run trim tabs if you have them? I have read a lot of what they can do and what you could use them for in bad conditions, in reality are they actually used when conditions get really bad, or is this more theory vs reality? A bunch of reviews I have read the tabs have been used more for convenience ( softer ride in chop, limiting spray in boat, quicker planing, ect.) Personal examples and experience are appreciated.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure of your situation, but I adjust tabs as often as needed as needed for conditions. where people are in the boat, etc. For the 25 ft express cruiser I'm running in a wide variety of conditions, they are almost a necessity

Thinking more about it, in extreme conditions, I may not be running fast enough for the tabs to have much effect

Last edited:

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I think that depends on the conditions,.. big swells you would want trim tabs up to keep bow high to roll over swell,.. in chop you may choose trim tabs lowered to lower bow into more of a cutting attitude.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
It depends on what you call "extreme" conditions and what size/ type boat your in. I can tell from experience that they perform well in small craft advisories.

For me, it's more of a situation than condition thing. Following seas and running inlets my tabs are up. Otherwise, they're in the water doing their job.

tpenfield

Staff member
In my experience blowing through 4-6 foot chop, you rarely have time to adjust the trim tabs to the changing conditions. I find that the most important thing is to get the boat to come down into the next wave in a level orientation so that you get the most benefit from the V-hull and avoid a 'flat' landing on one side of the hull.

There is no way that you can adjust a trim tab in the fraction of a second that you have to react to the 'next wave'. Quick adjustments with the steering,which will quickly change the entry attitude of the boat, are far more effective in making these split second adjustments.

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
Thanks for the replies, maybe a better way to state my question is in certain really bad water conditions are trim tabs a very useful tool, or just left up and steering and throttle are delivered full attention. Extreme is relative to any boat so size of boat vs state of seas would/should be kinda equal in my thinking.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In really bad water I see no use for them to be down at all. It's been awhile since I been in bad water in a boat with trim tabs, but I would put them full up when the water got rough. Sometimes you need to hit the throttle to try and raise the nose above on oncoming wave, it's harder to raise the nose it the tabs are trying to keep it down!

JoLin

Vice Admiral
In 'really bad' water conditions I wouldn't be going fast enough for them to have any effect. I'd be off plane doing 12 mph or less. If I even thought of them, I guess I'd put them up.

My .02

shaw520

Chief Petty Officer
I agree that the only benefit from tabs are when on plane,.. you shouldnt be on plane in really rough water.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
And this is why if you ever boat in seas like this, you don't want to have smart tabs on your boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I adjust the tabs often, and try to have a bit of bow down attitude with the drive trimmed all the way in with most rough water. Sometimes its biased to port or starboard (depending on wind) If i need to raise the bow for a wave, i goose the throttle. I have been known to adjust tabs long after I puckered the upholstery off the seat.
As Bruce mentioned, smart tabs have no place in rough water

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Extreme is relative to any boat so size of boat vs state of seas would/should be kinda equal in my thinking.

Hull design has a far greater impact than length on how a boat handles a given condition unless you go to extremes. Having worn both shoes, what I consider "extreme/ rough" is a whole lot different captaining the typical "Fish and Ski" than an offshore fishing boat of the same length.

Case in point....I see some comments above that make me cringe knowing how my boat reacts given a similar situation. That's not saying that it's not the right reaction for their boat, just that it's not the right reaction for the design of my hull.

To get a "real life" answer, what type of boat do you have and where are you boating? What conditions do you hope to overcome?

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Once I set the zero on my Bennett tabs, they automagically adjust depending on the position of the boat. At that speed I don't spend a lot of time worrying about them, but I will over ride and raise them in a following sea and leave them there.
Tabs don't just raise and lower the bow of the boat, they also work to keep it on an even keel and can cut down on yaw quite a bit.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I use my trim tabs in severe weather on my 22' wake boat. We are on a large mountain lake and weather can come up much faster than you can get home on occasion. If you don't get on plane, or partly on plane you can wind up going backwards into shore. The ability to set the attitude of the hull by using the tabs is critical to travel at a speed that works for the conditions you are in. Idling or floating can be dangerous. They are a tool you can use to control your boat just like the throttle and rudder. Use them, if you have them.
I have been in five foot swells with winds of over 60 mph and can assure you that my boat is safer when you use the trim tabs. Those are not not conditions that you plan to be out in, but it can happen. I appreciate the Bennett company.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have been on rough water on a lake but I am really talking about ocean. Last time I was in rough water on an ocean, I was in danger of stuffing my bow into the wave in front of me. When you are in the trough, you don't even see land anymore. There is no way you want trim tabs deployed in that instance and there is absolutely no way you can be on plane.

SHOTGUN RUSS

Seaman
I am more trying to see if Trim tabs are advantageous for really bad conditions, or more to enhance the boat's attitude and ride for comfort and economy. That is why I ask those that have had them and are experienced with using them all the time, actually take the time in those "Pucker" moments to adjust them. Thanks again for all the replies, seems most so far are not normally using the tabs in bad water. I realize that there are so many different bad conditions so the examples given and any more also give good insight.

Last edited:

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
If you're trying to decide whether or not to get trim tabs, let us know what your boat is and what water you plan to go out on (or plan to). Plenty of experience here that can be conveyed, more than just some generalities

shrew

Lieutenant
.....nasty conditions when the pucker factor is close to 100%.....

This is subjective. This is not a description of sea state. This is a description of an individuals perception and reaction to sea state. I've heard people (on this forum) describe 2 -4 ft seas like they were in "The Perfect Storm".

Trim tabs are really only effective at planing or high semi-displacement speeds. If it's truly that rough, you'll more than likely be slowed to the point that tabs are ineffective. At full displacement speed you would want them all the way up anyway. If you're travelling at 18-22 kts, then the sea state does not warrant a 'PuckerFactor=100%' rating to begin with.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
99% of what I use the trim tabs for on my Sundancer is simply to adjust list while on plane.